Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-100D vs. SM F-4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-100D vs. SM F-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BVM F-100D vs. SM F-4

Everyones' dilemmas in life should only be this bad, but I am torn on which to get. Forget about costs, I just want to get some feedback on what our "community" thinks. If you had to select one of these, which would it be and why. Thaks guys.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: BVM F-100D vs. SM F-4

SM F-4 size and ARF.

P.S cost
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess it really depends on which aircraft you like best and also if you want to build (unless you have your eye on an RTF F-100?). I have built an F-100F and flown (a different one) for 6 or 7 flights before. The F-100 is a nice flying aircraft, but it is heavy iron - as is the F-4. With both you need to be paying attention in the landing pattern, but I have seen F-4's roll over and die if you get too slow (my FB F-4 did ), but with the slats on the BVM F-100, it doesn't seem to do that. If you get it slow, the F-100's sink rate will go through the roof, but it remains controllable. The F-100 sounds very distinctive in the air - no other airplane sounds like it. The F-4 is also somewhat unique sounding with the bi-pipe, but there are other bi-pipe planes that sound similar. The F-100 can be somewhat of a challenge to see when it is coming directly towards or away from you, but in other attitudes its OK. Most fly it with the tanks on to make it more visible. For me, the F-4 is easier to see - with or without ordinance, but I'm not sure why.

The BVM F-100 is a time-consuming built, and obviously, if you get the ARF, the SM F-4 isn't. Even if you get it unpainted, the SM F-4 will be less work. There are some fully-painted F-100 schemes out there, but they are few and far-between, so an F-100 typically means a metal finish, Flitemetal, BVM Metalkote, etc., where as an F-4 can be painted. F-100's are more rare, and thus generally draw more attention.

Any specific questions?

Bob
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

F100 Best plane I've flown (and Ive flown a lot - including BVM F4 but not Sm F4) Flies like a sport jet, extremely precise, very fast if you want to, most predictable landings, full of scale features. it is also built like a tank. It always turns heads at any event
Downsides: is that is a builders project (unless you like building, then it is a plus . PITA to put together at the field.

Jack G

Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

I guess it really depends on which aircraft you like best and also if you want to build (unless you have your eye on an RTF F-100?). I have built an F-100F and flown (a different one) for 6 or 7 flights before. The F-100 is a nice flying aircraft, but it is heavy iron - as is the F-4. With both you need to be paying attention in the landing pattern, but I have seen F-4's roll over and die if you get too slow (my FB F-4 did ), but with the slats on the BVM F-100, it doesn't seem to do that. If you get it slow, the F-100's sink rate will go through the roof, but it remains controllable. The F-100 sounds very distinctive in the air - no other airplane sounds like it. The F-4 is also somewhat unique sounding with the bi-pipe, but there are other bi-pipe planes that sound similar. The F-100 can be somewhat of a challenge to see when it is coming directly towards or away from you, but in other attitudes its OK. Most fly it with the tanks on to make it more visible. For me, the F-4 is easier to see - with or without ordinance, but I'm not sure why.

The BVM F-100 is a time-consuming built, and obviously, if you get the ARF, the SM F-4 isn't. Even if you get it unpainted, the SM F-4 will be less work. There are some fully-painted F-100 schemes out there, but they are few and far-between, so an F-100 typically means a metal finish, Flitemetal, BVM Metalkote, etc., where as an F-4 can be painted. F-100's are more rare, and thus generally draw more attention.

Any specific questions?

Bob
Agree with everything said here
Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been flying a BVM F-100D for a few years and it is one of the best flying models I have flown. Very precise, very solid feeling and can handle cross winds on landing better than most any other model out there. But as others have said, it is a builders project, but a real fun one and very well done.

Steven
Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

F-100's look awsome. And everyone says they fly awsome.

I've never flown one (I've flown a few different F-4's, SM, CJM), but if I didn't care about a huge build, then BV's F-100 hands down.

Raf
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28159.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1414888  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
MarkShapiro

Thanks to everyone for the input. As far as building goes, I really enjoy the building almost as much as the flying. Both birds have pros and cons. I tend to lean to the BVM F-100 because, well, its a BVM and the quality of parts,e tc. that goes with that. Additionally, and as pointed out, you don' t see too many of the F-100's around. However, the Phantom is in my opinion such a bad ***** looking jet. And coupled with the size of the SM version and the endless color schemes, the decision is a tough one.

I was watching my friend Shani Studnick rip the skies apart with his Hun at Monster Planes 2009. Incredibly impressive aircraft.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
MarkShapiro

Beutiful Hun, Phil. Damn, that's hot!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I enjoy the way my SM F4 flies. (upside) The build time is truncated significantly to the F100. it's big and easy to see. handles a crosswind with no problem

I've seen numerous F100s and concur with all said above. very precise, crisp in flight and rock solid in the landing pattern. (upside) parts availability in addition to a large support network of builders / flyers

parts availability is the one thing that has me favor a BVM product hands down.

lucky for you $$ is of little concern and your dilemma is an enviable problem to have.

you can't go wrong with either IMO

Name:	Us55378.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1414889  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Rod Snyder
My Feedback: (1)

The BVM F-100D is a great ship as is the BVM F-100F. I have built, flown, and competed with both models. Believe it or not the D model has a little more room inside to place your components. I built my F model in a make believe Red Bulls chrome paint scheme. The F-100 line is the top of the heap in model engineering and instructions. If you follow page by page it will fly the first time with no trim setting requirements. Go for it, build a real model aircraft. Go with an F-100
Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a build then the BVM F100 is a great choice. It has just enough of the real tough alignment tasks done, like the wings and horizontal stabs. You do have to join the fuse halves but that is not hard at all.
I have built 3 of them, so any questions you may have I would be more than happy to lend any help I can. You will find it a challenging project but not to much head scratching during the build.
I have done two in all presto finish and one in Flite-metal. When done it is just an awesome looking jet that appears to be going 300+ just sitting on the bench.
I have seen many fly and have never heard one bad thing about the plane from nose to tail. So why is mine still in the box??
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
pbusa1400

Mark,

The F-100D is the ticket. You wont regret it. It flies very well.

Pablo
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
MarkShapiro

Thanks again, guys. Sounds like the decision to go with the 100 is the way to go. How great is this forum!!??
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM
robbobie

I say Phantoms forever! I am going to get my bvm F-4 this Saturday. I cant sleep at night I'm so excited to get it. I'm like a little 44 yr old kid. I'm going to need some help when it's time to fly this bad boy. I'm in AZ and I hear there are a few that would help me make sure I have it all the way it's got to be. I will keep you all posted on my progress. This jet has about 200 flights on it already. I'm going to spend the next few months going through everything.This jet will come without the motor and was told that the F-4 is a power hungry monster. I think I will go with a jetcat. My question to you guy's is what size? Is there a such thing as to big? Girls need not respond. Rob
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

Great choice! I had a JetCat P-120 in my BVM F-4 and it flew well with the 120s thrust. The BVM F-4 flies great but you need to stay on the power on approach and landing. She flies rock solid and will handle winds that will ground other jets. Flying with the wing tanks will help with visibility, at least they did for these old eyes. Congratulations and show us some pics when you get your new ride.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
sandslx

robbobie

I fly my BVM F-4 with a P-160SX. It is a great combo, a p-120 just did not give it the extra zip I like to see on a scale fighter. Never find yourself below half power unless your short final. The BVM phantom is a superb aircraft. You will really enjoy it. It is very stable in the pattern and landing. Its like driving a Mac truck. If you have any questions dont hesitate to call Paul Bageman Mark Taylor, Ad Clark, Tim Redleman, David Reed or myself. There are some great F-4 drivers out there with allot of experience that can help with your success.

take care and good luck

Justin Sands

BVM rep
Team JR/Horizon

Name:	Lj23056.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1421317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15521.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.4 KB