Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

It's ready for maiden, however.......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

It's ready for maiden, however.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: It's ready for maiden, however.......

Lovely jet. Good luck getting it sorted and flying.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at pages 18+19 of this thread>>> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...18/key_/tm.htm

some guys make the "blow-in"doors on the back deck functional.... this allows more cooling air to enter the rear of the fuse
either by servo linkage or air draw from the turbine. Ihad this system on both a FeiBao F9F and a Der Jet. Iused a Wren 160
for power with a 35mm gap between the end of the tailcone and the bellmouth

good luck
Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
geh3

Pics here, blow in doors closed and open on the real plane,these would open while
the turbine was idling and just before takeoff, then they would close...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50298.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1398125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54237.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1398126  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

The pipe is out. Those blow in doors are awesome. I am gonna install them while I wait for the new pipe. Doesn't look too difficult to do. Thanks, Alex.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM
geh3

You just cut them carefully with a diamond wheel (dremel )for the straight lines and a small thin jigsaw blade on the corners, take your time and they will look factory installed!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard some great reports for the new oscillatory cutter that dremel has out now (like the one Fein has had out for woodworkers...) .. apparently "just the ticket" for jobs like this. And who wouldn't like an excuse to buy a new "right tool for the job" :-)

Dave
Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Alex:

OK, first, absolutely do not fly with this pipe. Good, pipe has been removed. Second, I have pipes in stock. Please call me to discuss.
Third. . .remember when I checked out your Cougar? I suggested you move the turbine away from the pipe allowing a minimum of an inch preferably 1.5 inches between the end of the nozzle and belmounth (metal) of the pipe. This allows for the pressure area around the nozzle of the turbine to increase. . .pulling in air and keeping the pipe cool. Turbine too close to the pipe and heat rises proportionately. This is what appears to have happened.
Fourth. . .There are Cougars flying with Rhino @ 36lb, Super Eagle @ 30 lb (mine included) P-120 as well as other turbines. None report any issue with the pipe. Centering is just as important as distance from bellmouth.
Fifth. . .Dude ! You are my friend and I hear about this from another Cougar customer this morning ! Why didn't you call me. I am 10 minutes away and would have driven over with pipe in hand !
Let me hear from you. Tried your cell, but you must have been in surgury.

R/,
Eric
Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
JetCatJimmy

I have that Dremel tool - called the MultiMax. It's amazing. Cuts through drywall like a hot knife through butter. But check Harbor Freight if you want a smokin' deal on one. I paid $75 I think and Harbor's is almost HALF that. Plus going to HF is like Christmas coming early.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...116&pricetype=
Old 03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
vetagator

I spoke with Eric this morning. When it comes to customer service, he's the man. As I posted earlier in the thread, I wasn't concerned cuz I knew he would take care of the issue, but this guy is on it. Anyways, let this thread be a lesson to newbies. Eric DID clearly discuss with me the distance between the cone and tail pipe while going over the install. It didn't register with me at the time[>:], and I forgot all about it. My bad. After examining the pipe last night and this morning, it was clearly not heat related but pressure related. The pipe was sucked in. New pipe will be in hand shortly (literally). I am still gonna do the blow in doors though. Sorry Eric for not calling you first, but then I wouldn't of had an excuse to post my pix of my new ride . I am also trying to stump your customer service. So far, I haven't been able too......AND THAT IS GOOD MY FRIEND. Peace, Alex. Now back to work.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Vetagator:
What is the distance between the front of the engine and the back of the intake duct?
Just curious. (There should be a large enough gap there for fresh air into the tail pipe system).

Good luck with your maiden.

Jack
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
vetagator

Jack, I will have to check tonight. Now that I know what happened, I understand the physics behind allowing enough fresh air to come around the turbine and into the pipe. So I will make sure to have enough space between the rear of the inlet duct and the front cover of the turbine. These are things that I really took for granted and overlooked. At the time I just figured that air came through the inlet, through the turbine and out the back. This is the first "piped" plane that I build myself. My bandit and lightning were built for me. My other jets didn't require pipes (kangaroo, bobcat, kingcat, boomerang). "Live and Learn", Alex. Now back to work again.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
vetagator

New Pipe installed. Looks and works great! No Problems. Check out my blow-in doors. It took me 2 hours of messing around trying to figure out a way to do this and about 30 minutes to make and install. These doors will seal tight and remain solid when open. When I cut out the doors, they warped, so I had to laminate them with light ply. I had to put the arms at the front edge of the door because the rear part seals first (because the cover has a complex curve in this area). When the front edge is pressed tightly against the lip, it makes a tight seal all around. Next step is to install the servo. Easy peasy. And then, paint it and make it look goooooood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu61120.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1400847   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa86880.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	1400848   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw57045.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	1400849   Click image for larger version

Name:	rl25313.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1400850   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs96706.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	1400851   Click image for larger version

Name:	of58078.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	1400852   Click image for larger version

Name:	uw44302.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1400853  
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Great job on the blow in doors ! Can't wait to see them working.
Just don't forget to use the correct oil.