Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TURBINE CHOICE

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TURBINE CHOICE

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
kingtight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBINE CHOICE

I caught in some difficulty deciding which turbine to purchase, this will be my first and i want one in the 19# range.Im thinking rabbit,booster 90 ,kinGtech 90 or by a long shot p-80se.I want a fast throttle response which will be a good choice
This is for a SM viper 2m
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TURBINE CHOICE

I'm just about to order a SM 2M Viperjet and have gone with the Jets-Munt Merlin 90.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

KingTech 80[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

I have the rabbit. The spool up is wicked fast. With my hand data terminal plugged in, from the time I start moving the throttle stick (not when it gets to full, but the time I start moving it) to the time the data terminal reads full rpm is usually a bit less then 3 seconds. However I would call it 3 seconds. Once you get off idle to say around 1/4 stick, it's a second if not a bit faster. Fastest spooling turbine I have ever seen.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
RCI/Skymaster
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I’ve seen the Viper 2M Perform in person @ Florida jets with a P-80SE.

The performance was incredible with the 22# of power.

I would say this is the best combination you can get with the power and throttle response.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just went through the same scenario and ended up buying a Merlin 90K for my FEJ 1/8 F-16. So far I'm impressed with it but I've done only a few starts and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Of the available choices I felt that the Kingtech and P-80 are too big and heavy for their thrust levels.

The Merlin 90, Rabbit, EvoJet Booster 90, and Wren SuperSport are all state of the art engines with excellent efficiency, power/weight ratio, and throttle response. The Merlin and EvoJet have the added advantage of kero start.

The best advise is to talk to the other jet jocks in your club. There's an advantage to flying the same brand as your buddies in case you have questions regarding set-up or parameter adjustments. It's a learning experience and the local expertise will come in handy.

Joe
Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
siclick33

The Merlin 90 is 300g lighter than the Kingtech, is smaller and puts out a minimum of 2.5lbs more thrust. At least the Kingtech is cheap!!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

The Rabbit is now Kerostart as well. According to Jet Central, you can start it either way. They are brand new on the market. My buddy has one and it starts awesome.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

King....

Let me offer my personal experience with the evoJet Booster 90. We have been flying the 90 for nearly a year now and have more than a 100 gallons of fuel through ours, this engine just works! So many advantages to the Booster line of engines, the internal 12v Kero start just being one of them! Spool times are super quick and the ease of starting speaks for itself.... This is the choice we have gone with in our new Bandit.... Needless to say, I highly recommend them!

I would direct your attention to http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9282107/tm.htm

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
rorrock

The Rabbit is a rock solid performer.. And it's definaly dual start now (kero/gas) with brilliant spool up times.. Not to mention the lifetime warranty..
Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rabbit is IT for this thrust class!!! Thrust, Weight, Fuel consumption is waaay better with mid to high stick settings, you can choose as the user to go kero start or propane at any time, 1.5 second throttle delay, lifetime warranty!!! A shoe in, man!

Good luck,
Rex
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
kingtight
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks now its narrow down to just 2 you guys are making it easier now rabbit or booster 90. Are the rabbits coming with kero and/or propane start now?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
siclick33

Merlin 90 is more powerful than the Rabbit according to the specs.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: kingtight

Thanks now its narrow down to just 2 you guys are making it easier now rabbit or booster 90. Are the rabbits coming with kero and/or propane start now?
They are NOW coming with capacity to switch between the two at any time...you as the user!!!! I prefer the Jet Central engines simply for customer service and the fact that they are so close to home here and not over the pond. Have had at least (6) JC turbines, not one issue EVER!

With the Viper, my opinion is not raw power, but solid performance and stuff like the throttle response, kero/propane toggle, etc. If it were going on a Bandit...RAW power is it!!! (my opinion only)

US Managing Partner is Eric Clapp...great guy! Intensely friendly and helpful!!!
His e-mail is [email protected]

Best of luck to you,
Rex
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
SinCityJets

KT,

All our engines are internal kero start with just a single fuel line running back to the engine. We have just released our newest update to the 90, which now includes an internal exhaust cone to help reduce the noise, as well as bumping up the power about another pound. I will be posting pictures of the new turbine later this week. It's appearance is basically the same, with the addition of the internal cone.

Our turbines provide the cleanest install, with no external sensors mounted on the turbine, and single fuel line installation. The evoJet family of engines boast the most technologically advanced turbines in the industry, with a fixed 25 hour service fee and near 24/7 service. Ask any of our customers, we are almost always available to answer your calls, even on Sundays (especially important while you're at the field.)

We make our engines reliable so they aren't always in service. Remember, while an engine is in for service, you're paying for it with your time away from the field!

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Chad
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Kingtight:

Yes, Rabbit is now standard with "Dual start system." Kero or Gas; you the operator select. Rabbit comes set up for Kero start however, if you opt to do so, change over is less than 5 minutes. All internal and with the latest ECU software.
The only true Lifetime Warranty. . .does not expire if you have a mishap and Jet Central does the repair and service to the turbine.,
The only manufacturer who offers a fixed 25 hours service. . .flat $250.00 plus $60 return shipping regardess of parts needed.
The only manufacturer who offers just about 24/7 service. Yes, and I answer the phone 7 days a week.
Last, there are many good turbines to select from but please consider this statement. Because of our indusdry leading Lifetime Warranty, "you only pay for our turbine once;" crash and FOD are the only exceptions.

Thanks for reading,
Eric
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Kingtight,
My suggestion would be Booster 90 (either evojet, or G Booster 80+) or Merlin 90 personally! I'm 100% happy with my Booster engines!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you might just want to wait a month or two for the new Purple P100. About the same size as the Merlin/Rabbit more thrust and JC quality. It will probably be a good one. Scotty
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

P-80SE or wait a little bit for the P100.... Can't go wrong with the INDUSTRY LEADER PERIOD!!!

2 CENTS WELL SPENT
Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found this video on Skymaster's site. 2m Viper Jet with a Booster 90.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIb-0Cc7_p4[/youtube]
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

Jet Central Rabbit all the way. with Eric Clapp at the control stick you will never go wrong. One of the nicest guys in the industry. And that's what you need when you are spending lots of $$ on a new toy.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM
AIRMAR72

fair price advance features and robust peformance the proper choice would evojet i have 160 only 4months old u be happy in the end trust me
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
rbxbear44

Now, now...not steppin on toes out here where there are more companies than Jet Cat flying around here!!! You would need to look at performance chart of the Jet Central Rabbit vs. the P-80 to get the correct pic. of what is being discussed here. More thrust does NOT always present the correct pic of the performance of a turbine. What about turbine weight? What about Fuel consumption per min? What about throttle response time?

Now, I'm a raw power kindof guy because I mostly fly LARGE military jets...but this man wants a great engine for his 2m Viper. I can fly anything I want as far as turbines...bang for buck, I still think the Rabbit is his charm!

Rex
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Gikks

I have used the P120-SX, and it is great! My suggestion would be to get the JetCat. Excellent engines, absolutely great service!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
siclick33

Apart from the size and weight, the problem with the Jetcat is fuel economy. Whilst I am waiting to put my Merlin 90 in a Viper, it is going to go into a Comp-ARF Flash to replace an old P-80 that is currently fitted. The reduced fuel consumption means that I can do away with the wing tank and still get reasonable flight times.

Although there looks to be quite a bit of room in the Viper the stock main tank isn't huge and flight time appears to be somewhat restricted with the P-80SE. Of all the engines listed the only 2 I can really separate from the rest is the Jetcat and Kingtech. The Rabbit, Merlin 90 and Booster all look awesome. I might have gone with the Booster had I seen them in the flesh but I have witnessed the Merlin 90 running and it is great. I'm sure the Rabbit would be equally as good but it doesn't quite have the thrust of the Merlin and sending it back to the US from Europe for warranty issues would be a pain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.