Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

5 cell batteries on 2.4 on jet aircraft servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

5 cell batteries on 2.4 on jet aircraft servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
allmetal plane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 cell batteries on 2.4 on jet aircraft servos

Hi guys, I know this thread is jet related but you guys have the most experience with new 2.4 systems and I would like your feedback, This is a question I have asked else where in this prestigious forum..

When freshly charged 5 cell NiMH 6 V batteries they peak at about 7 Volts. Name brand digital servos are rated up to 6 Volts... Would this extra volt burn up these servos? I will use a dual battery system for redundancy on my 2.4 receiver which is recommended for 5 cell (6V)

Some people recommnend the use of voltage regulators but others DO NOT recommend that in fact they say servos would be OK. Any enlightment?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5 cell batteries on 2.4 on jet aircraft servos

I run 2 5 cell 2600 Nimhs in one jet and 2 5 cell 1400 Nicds in another. No regulators, no problem. Radio is a JR 9303 with Jr Receivers. Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run two 5cell nimh 2700's in all my jets, no problems but I do not use JR servo's because it apparently shortens their lifespan, any other servo is fine. Radio is JR DSX9 with JR 921 rx.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

I have flown my 10+ year old bandit both ways, with and without regulators using the 6v 5cell dual set up with dual switches. I know that the smaller JR 351 did not like the extra voltage off a fresh charge so I did go back to 5.7 volt regulators. Although the classic Bandit is small compared to the much larger jets of today it is a system that has worked well and I just plan to upgrade to the A123's with much larger amp's available.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
KC36330

when the servo is rated for 6V that's a 5 cell pack (yes even fresh off the charger) so it's not a problem, just like a 4.8v rated one is fine with a 4 cell pack fresh off the charger.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Ad Clark III
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelly, you said your Bandit goes both ways..... Oh, and ditto on the battery thing as well, two A123's with Fromeco regulators.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 AM
rolsen12

Do not, repete, Do not use four cell packs on 2.4.......
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use two A123's through a Fromeco Kodiak switch into Futaba 6014HS Rx without any regulators, the A123's come off the charger at 7.2volts but stabaise too 6.6volts very quickly and stay at that voltage for approximatly 2000mah of their 2300 capacity. A123's require a LiFi programme on your charger and ballancing every third charge or so, they do not go out of ballance in use as quickly a LiPo.

Mike
Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 AM
sandslx

All Metal

Do you have all digital servos in the airframe? You will be fine with a 5 cell NiCad. I Dont like the NiMH (false peaking issues I have experienced). You should always know how much Milli Amps your airframe uses per flight. For me It doesn't matter if its an F-100 or a Bobcat, all of my ships use right around 350 Milli Amps per flight. You should always know how many volts and how many milli amps are in your battery. Although not recommended you can use a 4 cell pack on 2.4, and have done it with a Top Gun MiG for 3 years now. I highly recommend a Data Logger. One battery one switch. I charge after every flight. The whole point is knowing how much juice is in your system before you taxi out....Things you cant do on other systems or charging after 3 or 5 flight later.

If you have good equipment I am sure you will have great success.

good luck

Justin Sands
Team JR/Horizon
BVM rep

Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
allmetal plane

ORIGINAL: sandslx

All Metal

Do you have all digital servos in the airframe? You will be fine with a 5 cell NiCad. I Dont like the NiMH (false peaking issues I have experienced). You should always know how much Milli Amps your airframe uses per flight. For me It doesn't matter if its an F-100 or a Bobcat, all of my ships use right around 350 Milli Amps per flight. You should always know how many volts and how many milli amps are in your battery. Although not recommended you can use a 4 cell pack on 2.4, and have done it with a Top Gun MiG for 3 years now. I highly recommend a Data Logger. One battery one switch. I charge after every flight. The whole point is knowing how much juice is in your system before you taxi out....Things you cant do on other systems or charging after 3 or 5 flight later.

If you have good equipment I am sure you will have great success.

good luck

Justin Sands
Team JR/Horizon
BVM rep

Thanks so much!!

I am actually using a JR 12X with 1221 receiver, dual 2700 Mah digital servos, Don't have landing gear retraction system