Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which big turbine...AMT...JC...or ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which big turbine...AMT...JC...or ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Which big turbine...AMT...JC...or ?

What id the service interval for a AMT? is it 25 hours like the others?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
scheur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope....50 hours

regards, Roland
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys,

In 1997 Bennie told me 1000 starts before I have to think about service on my AMT Pegasus MK. 2 (Netherlands) - It's now 13 years later and I have still not had it serviced................still running like the proverbial Swiss clock.

Cheers

Jan
Old 03-09-2010, 03:35 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jan, that's amazing to hear!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Springbok Flyer

Mate,

The Pegasus Mk.2 is my oldest turbine and was the first I ever bought. As stated above (in another post on the thread) I own another 4 x Netherlands AMT's. All bought over the past 13 years, and all running the same, and all without any service required up to now. I might add - I always cool my turbines down to under 100 degrees C before I switch off. I use an electric ducted fan which I put into my jet's tail pipe which then 'suck' air trough the turbine. This is done after the ECU has gone to re-start clearance around 139 degrees C and finished it's own cool down cycle. This cooling method actually makes the turbine turn at about 1500rpm during the process. Maybe that's why I have not ever had any issues.

Cheers

Jan
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM
dos007

OK I made up my mind and have ordered the AMT Oly. I want to see the quality and durability for myself that all of you guys who own have discussed.

Thanks for your input and I will post again once I get the turbine.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: dos007

OK I made up my mind and have ordered the AMT Oly. I want to see the quality and durability for myself that all of you guys who own have discussed.

Thanks for your input and I will post again once I get the turbine.
Congratulations with the best of the best model turbine in the world!!! :-)
I bought a OLY HP electric start last october for my Ultra Lightning and absolutely love it!!!
This turbine feels like a value for life.
This is the only turbine that sounds like the real thing, especially if you throttle it up fast. ;-)
What amazed me as well is that the Oly is fuel efficient under partial power.
My P-160SX powered UL (flew most of the time full power to give it a descent speed) used the same amount of fuel (same flighttime) as my Oly powered UL.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:05 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

does Bennie service US made AMT 450?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Springbok Flyer

mate,

If Bennie from AMT Netherlands can help, he will. Just ask him.

Cheers

Jan
Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

yes they will. (based on my experience a few years ago)

ORIGINAL: thunderbolt-RCU

does Bennie service US made AMT 450?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 AM
hodderjohn

Congratulations with the best of the best model turbine in the world!!! :-)
I bought a OLY HP electric start last october for my Ultra Lightning and absolutely love it!!!
This turbine feels like a value for life.
This is the only turbine that sounds like the real thing, especially if you throttle it up fast. ;-)
What amazed me as well is that the Oly is fuel efficient under partial power.
My P-160SX powered UL (flew most of the time full power to give it a descent speed) used the same amount of fuel (same flighttime) as my Oly powered UL.
[/quote]

Hi Didler
How does your Olympus start up? With my Olympus, (Brand new electric start), when the fuel starts to come on it has a far bit of a flame comming out the ass end for about 10 seconds, one of the supports for the centre cone in the tail pipe becomes red hot and is starting to warpe, as well as the out side of the tail pipe at about the 5 oclock area looking from the rear. I'm abit scared to put an engine in a model that does this.
Anyone with a AMT Olympus that has any suggestions about what would cause this to happen please tell me.
Regards
John

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
dos007

My Oly shipped yesterday...just a few more days and I will see the quality for myself.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Didier

ORIGINAL: hodderjohn
Hi Didler
How does your Olympus start up? With my Olympus, (Brand new electric start), when the fuel starts to come on it has a far bit of a flame comming out the ass end for about 10 seconds, one of the supports for the centre cone in the tail pipe becomes red hot and is starting to warpe, as well as the out side of the tail pipe at about the 5 oclock area looking from the rear. I'm abit scared to put an engine in a model that does this.
Anyone with a AMT Olympus that has any suggestions about what would cause this to happen please tell me.
Regards
John

Hello John.

Try not to use to much gas pressure when starting the turbine.
Best is to use a regulator. I do it without a regulator but check the egt during start-up and open the gas valve only a little bit.
Also check "adress 85" (start up voltage pump) when handshaking the ECU to a PC.
Mine was set on "95" (0,86V) and is now set on "90" (0,81V) . This will help as well.
AMT didn't recommend to me to go lower then "85" on adress 85.
Before you do this, please contact Bennie from AMT to be sure as each pump is tested and matched to the ECU!!!
Small flames during start-up will not harm the engine.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 AM
hodderjohn

[/quote]

Hello John.

Try not to use to much gas pressure when starting the turbine.
Best is to use a regulator. I do it without a regulator but check the egt during start-up and open the gas valve only a little bit.
Also check ''adress 85'' (start up voltage pump) when handshaking the ECU to a PC.
Mine was set on ''95'' (0,86V) and is now set on ''90'' (0,81V) . This will help as well.
AMT didn't recommend to me to go lower then ''85'' on adress 85.
Before you do this, please contact Bennie from AMT to be sure as each pump is tested and matched to the ECU!!!
Small flames during start-up will not harm the engine.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks Didier
It has been back to Bennie but seems to have come back about the same to me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If I start it with only the gas hooked up, it fires up fine, it is only when the fuel come on that one section get red hot, the red hot section is in about the 5 ocock location looking from the rear, it heats up one of the five support and the out side out the exhaust cone, these stay red hot for some time. (about 3/4" DIA)
Bennie has advised me to run the pump for an hour or so to free it up and to run it in abit, I will try this soon.
Do you have an Olympus ? if so does it get red hot in one area on start up as this one does? If it does it will set my mind at rest.
The pump voltage on my engine is factory set at .66 so that will be the first thing I'll change. (just to check)
I have been using the supplyed gas canister that comes with the engine, I fill it with the overflow valve open and when it fills to 70% I stop filling and then close the valve.
Regards
John
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Springbok Flyer

John,

I don't have an Olympus, but all my other AMT's have a hotspot (as you say around 5 o'clock) when they start up.

Cheers

Jan
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 AM
hodderjohn

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

John,

I don't have an Olympus, but all my other AMT's have a hotspot (as you say around 5 o'clock) when they start up.

Cheers

Jan
Thanks for the reply Jan
Do you Jan or any one with an AMT engine use the black gas cylinder that AMT supply with the engine? and do you have it on bord when flying. If so how do you fill it (open the overflow untill the gas comes out than shut it) and what gas do you use, over in Aust we use the Propane/Butane mix. The instructions say to use Propane only and I have tryed this with no luck. There is no way to adjust the pressure of the gas when using this canister.
The start up might be just fine and I'm worrying about nothing with the hot spot, I would like someone how is running a Olympus HP electric start to let me know if it is something to worry about or not.
Regards
John
Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Springbok Flyer

John,

Sorry mate can't help you there - I only use airstart AMT's. All my startup equipment stays on the ground - don't believe in adding more wing loading than I need and hate to have to buy startup equipment for every jet I own. What's more, why carry in the plane what you need on the ground, in the air?

As for start-up gas, I just use the Butane 70% and Propane 30% cannisters that you can buy at any camping equipment retailer - personally prefer the Coleman's brand.

Cheers

Jan
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 AM
hodderjohn

Thanks Jan
I have deceided not to put the gas cylinder in the model, but I will use the it for starting, and that is the same Butane/Propane mix I use.
Regards
John
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Didier

ORIGINAL: hodderjohn

Thanks Jan
I have deceided not to put the gas cylinder in the model, but I will use the it for starting, and that is the same Butane/Propane mix I use.
Regards
John
Good choice not to use the gas cylinder in the model. Try to use only propane, not a mixture.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Hey Guys,

I just got my brand new Olympus electric start. It is a masterpeice. Everything looks strong and beefy, I cant wait to test it out.

Just a few things, is the engine supposed to come with a yellow manual?? I recieved no instructions. Am I supposed to down load this from web site??

Any way looking forward to much success with this heavy metel engine.

Kevin
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

Hey Guys,

I just got my brand new Olympus electric start. It is a masterpeice. Everything looks strong and beefy, I cant wait to test it out.

Just a few things, is the engine supposed to come with a yellow manual?? I recieved no instructions. Am I supposed to down load this from web site??

Kevin

Congrats Kevin !!!!! You have just bought the best of the best !!!!!! Yes there should be a Owners Manual with it, and yes it is ( or was Yellow ) . Must have gotten missed in packing, unless Bennie sends it separate.... can't imagine that... Give him a call and I'm sure it will be on its way. Very good to keep as well, It will have your serial number and stuff in the book for you records. I know what you are feeling, when I got my Pegusus HP I just wanted to mount it on the wall and stare it !!!!! Keep us posted !!!!

Danno
Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Didier

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

Hey Guys,

Kevin
Hey Kevin.

Congratulation as well.
Once you hear the intake sound when spooling up the engine, you will smile from ear to ear. ;-)
The manual, including the telemetry software, is on the provided CD-ROM, if you like to have a hard copy, give Bennie a call.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Kmarks

Are we really Crazy???

Because just holding this engine puts a smile on my face and the thoughts of all that power and really fast spool up/dn time just makes me want to start it up this very second.

I will keep you fella's posted.

Kevin
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Kmarks

I found the instructions on the CDrom, and have a question regarding the set up on single channel.

The instructions describe how to set up the CTF lead to the futaba plug on ECU and the second plug goes into the JR plug on the switch channel. So I have set up the ECU to work just on the Throttle channel, and all seems to work great.

The instructions say to leave this CTF cord connected to the ECU and mount it in safe place.

Why does this cord need to be left connected??

Thanks

Kevin
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
dos007

Kevin I just got my Oly as well and I can't wait to start it. What plane are you putting yours in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.