Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

WOW! - "First in Flight" Jet Rally - Wilson, NC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

WOW! - "First in Flight" Jet Rally - Wilson, NC

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW! -

Robert, Larry, and Mike, Great job securing this for us. I may just have to blow the dust off the old F-15 and take the 25 minute drive over!!! Can't believe we're going to have a jet event that we don't have to drive over 8 hours for!!! (other than Fentress) Thanks for all the hard work putting it together and you know the Rocky Mount crew will be in attendance.

Mike
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: Eaglepilot2

Robert, Larry, and Mike, Great job securing this for us.
Mike
We'll be looking for you, Mike!

Your comment made me realize that I have not introduced the principal organizers/planners of this event in this thread! When Frank Rega announced that our annual pilgimage to Fentress was not going to happen this year, some fellow jet fliers at RDRC and I began earnestly looking for some way to fill that void. Michael Hollowell mentioned the Wilson Industrial Air Center and scheduled meetings first with the FBO manager, then the entire airport authority board. He and Larry Lewis then presented a formal presentation about having a jet event there and secured formal permission and support of the board to do so! The three of us have since been planning this on an accelerated schedule to make the Memorial Day weekend spot vacated by the Mid Atlantic Jet Rally this year. Things have been coming together nicely. We have the full support of the airport and really appreciate the enthusiasm of FBO manager Stephen Moore. And members of local clubs such as Raleigh-Durham Radio Control (RDRC), the Tarheel RC Flyers, and others have been volunteering to help with the logistics and support. We even have strong desire from the local EAA chapter on the airport to assist with consessions and parking management!

Here's how we have divided the individual responsibilities between the principals:

Larry Lewis - Contest Director (AMA sanctioning, event activity management, logistics)
Michael Hollowell - Air Boss (flight line and airspace management)
Robert Vess - Planning and Promotion
Josh Bunn - Assistant CD and website

Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Mike, it's about time you dust that F-15 off. It's been MIA for a while. Looking forward to seeing you at the event. Not sure what I'm bringing yet.
Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: meps

Mike, it's about time you dust that F-15 off. It's been MIA for a while. Looking forward to seeing you at the event. Not sure what I'm bringing yet.
Steve
Steve, you just bring EVERY FLYABLE JET YOU OWN!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
nexuscrash
My Feedback: (12)

All I can say, we couldn't have pick a better person to do the PR as Mr. Robert Vess. Great work Robert.

I am looking Forward to seeing all the fellow Jet pilots at W03.

Thank you for your support of the FIF Jet Rally.

Michael Hollowell
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Eaglepilot2

ORIGINAL: meps

Steve
Steve, You're right!! The last time I flew it was at Liberty Bell.......Almost three years ago!!!!Yikes!!!!! This is what small kids will do to you. I will be there if I have to bring the whole family along.

Looking forward to hanging out with you and all the rest of the gang.

Mike
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Poor ole Jongurley,,, got a waiver but no jet,, []
Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 AM
jongurley

Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: jongurley

You have about two months to write the check and change that, Jon!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Shok is sure gonna look embarrassingly funny out there with all them high-end jets!!!! ha.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: hooker53

My Shok is sure gonna look embarrassingly funny out there with all them high-end jets!!!! ha.
Not at all!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I can drag my buddies kangaroo if it would help ya feel better, as i think the shok is a much better lookin bird than the Roo..
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I can drag my buddies kangaroo if it would help ya feel better, as i think the shok is a much better lookin bird than the Roo..
Ha. Ha. Thanks Thomas, Mine is not exactly stock. Hope you can make it down. I'm gonna call for a room after I finalize the work situation.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Ha. Ha. Thanks Thomas, Mine is not exactly stock. Hope you can make it down. I'm gonna call for a room after I finalize the work situation.

I just pre-ordered one of the JR 11X's from the LHS, so maybe just once HH will be early in their release date... but hopefully i'll be able to come down for atleast a day. I've got to see how many miles / free hotel nights i have and where they are at.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
jongurley

ORIGINAL: RobertV

ORIGINAL: jongurley

You have about two months to write the check and change that, Jon!

I might shop while I spectate at the event
Old 04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
randy m
My Feedback: (30)

Robert,just wanted to know if this will be 2.4 only or can 72 radios ok also? Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: randy m

Robert,just wanted to know if this will be 2.4 only or can 72 radios ok also? Thanks
Randy, 72 mhz is OK and will be impounded.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM
jthomas235
My Feedback: (2)

Three pilots confirmed from the Augusta, Ga. area. Looking forward to it!

John
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: jthomas235

Three pilots confirmed from the Augusta, Ga. area. Looking forward to it!

John
That's great Thomas! We look forward to having you at FiF.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Things are moving right along in our preparations for this event. We should have info posted very soon about tent rentals for those wishing to do that. Right now we're looking at 30X30 tents that can be sub-devided into 15X30, or you can rent the whole tent. Also, tables will be offered for about $5 ea for the whole 3 day event. Keep checking the thread for more info soon. If vendors want sides on thier tents, let us know. All Tent Rentals will be a Pre-Payed method and we plan to set up a system that allows folks to charge them on thier credit cards or pay-pal it. We're really excited about this folks. Its going to be a Real Blast !
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

This looks like it's going to be a great event. What are the hours that we can fly? Thanks.

Marty
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM
RobertV

ORIGINAL: afterburner

This looks like it's going to be a great event. What are the hours that we can fly? Thanks.

Marty
We intend to begin around 9:00 each day after a pilots meeting and must be completely off the runway by dusk since it will reopen to full-scale traffic only at night (it's the only lighted runway on the airport and must be open at night).
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Marty
We intend to begin around 9:00 each day after a pilots meeting and must be completely off the runway by dusk since it will reopen to full-scale traffic only at night (it's the only lighted runway on the airport and must be open at night).
Thanks Robert. Wonder where the sun is by mid-late afternoon in May? Anyone know?

Marty
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
RobertV

Marty
Thanks Robert. Wonder where the sun is by mid-late afternoon in May? Anyone know?

Marty

The runway we are flying off of is 3/21 which means 30/210 degrees on the compass heading. On May 28 in Wilson, NC, the sun is supposed to rise above the horizon at compass heading 63 which will be about 33 degrees behind the right end of the runway (no problem!). But around 7:00 pm it will drop back below the horizon at heading 295, which is about right in front of the flight line. So the sun becomes more of a nuisance as the day progresses from late afternoon into early evening as it drops from overhead and into the normal line of sight of the pilots. We deal with this pretty much everywhere we fly but this is a pretty reasonable scenario since the sun won't cut off one end of the field. You'll just pass through it quickly at show center later in the day.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

I can't beleive you are finally putting together a jet fly out there!!! I remember flying the only jet at our field out there (ducted fan then!) and no one else. Now that I have moved back to Ca. you go and put on a 1st class event!!
Robert, I wish I could make it but LA jets is the week before. I think the rest of the Fly Eagle group will be there. I might just have to fly out for it.
Good luck to you, Larry and Mike.

Lowell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.