Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingTech K-80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingTech K-80

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 757Driver
Hi Pull, my suggestions are to have it on a test stand to keep ur ship safe. However use the tanks that are installed in the jet. Just extend lines a bit. They all tend to start a bit differently if using a pipe.
I found that with diesel less is better. Try dropping fuel values and even raising preheat rpm. Also auto1 seemed to give me best result. Be sure u are using a fresh 3s life on the G.
Post your complete setup and a vid of the start if u can. The start the best on kero if you want a clean start. I found it almost impossible with diesel.
Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your comments about diesel, less being better. That makes sense, given the hotter burn of diesel. You're not the first to suggest Auto+1 instead of Auto+2. What does that do? I'd like to try that in the next day or two. It may be, as Barry said, that a bit of yellow flame is nothing unusual. My concern is that I don't see other turbines spit the flame very often. But then, isn't diesel a bit new? Here's a video of the flames coming out. Sorry for the poor quality. It was shot on an iPhone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuN0Nq5InE
I will post my current settings tonight.

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 04-07-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auto +1 just simply starts the pump at a lower voltage it should help reduce the flame on switch over.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Pull Up Now!

I maidened my F-86 a few weeks ago, got my waiver, and flew the ship at Owatonna SMMAC NAMFI meet. Lots of fun, and the Kingtech performed very well indeed. No issues, no worries. I'm running diesel, which seems to smoke more upon shutdown-cooling cycle. The amount of smoke freaked out the officials who thought the jet was on fire. I had to back them off to avoid a schnoot full of CO2 up the intake. Here's a video of a flight 2 days after Owatonna, at our home field. Notice the tricky powerline avoidance on approach! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYd...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick,

You are starting way to hottt. Please call me when you have the plane in front of you so I can help you adjust the parameters for a better, cleaner start. Keep in mind I am on California time.

Talk to you soon,

Dirk
KingTech Service
626-712-8751
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Pull Up Now!

Dirk,
Thanks for the offer, which I do want to take you up upon. Are you available tomorrow Sunday? I have a wedding to attend today, unfortunately.

As a background, my flame used to be 6 ft long, as you can see from my previous posts on here. I started with the pump K at around 18 and it wouldn't start at all. Now, I've progressively reduced it to now 21 from a higher number where it would start. The start parameters seem to be allowing me less K than before, though I don't know what could be changing. It's certainly not the pistons seating!

Without going into too much detail, I have been in contact with Kingtech on this before. We can talk about that more on the phone.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-16-2014, 12:55 PM
flejter1

Rick,

No problem, call me tomorrow.

Dirk
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Pull Up Now!

A favorable ++ shout out to Dirk from Kingtech, who generously spent a couple hours with us by phone to tune this K-80G model turbine. The yellow flame about which I've written before is now gone! Thanks Dirk! He recommended 4 different parameter changes which cut down on the yellow flame from diesel that was previously pooling in the bottom of the engine. He explained that diesel fuel has a higher flash point than K1 kerosene does. That means its a bit harder to light than kerosene, which can lead to fuel pooling if too much is initially injected. The yellow flame results as that pool is blown out when the rpms ramp up. The newer START parameters and the one new RUN parameter seem to work nicely, there's no more yellow plume. THANKS!

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 08-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM
mtnflyer14

Would you mind posting the diesel ECU parameters that have worked so well? Thanks.
Regards,
Gus
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Pull Up Now!

This is what we ended up with that worked ("new diesel"). I have verified this list right from the ECU. The first & second columns are the manual's recommendation. The column labeled "prev stgs" is what it actually took to get the engine started last winter. It's still a bit of a mystery why it starts fine now using settings that were close to ones that wouldn't start the engine when it was cold. And maybe that's it, it was just too cold. But, it is what it is. Starts nice now, yellow flame is gone. Dirk also changed another setting in some other menu that wasn't in the manual. I wasn't operating the ECU at the time, my son was. Dirk, if you're reading this is it something you can comment upon?

8:29pm 8/19/2014 I deleted the original inaccurate string of ECU START settings and replaced it with what you see below, as taken directly off the ECU.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kingtech diesel settings.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2023724  

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 08-19-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM
mtnflyer14

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Regards,
Gus
Old 04-19-2016, 11:51 AM
fcfanti
My Feedback: (1)

Hi there,
I'm just jump in on the turbines word and I'm dealing with several questions... I've bought a k-80 and I'm preparing for the first fire of turbine, however, I'm trying to understand where and how I should install the fuel inlet attachments (03 small pieces). Sorry for the very basic question . Thanks. Fabio
Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 PM
flejter1

Fabio,

I don't know what 3 pieces you are talking about. Did you buy this engine used or new? What is the serial # and what color is it? Is it propane or kero start? Did you get a manual with the engine? Our website www.kingtechturbines.com has a manual you can down load. Did you register the engine? I suggest setting the engine up on a test stand and learning how to use it outside the plane incase you have a problem. You don't want to burn a plane to the ground by accident. Please read the manual completely and get to know the engine before setting it up.

Regards,

Dirk
KingTech Service, USA & International
Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 AM
CR Tech

Hi K80 experts can someone please have a look here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/turb...oing-here.html

And advise if you know what I'm dealing with or have suggestions. Thanks