Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Booster 90 or P-80SE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Booster 90 or P-80SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Booster 90 or P-80SE

Stupid question but: was the ecu in the "fast" throttle mode? 6-7 sec sounds slow for a booster, mine was faster even in the "slow" mode. I clocked the Wren 120 and it took 5 seconds from idle to full. The SE does about the same. Maybe a jamming pump...?

TP.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
luckyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That setting was tried both ways, it made no difference.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
SinCityJets

Hello from Singapore!

Here are two videos. Both are of Mark Snow's (Luckyflyer) engine. One shows the engine spool up time from 50k RPM and the other show the spool up time from 55k RPM (apologize for the inverted video, my phone just flipped the video).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQ9CRQAp1U[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mKJ6hNb_M[/youtube]

These videos accurately represent the spool up time of the Booster 90. If this spool up time is not to your specifications, DO NOT BUY OUR ENGINES. There is a lot of technology built in to these engines that are designed to keep them running in as many atmospheric conditions as possible. I would equate it to a car that automatically retards the throttle when it recognizes that one of the tires does not have full traction. Maybe some would want to return the car because they can't go as fast in the rain (or inclement conditions). Others would appreciate the car is designed to stay operating safely in an other than perfect condition.

There are other features in the Booster engines that will retard the throttle during periods of air bubbles in the line. Many users have commented about the fact the they have seen rather large air bubbles pass through their system that would have killed their previous brand. This is not a feature we readily advertised because I feel that a "clean" fuel system is paramount. The point is, these engines are smart, and many times, much smarter than their user. We have over 40 sold engines sold and in use since the beginning of the year, and Mark Snow is the only person that has found fault with an engine that starts and runs perfectly, all the while giving a great spool up time. The quality of an engine is not decided on how fast it spools up. We can make this engine spool up in 2-3 seconds, but you lose a certain amount of reliability when you force a parameter like this. Our engines are built to be reliable is as many conditions as possible.

We do not offer test drives of our engines. No manufacturer does. Do your research, review these forums, and separate the fly poop from pepper. We offer a great product and I feel my customer service is second to none. I have over 1000 customers world wide and have never had an issue like this with any of them. The common denominator in this case is simply a lack of experience.

Mark Snow does not tell the stories of miscalculating his 5% ratio of fuel to oil and me catching it on the phone, saving his brand new 160. A problem that surely would have been blamed on the engine, or me if the engine would have lost a bearing. He also does not tell the story of opening his starter motor cap because of a self induced problem whereby he gummed up the inside of the engine, threatened to flame me on RCU if I charged him to fix the problem, ultimately fixed it himself and then stated how happy he was with the engine. Mark Snows versions of events are quite different from what actually happens, always quick to blame the vendor, the product, the friends helping him (while on the phone with me), or anyone other than himself.

In this case, the videos tell all. As I said, I feel these videos accurately represent the spool up time of our new inner tail cone 90. My feeling is that the customer is not always right when they are wrong. You will not threaten me with anything and get the result you are looking for. In fact, it will be quite the opposite. If this does not sit well with you as a customer and you feel that threatening people is ok, don't buy anything from me. No amount of money will compensate me for customers like that. This business is a hobby for me and I do it because I enjoy the people and the hobby. Feel free to refer to this thread in the future and consider it my business model. I bend over backwards to help people and assist them even when they are not customers of mine.

Mark Snow, I could care less whether you "go away" or not. This thread alone is responsible for another engine sale. As I have already stated, your threats are just words to me. My pleasure comes from knowing that everything in this world goes and comes around. I always pay it forward and advise others to do the same.

This will be my first, last, and only post in this thread. If anyone has any questions needing a direct response from me, please feel free to PM me and I will give you an honest reply.

Chad

PS, if anyone wants anything from Singapore, get your orders in. Must be smaller than a bread basket!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Hello from Singapore!

Here are two videos. Both are of Mark Snow's (Luckyflyer) engine. One shows the engine spool up time from 50k RPM and the other show the spool up time from 55k RPM (apologize for the inverted video, my phone just flipped the video).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQ9CRQAp1U[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mKJ6hNb_M[/youtube]

These videos accurately represent the spool up time of the Booster 90. If this spool up time is not to your specifications, DO NOT BUY OUR ENGINES. There is a lot of technology built in to these engines that are designed to keep them running in as many atmospheric conditions as possible. I would equate it to a car that automatically retards the throttle when it recognizes that one of the tires does not have full traction. Maybe some would want to return the car because they can't go as fast in the rain (or inclement conditions). Others would appreciate the car is designed to stay operating safely in an other than perfect condition.

There are other features in the Booster engines that will retard the throttle during periods of air bubbles in the line. Many users have commented about the fact the they have seen rather large air bubbles pass through their system that would have killed their previous brand. This is not a feature we readily advertised because I feel that a ''clean'' fuel system is paramount. The point is, these engines are smart, and many times, much smarter than their user. We have over 40 sold engines sold and in use since the beginning of the year, and Mark Snow is the only person that has found fault with an engine that starts and runs perfectly, all the while giving a great spool up time. The quality of an engine is not decided on how fast it spools up. We can make this engine spool up in 2-3 seconds, but you lose a certain amount of reliability when you force a parameter like this. Our engines are built to be reliable is as many conditions as possible.

We do not offer test drives of our engines. No manufacturer does. Do your research, review these forums, and separate the fly poop from pepper. We offer a great product and I feel my customer service is second to none. I have over 1000 customers world wide and have never had an issue like this with any of them. The common denominator in this case is simply a lack of experience.

Mark Snow does not tell the stories of miscalculating his 5% ratio of fuel to oil and me catching it on the phone, saving his brand new 160. A problem that surely would have been blamed on the engine, or me if the engine would have lost a bearing. He also does not tell the story of opening his starter motor cap because of a self induced problem whereby he gummed up the inside of the engine, threatened to flame me on RCU if I charged him to fix the problem, ultimately fixed it himself and then stated how happy he was with the engine. Mark Snows versions of events are quite different from what actually happens, always quick to blame the vendor, the product, the friends helping him (while on the phone with me), or anyone other than himself.

In this case, the videos tell all. As I said, I feel these videos accurately represent the spool up time of our new inner tail cone 90. My feeling is that the customer is not always right when they are wrong. You will not threaten me with anything and get the result you are looking for. In fact, it will be quite the opposite. If this does not sit well with you as a customer and you feel that threatening people is ok, don't buy anything from me. No amount of money will compensate me for customers like that. This business is a hobby for me and I do it because I enjoy the people and the hobby. Feel free to refer to this thread in the future and consider it my business model. I bend over backwards to help people and assist them even when they are not customers of mine.

Mark Snow, I could care less whether you ''go away'' or not. This thread alone is responsible for another engine sale. As I have already stated, your threats are just words to me. My pleasure comes from knowing that everything in this world goes and comes around. I always pay it forward and advise others to do the same.

This will be my first, last, and only post in this thread. If anyone has any questions needing a direct response from me, please feel free to PM me and I will give you an honest reply.

Chad

PS, if anyone wants anything from Singapore, get your orders in. Must be smaller than a bread basket!

Hmmph!

Or, as we used to say in the old days....

"WHOOP, there it is!"

Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Chad, you are so full of horse poop its not even funny. First, the starter cap had fallen off, good thing the boosters come with fod screens.

Second, how in fact does mark gum up the turbine? Was it not your bright idea to let him run the redline oil in the fuel? Yes it was! You can get on here and tell your lies. Yes, they are flat out lies. But you know what Chad...you keep good company because I know for a fact and have proof that you are not the only one out there.

The fact is, turbine mfg. and there support guys have for a long time been allowed to give false advertments, not support their customers the way they should be supported. This is not zeroed in on just you. There are others out there and we know who they are. These forums are not only to give info to others, but also to alert others as to the buisness dealings and performance of said products.

If you would have told mark in the beg. about the 6-7 second spool time, he would never had purchased your turbine and had gone a different route. But again, your false advertisment had him believe that it was best in class.

Oh, another thing, how does using a 5v chip vs 3v chip make the ECU less prone to static interference? Not saying it's not true, just wondering as everything I know about electronics which is pretty extensive tells me that it's not the voltage but the type of device as in mosfets and circuit design.

All your video shows is that how mark recieved his turbine that in fact it backs up what he says and takes 6+ seconds to spool up WHICH IS NOT what he purchased the turbine for. Yeah, I am sure if he increased the idle rpm to 80,000 then he would get a very good spool time. LOL.

As for his Booster 160, awesome turbine. Once he got the gummed up bearings unstuck it ran just fine. So I guess redline oil is not good to run in the turbine as you stated.
Also, if the booster 160 was brand new can you explain why the ECU had approx. 4 hours of run time?

Again, you are not the only one that lies to it's customers. Others out there, if you have issues with your mfg. of your turbine I suggest you let others know. That is the only way that this kind of crap can be avoided. The economy is tight and I don't care how much money one has turbines are expensive and dealing with crap like this just adds to the fustration.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
noahb

Chad per your PM
Couple things here:

1) Mark told me he removed the cap, so you are either lying trying to cover up for him, or he lied to you. He also soldered in a new starter motor to test it.....or do you want to lie about that too.

2) I have used redline oil since the beginning. In fact, most of the evoJet team does. So again, this problem only plagued Mark.

3) Our system uses a 5v system because it is less prone to outside interference. I have no idea how or why, I just know that we have not had a single static flame-out, so I believe the company that makes the chip.

It is admirable you would want to stick up for your friend. But lying does not help his case.

Chad

In response to number one:
No, Mark did not remove the cap it was laying on the bottom of his fuse (comp arf eurosport). I was overthere helping him and noticed it. No big deal anyway. So what does it matter if it came off or he removed it. As for him soldering in another starter? So what. He was on the phone with you about having another starter shipped to him even if he had to pay for it. Lets get the facts right.

2. I am glad redline works for you. To this day, we don't know for sure if in fact it was gummed up or a potential problem with the preload or something else. However after the very difficult time we had in getting it to start all has been fine and the booster 160 had very impressive power.

3. Sounds good to me. Not disputing that, just wondering.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Dude, you need to give it a rest. I feel sorry for the people in your life that have to deal with your twisted reality. You have clearly demonstrated you have zero idea what you are talking about so why don't you do every jet kit and turbine manufacture a favor and switch to RC boats...I am sure the flotilla would love to hear your endless whining (and take Skipper and Gilligan with you).

Chad is known world wide by many more modelers than you could count, you are one of the very few that just can't be satisfied. I have seen Chad give his time and his money to make things right. He is always taking customer calls on Sundays at the field just to make sure people are happy. As far as the 90 we have been discussing, The night before he left his family for 10 days on business he spent time testing your engine so you would have it back as quickly as possible and quicker than promised. I drove 120 miles that night from my home to his shop to assist with the testing and to have my bandit on hand for comparison. I did this as a favor to him so he could provide the best service possible.

In the end I have seen him support events by paying entry fee's even when he had nothing to fly, I have seen him help people on line with problems they were having giving his personal time for nothing in return. I have seen him un-box and replace a turbine on the spot at an event for a customer that was having issues, no questions asked. He has lent total strangers his field equipment at events, test flown aircraft for beginners, and helped people with equipment choices even when it cost him a sale. He is a man of integrity and frankly anyone who knows him is insulted by your trash talk.

Simply put, you need to go away...you and your little clique have more than proven that you have an agenda and that should not fly here. You, luckyflier, and littlepiston make each other feel good with your tag team bloviating and I think I speak for everyone when I say, get a room and leave the rest of us alone....

Following the wisdom of Chad's lead, this will be my last post....
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
noahb

I am glad this is your last post because it's you that is clueless. It was not the quality that he disputed but your large mouth in other post telling others how extrem. fast the spool up was. This is why he purchased this turbine, not because of the 5v or the 12v ignitor. No, because of the best in class spool time.

I am sure Chad has treated many great. So have other mfg. But like others, they have there not so bright spots like me and everyone else on this planet.

There was no need to test the booster 90. All your video shows is exactly what mark was stating.

If he had knowing about the 6-7 or whatever the spooltime was then he would have went another route.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
luckyflyer

Chad Russell you can rest assured that had these videos been made available to me before I purchased the booster I absolutely would not have bought your engine. The good thing is that from this point forward other potential customers will have the benefit of seeing for them selves first hand the poor spool times of this turbine and decide for themselves. I did not have that luxury. All I had was an ad that said best in class performance which the booster 90 clearly is not. Your car analogy is a poor one. A much better car analogy would be a customer that wants to buy a high performance car that is advertised as being best in class only to find it has worst in class acceleration. But the story has a happy ending because the customer walks away after the test drive thinking this joker is clueless if he thinks this is a best in class car and goes and buys the real best in class car. The bottom line is that other manufactures have a much faster spool time and yet have no other issues or problems regardless of atmospheric conditions.

We do not offer test drives of our engines. No manufacturer does. Do your research, review these forums, and separate the fly poop from pepper. We offer a great product and I feel my customer service is second to none. I have over 1000 customers world wide and have never had an issue like this with any of them. The common denominator in this case is simply a lack of experience

Other manufacters may not offer a test drive but what they do offer that you don't is customer satifaction. I was talking to another retailer about my experince with Sincity and he said this Chad Russell sells turbines as a side line his full time job is a policeman. I make my living selling turbines, parts and supplies. I cannot afford to and will not allow a situation like you now have with Chad Russell to exist. It is too harmfull to my business. Because Chad Russell only sells turbines and rc part time he can pick and chose what aspects of customer service suit him.

Well Chad I must say you are the man when it comes to fuel oil ratios. Yes I did miscalculate my ratio I wrongly figured 6.5 ounces for five gallons instead of 32 and no the turbine was not started and yes you probably saved that other turbine I own from a lean run. Kudos to you. But tell me Chad what on Gods green earth does that have to do with the fact that your ads state best in class performance and does not deliver? Even the much cheaper Kingtech spools faster than your almighty booster 90. I would gladly forgo many of these great other features that the booster supposedly has for that one simple quality called best in class spool time.

Ah yes the starter cap episode with the Booster 160 that I own. Actually during an inspection the starter cap was seen laying in the bottom of the fuselage. No big deal its just held on with a little adhesive. It was later on that we tried to start the turbine and we got repeated errors of low start rpm. I called Chad he ask a few basic questions the issue was not resolved. I was convinced that the starter motor was defective. I removed the starter motor a simple process and checked it with some lab grade equipment I use in my business, the motor was ok. It turns out that the redline 2 stroke oil that Chad recommended was not such a good idea. We did an air start of the motor with dte lite and all has been ok since. Chad has since stopped recommending Redline I think he is now saying that he is testing it. But again what does this have to do with the booster 90. If this was being presented in court the lawyers would be yelling irrelevant, irrelevant.

Mark Snow, I could care less whether you "go away" or not. This thread alone is responsible for another engine sale. As I have already stated, your threats are just words to me. My pleasure comes from knowing that everything in this world goes and comes around. I always pay it forward and advise others to do the same.

Well Chad you yourself say it best when you say I could care less This seem to be your modus operandus when one of your customers doesn't agree with you. As a full time cop I'm sure this comes easy for you. For you to imply that I would have blamed you for something that would have been my fault is an outrageous accusation. To accuse based on an hypothetical shows how you really view your customers. I have tens of thousands of dollars of rc equipment in my shop and have never had a need to go this far when I have had an issue with a product.But your "my way or the highway" attitude is in keeping with your police training but it has no place in retail. Why don't you do us all a favor and get out of the retail rc business. You are just not cut out for it. You use your bully police officer tactics to strong arm your customers. Your police officer mentality best serves society getting the bad guys. Let those who understand retail such as the Sam Waltons and the JC Pennys etc do the retail. They are so much better at it than you!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
luckyflyer

Inbound if Chad is such a great guy and always helping others, why not just give a dissatified customer his money back. Refunds are given thousands of time a day in the USA by other retailers. Why not Sincity? Your are right about one thing though. I do have an agenda and that is to get my money back on this turbine. And the words Chad and wisdom should never be used in the same sentence its an oxymoron.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow, this is like daytime TV, the crap my mom used to watch when I was a little kid, to much drama in life
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: luckyflyer

Well Chad you yourself say it best when you say I could care less This seem to be your modus operandus when one of your customers doesn't agree with you. As a full time cop I'm sure this comes easy for you. For you to imply that I would have blamed you for something that would have been my fault is an outrageous accusation. To accuse based on an hypothetical shows how you really view your customers. I have tens of thousands of dollars of rc equipment in my shop and have never had a need to go this far when I have had an issue with a product.But your ''my way or the highway'' attitude is in keeping with your police training but it has no place in retail. Why don't you do us all a favor and get out of the retail rc business. You are just not cut out for it. You use your bully police officer tactics to strong arm your customers. Your police officer mentality best serves society getting the bad guys.

Hi,

???? What's all this about? In addition to being very unfair to the law-enforcement profession, this kind of talk is personal and inflammatory and has nothing to do with turbines. Police-bash somewhere else, please.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
rorrock

And on a lighter note.. I generally listen to what my kid says about things....

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
luckyflyer

Not police bashing sir. But when there is an individual that has the attitude that Chad has coupled with his police training it can be a recipe for disaster.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
luckyflyer

Rorock, 10-4 on that one!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

hehehe,,, i love it!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Oh Mr. (little boot) leave me out of this, I just state FACTS! that's ALL!!,,, hmm were have I heard that before???
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

I think I speak for everyone when I say, get a room and leave the rest of us alone....
You do not speak for me, and your opinion is not that valid as you are an Evojet sponsored flyer, peronally I have found the whole thing very interesting especially the vidio showing the spool up time.

Chaps the personnal attacks should stop, insults resolve nothing, just inflame the situation.

Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 AM
cairoman

Guys,

All personal attacks aside,

I have had and seen how each works, all three of them!! (G-Booster 80, P80 and Evo-Booster90). They are completely different animals and should not be compared to each other. The P80 is a bargain pricewise and puts out a clean 95-100N, but there's a weight and volume penalty. Also there are limited applications, as the size is large, but the choice of airframes, which will accept the size and the lower output, is limited. On the other hand, the Booster can fill the gap between the MW54 size airframe and the larger airframe, which will could possibly fly on 80-90N engines, but would love a little less weight and more free space in the fuselage. I myself, have flown the SM Arf-pro F15 on a G-Booster with no signs of under-power what-so-ever. The airframe was lighter than a 120 size powered equivalent SMF15, by three pounds!! This to me, translates as better flying efficiency, less stress on the airframe and lower landing speeds!

Besides, the spoolup times on my Boosters (including the fireballed in a JL-L39! G160) have all had much faster and more crisp spoolup times than any of my Jetcats, pre and post SE! In saying that, the Jetcat is a more reliable engine to take to an airfield 60 miles away from home!

So, there you have it!

Chris
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Woooo Hooooo!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76522.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1417905  
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Heee heee!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW this threat is getting bloody
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	da83299.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1417918  
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
J.F

Booster 90 or P-80SE? - Neither, go for the Merlin 90.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Back to the original question if I may.....
I have flown two of the VJ2m's on the P-80 Se and love the combo. Power is just about perfect, I love the fact that its pretty much impossible to over speed it with that combo.
One thing that I didnt notice until somebody else pointed it out is how quiet the P80Se is in the viper. It seems to push the model round with such ease that at times you couldn't hear it over some of the EDf's in the air at the same time.
I am keen to try the Viper on a smaller turbine as I am sure it will be lighter, but am confident that the big wing of that viper is more than happy carrying quite a bit extra.
I hope this is of help to the original question?
Regards Al
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Xwingnut
My Feedback: (24)

Wow! Sounds like there's a few guys here that need to meet face-to-face to solve an issue or two the way men are supposed too? Nothing like a conversation with a person that is actually in front of you.

I have an Evo90, a JetCat SE and a Wren70 that I built from a kit along with a few others. They all run a bit differently but all run great! The Booster has close to 4hrs logged in the air and to date not one preformance problem same as the JetCat. The Evo90 easily propels an Elan that has a 28# takeoff weight.

Now, I'm not sticking up for anyone or their brand but I do have to mention that I wasn't happy with the Booster's stock 3S ECU Batt. I sent a message to SinCity and he sent me the optional larger 2500mAh 3S pack at no charge. I didn't even buy the turbine from him! He also helped me with a question or two that I had. Will I buy another Booster...probably. Albeit, and I hope this doesn't upset anyone, I do like dealing with the guy I bought the first Booster from so I would probably buy from him again. Somehow, I don't think SinCity would have a problem with that, as I believe the store I deal with receives the Boosters he sells from Chad. In reality, they all come from the same place and go through the same hands (accounts).

I understand we all have preferences and become somewhat partial to our favorite brand but that doesn't mean other brands are inferior.

Either the Booster or JetCat P80se will fly your jet fine. Before making a purchase consider the events down the road that could/will crop-up such as service and turn-around time. Doesn't matter how good the turbine is or how fast it spools if it ends up living a portion of its life back-n-forth in transit or on a bench. JetCat, JetCentral, EvoJet, G-Booster, Botech and a few others are all good brands and have built reputations. It is the buyers budget that usually dictates what turbine is purchased. It's your cash-get the one you can afford that won't leave you broke then go fly and have a good time.

BTW, I have to ask myself, are we getting too spoiled expecting a turbine to perform as a 2-stroke Glow engine would? Sure, I like the fast spool times but I'm content knowing I have toy turbines! Anybody catch that? Just thought I'd steer the conversation in a different direction with that nasty not-to-be-spoken "toy" remark...... It's my wife's favorite word, as she knows how I feel about it. That woman knows just what to say to get rid of me!

Regards,
Xwing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.