Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingTech K-80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingTech K-80

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KingTech K-80

HI Chris
I have a tams on mine same size as a P70. Congrat's on the Kingtech they are great I have got 2 one in a PST Panther and the other in a new Reaction X.
Regards
Mav
Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
JOHNSCHR
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Mav! I'll have to throw some pictures of her installed in in Tam's F-16.

Hey Barry, I'll be looking for that email. Do you have time this weekend to help me with my first runup on my Kingtech?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure thing Chris, I'll be available, just give me a heads up say 30 minutes in advance, I'll talk you through purging the fuel line and such....

Barry
626-399-7588 cell
626-793-4677 day
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
JOHNSCHR
My Feedback: (3)

Will do. Thanks Barry!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 AM
TVAILLANCOURT

I was wondering if anyone has any problems with their pumps?
Here is a little back ground.I put my turbine on a test stand and plumbed everything.I ran the prime function to prime the pump and tubes.I let it run in the prime function for maybe 30 seconds to make sure bubble were clear and UAT was happy.I ran the turbine and all was fine.It reached it's maximum rpm and idle rpm.I installed the turbine on my jet and proceeded to prime it again because I redid some plumbing.Here is where the problem starts.

I proceed to use the prime function and the pump starts to prime then quits after 4 seconds.The error code is "overload" So I have a new pump sent to me and It does the same thing but this new pump is even less like maybe 1.5 seconds before it quits with "overload".So I try a third pump and I can finally get it to prime the pump and my tubes plus a little out of end back into the jug before it stops with "overload"

I'm using 2cell lipo for power.

I was told the prime function is not designed to run continuous and will always kick off with "overload" but my question is I couldn't even get any fuel flowing into the pump before it shuts off with "overload"

So for a test just to make sure the pumps can pump I hooked it up to a 3.7 volt battery opened the fuel valve and plugged in the battery an fuel was flowing like crazy on all three.So what could be going wrong here?
I just finished running in this new pump for 2 hours in a closed loop to break it in.I was told you need to do this so I did on all three.

I might add that this is happening to my buddies new K80 as well.Could It be in the parameters in the data terminal or the ECU?I have it programed with instructions from Gaspar which are way different than what came from the factory.
I tried to run my turbine with my first pump and I could only reach 90000k and it was surging at idle and going up and down 45k to 58k

I'm going to test it again tomorrow with this new pump and see what happens.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.Better yet how long can you prime your system before it shuts down with an overload code?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

BArry,
I am the owner of engine number #0032. I am excited about my new purchase and look forward to getting it installed in my SR-71. I look forward to meeting you at Kentucky Jets.
Tommy
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

try disconnecting the fuel line from the motor and running the prime function until the line is clear of bubbles..reconnect fuel line to motor and try a start
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
TVAILLANCOURT

The main kero line connected to the turbine?This line is disconnected and is running back into my 5 gallon fuel jug.Which motor are you talking about, the pump motor or turbine(motor)?I'm assuming you mean the main fuel line to the turbine because removing the fuel line from the pump does nothing to help the priming of the pump and lines.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Tvalillancourt

I have heard of some people having this issue, they switched to nicad 6C packs and it seemed to solve the issues. (My friend i Maui had the same issue and now with the 6c nicad it is perfect)

I'm not sure what ECU settings have to be changed to allow use of the 2 Cell lipo, the Fadec senses over current to protect it's self. You might want to email the dealer, or service center to see if they have experience with this.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: TVAILLANCOURT

I was wondering if anyone has any problems with their pumps?
Here is a little back ground.I put my turbine on a test stand and plumbed everything.I ran the prime function to prime the pump and tubes.I let it run in the prime function for maybe 30 seconds to make sure bubble were clear and UAT was happy.I ran the turbine and all was fine.It reached it's maximum rpm and idle rpm.I installed the turbine on my jet and proceeded to prime it again because I redid some plumbing.Here is where the problem starts.

I proceed to use the prime function and the pump starts to prime then quits after 4 seconds.The error code is ''overload'' So I have a new pump sent to me and It does the same thing but this new pump is even less like maybe 1.5 seconds before it quits with ''overload''.So I try a third pump and I can finally get it to prime the pump and my tubes plus a little out of end back into the jug before it stops with ''overload''

I'm using 2cell lipo for power.

I was told the prime function is not designed to run continuous and will always kick off with ''overload'' but my question is I couldn't even get any fuel flowing into the pump before it shuts off with ''overload''

So for a test just to make sure the pumps can pump I hooked it up to a 3.7 volt battery opened the fuel valve and plugged in the battery an fuel was flowing like crazy on all three.So what could be going wrong here?
I just finished running in this new pump for 2 hours in a closed loop to break it in.I was told you need to do this so I did on all three.

I might add that this is happening to my buddies new K80 as well.Could It be in the parameters in the data terminal or the ECU?I have it programed with instructions from Gaspar which are way different than what came from the factory.
I tried to run my turbine with my first pump and I could only reach 90000k and it was surging at idle and going up and down 45k to 58k

I'm going to test it again tomorrow with this new pump and see what happens.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.Better yet how long can you prime your system before it shuts down with an overload code?
TVA,
If your jet is an ARF that came with fuel tanks,
the first thing you might want to check is your Fuel tanks. It seems strange that 3 pumps did the same thing. I found that on some of the ARF fuel tanks, the clunks that come with them are partially blocked from when they punch the hole for fuel pick up. I discovered that the left over material from the knock out can be wedged in the clunk thus preventing flow. Also Make sure all your vent lines are open and not "sealed" to the top of the tank. Have your buddy do the same.

A quick check would be to hook up the fuel tank that you used on your test stand directlly to the pump in the jet and fire up the motor. should tell you if it is truly the pump or an issue with your onboard tanks in the jet.

Joe Lewis
KingTech Rep

Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
TVAILLANCOURT

Well thanks for all the info guys.I just came back from testing my turbine again.It started and idled fine but max rpm I could get was 98k and for a spit second I reached 105k and it was not steady at high rpm.Could this be a pump issue still?I'm at a loss.Everyone on here has nothing but good results so I have to think I'm doing something wrong.

The test stand is just a dubro 40 oz with BVM UAT.I want to make sure I've tried everything before I purchase the flight works pump.If buy the flight works pump and it does the same thing I'll be even more pissed.

I guess I could try using a 6 cell 7.2. I'm using a 7.4 lipo but is .2volts really going to make that much difference?How many people here are using lipo without problems??

Well back to square one
Oh I was told that I have to raise the throttle from idle to full throttle 5 times so the ecu can learn my end points.I did not read this anywhere.Did anyone do this??
thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
TVAILLANCOURT

It did this on the test stand and on the jet using 2 different tanks.
is there a huge difference between using 7.2 volt battery and a 7.4 volt lipo??

Everyone has had nothing but good things to say so I have to wonder that I must be doing some thing wrong.
What else can I try guys.I'm at a loss
thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Jgwright

Did you set up the ECU to learn the various throttle points as per the instructions? What % are you showing at idle and what % at full throttle?

John
Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
marquisvns

TVAILLANCOURT :

It sounded as it could also be a fuel/vent restriction issue and if it was the older version of the pump might not have enough margin to tolerate this, and maybe why the fluctuation of RMP, could you please provide me with the serial number of your K-80 and the "pump limit" set on the ECU.

Better yet, could you give me a call, or provide me with a phone number,

Thanks,
Barry

626-793-4677
Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: DocYates

BArry,
I am the owner of engine number #0032. I am excited about my new purchase and look forward to getting it installed in my SR-71. I look forward to meeting you at Kentucky Jets.
Tommy
Thanks Tommy, please post us some pictures of your install, and I look forward of meeting and flying with you in Kentucky.

Barry
KingTech USA Int'l
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
consoleworld

in my k80 i have 7.4v lipo 2500mha 20c .
never , after 100 starts i have problem , only in the first start i burn some glow plugs, i low the glow volt and its ok. .
the engine today have 9.30 hours working time .

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuhntrurCF0[/youtube]
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
TVAILLANCOURT

I got the turbine new from box ran it on test stand it ran fine 145k top 45k idle.install turbine on jet do test run and it only gets to 90k 98k.Take it out of the jet install new pump and put back on test stand.I got 43k idle and 98k with a spike up to 105k for 1 split second.
The tank on jet is sullivan 125oz made for boomerang sprint.I have the vent line brass tube going up then then a small piece of tygon then the plastic vent tube up to the top.I cut a birds eye in the top of the plastic tube and it just touches the top of the tank.

Test stand just has a brass tube bent up to the top of the tank but not touching.Both are clear with no kinks.My turbine turbine number is 0184.I just received new pumps from the factory and tried 2 different pumps.First one would not even prime the pump.Second one would prime the pump and tube but overload shortly after.

The turbine is out of the jet and back on the test stand.It has done this on both test stand and and installed on the jet with 2 different tanks.So is it still a tank issue?

On the jet tank I have one of the felt filter type clunks ,and on the test stand I just have a plain silver heavy clunk.

OK pump limit is set as per Gaspar 0500.I tried it at 1020 as well no change.I learned the transmitter to the ECU before starting and I'm getting
26% at idle(trim all the way up)
56% at half
100% at full reading from the ECU
Is it possible I have clogged up something in the turbine because I just noticed my UAT bag is really dark looking black.When I primed the new pump there was a lot of black coming out of it.

I just took my UAT apart and cleaned it so now it back to a nice white color.I flushed my tanks out and they are now clean.I'm going to get some fresh fuel and try again.I hope I didn't screw up the internals of the turbine with dirty fuel

Anyone have an other ideas,they are most welcome.Thanks everyone.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 AM
marquisvns

Basically you have contaminated fuel that triggered multiple problems,

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=972

Please consider the above item from Dreamworks, doesn’t matter if you soak the sock in alcohol, acetone or try to burn it with bleach to pure white, you’ll still end up with much resistance with a contaminated or dried out sock. I have tried all of the above and beyond and failed miserably, in the end because I needed in a hurry, I went to Pep Boys and got myself a tank filter, cut to length and installed then UAT is good as new.

Also too, get rid of the felt clunks, seems like they might be clogged, as long as you have a good UAT you don’t need them. Plus they are not really serviceable, and a real chore to replace. With both clogged felt clunks and UAT, the pumps did OK to get it up to 90,000.

Try the above plus thoroughly clean out your filter first, the K-80 and K-160s are pretty resilient. When I as in Taiwan last December, we simulated a clogged needle on the prototype K-160 and still was able to reach peak RPM without flaming out. And if your set up is still problematic, perhaps have someone experienced to go over everything before sending the engine back to the factory for cleaning of the injectors.

I have a good feeling your #184 and the pumps are fine.

Good Luck,
Barry
KingTech USA Int’l
Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Jgwright

Sounds like your problem is not engine related. You appear to have made all the checks and all seems to be as it should. I agree with what Barry has suggested.

John
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
TVAILLANCOURT

Thanks for the info Barry.I will run the turbine on the stand without the UAT and see if that makes a difference.Also will remove all felt clunks.I will order a new UAT bag.Can't just clean them hey.Well I'm a noob and this is how we learn right good or bad.

I'll re post my next test run in a few days because it seems as though winter has come back

I know that the turbine runs well because I had the factory run it for 20 minutes before sending to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
DocYates

Definitely sounds like a fuel feed problem. I have seen similar things with other turbines. i would start by doing what Barry suggested. Also look and see if your fuel tubing could be kinked or is the recommended size. Good luck with it.
Tommy
Old 04-09-2010, 01:05 PM
juaffy

Hi,

I own two of the K80E turbines, one fitted on a Velox and another one waiting to be installed on my Feibao F86. K80 is good and easy starting engine all the time. Then I had a problem one time when I used FELT clunks in my velox fuel tank, MAX RPM cannot be reached anymore. Instead of 145,000 , I only see around 136,000RPM. So, right away i removed them and solved the problem. I am still using the old set of valves.

Cheers,
Juaffy
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
TVAILLANCOURT

You know I didn't think line size would matter much.What is the recommended tygon size for inside tank and UAT.I have medium tygon inside the tanks and large tygon off the UAT.Could it be that simple?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 PM
DocYates

That is probably OK. I have seen and tried myself to use the smaller Tygon tubing and it will not work. If you can get it on the nipple of the UAT you are probably OK.
Tommy
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TVAILLANCOURT

Well thanks for all the info guys.I just came back from testing my turbine again.It started and idled fine but max rpm I could get was 98k and for a spit second I reached 105k and it was not steady at high rpm.Could this be a pump issue still?I'm at a loss.Everyone on here has nothing but good results so I have to think I'm doing something wrong.

The test stand is just a dubro 40 oz with BVM UAT.I want to make sure I've tried everything before I purchase the flight works pump.If buy the flight works pump and it does the same thing I'll be even more pissed.

I guess I could try using a 6 cell 7.2. I'm using a 7.4 lipo but is .2volts really going to make that much difference?How many people here are using lipo without problems??

Well back to square one
Oh I was told that I have to raise the throttle from idle to full throttle 5 times so the ecu can learn my end points.I did not read this anywhere.Did anyone do this??
thanks
Court, I read from this questian you ask about the TX learning and I may have missed it but I didn't see you get an answer. YES-You have to teach your ECU the throttle as per the instructions. Not only with Kingtechs but with most turbine ECU's. Thats the only way the ECU will know your low/high limit. Hope you all have fun at Kentucky jets. I got knocked out of being able to go. Roy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.