Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

air restrictors, how to?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

air restrictors, how to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
didier n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air restrictors, how to?

I've got some questions regarding the use of air restrictors. Do they reduce the speed of the airflow, or the pression, or both? And where do you guys put them? close to each leg of the LG, or just one for all of them behind the valve?

thx, Didier
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
icepilot

Default RE: air restrictors, how to?

They lower the airflow (speed), not the pressure. I place mine on the exhaust ("used air out") by the valves.

Tor
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used Robart retracts & the Robart variable control valve. I think this operates on the exhaust side.

What I have found happens is the retract unit with the least resistance will 'twang' down first, then as the volume of air increases the next leg will 'twang' down & finally the third. All the retracts are on a common air line after the valve.

This leads me to think restrictors would have to be fitted to each individual up & down line at the cylinders or at least after any tees or branch offs.

Is this correct?

Do some of the electronic valves pulse to slowly feed the air to the retracts? - John.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
rcand

they reduce the speed of the air. Pressure remains the same. I put mine close to the gear. You can experiment a little by just using 1 on one of the lines, depends on the effect you are looking for. Just in the way a cylinder recieves the air to push the piston to one end, it will needs to evacuate the air to get the piston in the other direction. If a restrictor is on the exhaust end, the air leaving the cylinder will be reduced also slowing the movement. In another words, if the air can not evacuate the cylinder quickly, the piston will move slower than if there was no restrictor. Again, it depends on the effect, the size and quality of the retracts
Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: rcand

they reduce the speed of the air. Pressure remains the same. I put mine close to the gear. You can experiment a little by just using 1 on one of the lines, depends on the effect you are looking for. Just in the way a cylinder recieves the air to push the piston to one end, it will needs to evacuate the air to get the piston in the other direction. If a restrictor is on the exhaust end, the air leaving the cylinder will be reduced also slowing the movement. In another words, if the air can not evacuate the cylinder quickly, the piston will move slower than if there was no restrictor. Again, it depends on the effect, the size and quality of the retracts
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner....I have found that location is not relevant as long as it before the T on the valve side...up line, down line...no different!