Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F16 1/8 Advanced

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F16 1/8 Advanced

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Plautos
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Eagle Jet F16 1/8 Advanced

Hello people.

Just contributing to the visual library from the RC Universe, here are the pictures from the construction of my FEJ F16 1/8.

The engine is an AMT 180SP.

Servos:
Aileron and elevator JR DS8711
Rudder JR DS3421
Nose wheel Futaba 9402

Radio: 14MZ

The model was build by Otavio Biaggi.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Plautos

Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F16 1/8 Advanced

Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Plautos

Maiden flight was done on 04/16/10 with 240g of lead on the nose cone.

Second flight was done with 120g of lead on nose cone. I felt the tail more sensitive during the approach for landing.

The plane in both flights took a little more than 200m to take off. I was not using flaperons and I didn’t calibrate the tires properly. Both takeoffs were not “friendly”, I had pull the elevator hard to make it fly, scratching the ventral stabilizer and the rear cone.

Third and fourth flights were made 04/18/10 now with flaperons and proper tire calibration. I had a very friendly takeoff and a little bit earlier.

The drag caused by the landing gear and doors is impressive.

I didn’t tried to land with the flaperons down, but it is in my “Will Do” list.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What scale is this one? It looks like the small one. What is your total dry weight? I have one and there is no lead weight in the nose. If you are having to pull the nose that hard to get it to take off the nose is way to heavy. Check your balance.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Andy is right, I have a Skymaster one (same model) with the same turbine and it takes off in 80m off grass. Looks really nice, how do you like the landing gear?

Florent
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Mavrik!

Ditto, to nose heavy!

50m takeoff max on tar runway no problems.

Mav
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Plautos

Andy,

Yes it is the 1/8 and the CG is around 150mm. I guess the dry weight is near 9kg.
I will check again just to be sure.

My first thought was a problem with the attack angle.

Rider,

I friend of mine have the Skymaster F16 with a 22lb Jet Central turbine. The wing profile is different from the FEJ and it can takeoff using near 100m.

The FEJ landing gear is a work of art. Very nice job was made. The tarmac where I fly have lots of undulations and the landing gear absorb them all.
The only problem I saw with it is the convergences of the main wheels, maybe they are too much open, breaking the plane.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Plautos,

Please consider the following.

1. When flying invert jet going on a 45 degree angle upward. If jet wants to dive downward it is to nose heavy. Fix= remove weight from nose.

2. Make sure wing incidence is +1 to +2 degrees by using a robart wing incidence meter, or similar. If wing incidence is in the negative the you can add shims to raise the front gear, or add a small wood dowl inside front nose gear to keep the spring stiffer.

Romove all weight from nose and move items from the cockpit area to front wood cage. For instance your EV5 weighs enough to move all the way forward I would start there. Rebalance after each move.

As you move weight forward, and adjust CG, you will want to make sure you have multiply elevator trim levels set up. If to sensitive click down one.

Good Luck.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85000.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1420934  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

9KG are you sure? Those Advanced versions are heavier than the regular ones and my regular one is around 9KG. Yours has the raised canopy and heavier gear. I bet you are pushing 23-24lbs with 8711's for the alerons, that 5 and 1 valve (great device but very heavy) and the smoke tank and extra pump and batteries etc.

Lighten that puppy up, take the lead out of the nose and move as much gear forward as you can to reduce the wing loading. It should fly fine then. I don't think changing the incidence on this model makes much of a difference. At least it hasn't on the ones I have seen because the gear should already be positioned properly using standard mounting.

Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Plautos

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for the tips.

I have this situation:
When the plane is flying straight, trimmed and with full throttle, it should keep flying straight with half throttle?

I’m flying on full and I reduce to half, immediately the plane start to dive. I have to hold it on elevator.
Is that normal?

Thanks,

Plautos

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

Plautos,

1. When flying invert jet going on a 45 degree angle upward. If jet wants to dive downward it is to nose heavy. Fix= remove weight from nose.

2. Make sure wing incidence is +1 to +2 degrees by using a robart wing incidence meter, or similar. If wing incidence is in the negative the you can add shims to raise the front gear, or add a small wood dowl inside front nose gear to keep the spring stiffer.

Romove all weight from nose and move items from the cockpit area to front wood cage. For instance your EV5 weighs enough to move all the way forward I would start there. Rebalance after each move.

As you move weight forward, and adjust CG, you will want to make sure you have multiply elevator trim levels set up. If to sensitive click down one.

Good Luck.

Kevin
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Plautos

I just weigh it!

The fuselage with batteries reached 10kg.

With the wings and fuel it probably will be near 13kg.

I don't have smoke system on this plane.

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

9KG are you sure? Those Advanced versions are heavier than the regular ones and my regular one is around 9KG. Yours has the raised canopy and heavier gear. I bet you are pushing 23-24lbs with 8711's for the alerons, that 5 and 1 valve (great device but very heavy) and the smoke tank and extra pump and batteries etc.

Lighten that puppy up, take the lead out of the nose and move as much gear forward as you can to reduce the wing loading. It should fly fine then. I don't think changing the incidence on this model makes much of a difference. At least it hasn't on the ones I have seen because the gear should already be positioned properly using standard mounting.

Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: Plautos

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for the tips.

I have this situation:
When the plane is flying straight, trimmed and with full throttle, it should keep flying straight with half throttle?

I’m flying on full and I reduce to half, immediately the plane start to dive. I have to hold it on elevator.
Is that normal?

Thanks,

Plautos

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

Plautos,

Good Luck.

Kevin
Kevin,

It is to nose heavy. What is the COG position?

Also I suspect when you land and look at your elevator trim that there is lots of up trim for normal flight.

F16 naturally like up trim to fly normal however but not excessive.

Mav
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Plautos

Hello people.

Here is a video from my F16.

The landing gear is very strong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mM51PFwpDM
Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Mavrik!

Hello people.

Plautos,

I am very jealous of your flying field!!!!!!!!!!!

Mav
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
lookilook

indeed looks very strong unlike my f16 1/8 nose that keeps folding.......anyway you must be very nose heavy as it has the tendency to nose down after the takeoff.....take care of this as it would be very unstable in flight straight or inverted.

nik
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
KAON

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone flying this version with P-120 or similar? am thinking to get another turbine so i thought of getting bigger for future projects and tuning it down a bit for that one

KAON
Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
KAON

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw my plane advanced came up 10kg dry too but i didn't install the cockpit. i saw the vid and plane look way too nose heavy IMO. looks very scary. mine CG came up at 150mm.
KAON
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Plautos

ORIGINAL: KAON

btw my plane advanced came up 10kg dry too but i didn't install the cockpit. i saw the vid and plane look way too nose heavy IMO. looks very scary. mine CG came up at 150mm.
KAON

Did you already flown your F16?
It is not nose heavy, actually it is very balanced.
The model is completely safe, don’t be scare.
The wing design is very “sporty”, so you will need flaps to take off.
My COG is in the middle of the factory suggested.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Plautos

anyone flying this version with P-120 or similar? am thinking to get another turbine so i thought of getting bigger for future projects and tuning it down a bit for that one

KAON

I saw a video on you tube about a F16 with a P-120. It climb very fast.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Plautos

ORIGINAL: lookilook

indeed looks very strong unlike my f16 1/8 nose that keeps folding.......anyway you must be very nose heavy as it has the tendency to nose down after the takeoff.....take care of this as it would be very unstable in flight straight or inverted.

nik
I had to "tune" my nose gear just to be sure it won't fold.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Plautos

ORIGINAL: Mavrik!

Hello people.

Plautos,

I am very jealous of your flying field!!!!!!!!!!!

Mav

hahahahah it is a very nice place. But it is very tricky too.

The runway is in a top of a hill. So if you miss the entry for landing it will be a big crash.

In the video, my first landing was with a flame out.

By luck I could land in the beginning of the runway, one meter before I probably won’t have a F16 today.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Plautos

Today wasn't my lucky day. I'm going to share my pain...

I was starting my 13th flight with the F16 when a hole hit me!

The plane bank right because of the crosswind, almost when I was airborne. I kept accelerating and hit a hole.

The most impressive is that nothing happened to the landing gear, it is intact.

I had to use a screw driver to remove the dirt from the intake, it was very compressed.
The engine ate loads of dirt, but I think it still operational.

I had enjoyed that plane… I will try to buy a new fuselage.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 AM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KAON

Firstly sorry to see your model in this state, its a real shame when your caught out by something like a pot hole, mines been a slow build over some time just about ready now, dry wieght is (9.8k.g) just under 22 lbs thats with everything on the plane and fully fuelled she comes out at 26 lb, intend on putting the C of G around the 155mm position, but wanted to know what you guys think about flaps for take off as i don't intend using any flap set up having read most of the other posts covering this

lozza
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Plautos

ORIGINAL: lozza1965

KAON

Firstly sorry to see your model in this state, its a real shame when your caught out by something like a pot hole, mines been a slow build over some time just about ready now, dry wieght is (9.8k.g) just under 22 lbs thats with everything on the plane and fully fuelled she comes out at 26 lb, intend on putting the C of G around the 155mm position, but wanted to know what you guys think about flaps for take off as i don't intend using any flap set up having read most of the other posts covering this

lozza

Lozza,

I’m still mad about my crash, I can’t believe it.

Now speaking about the flaps…. Use them, they are VERY help full. I was using around 16mm.
My most smooth landings where with the flaps. Taking off too, much more easy, I had to give less elevator to climb and it climb more gently.
About the CG… it is a pilot taste. You will feel it when you are closing to land.

Plautos
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear this here Plautos.. this saturday I was at the Fesbraer (a great event, with 600 pilots registered.. even if I was unable to fly as there was so many people!). The small F-16 is something squirrely with the straight wheel setup, specially with a crosswind. You may try a gyro for the next one as it helps a lot in this plane. Another good idea to use in any F16 is a fod screen as if for some reason the front landing gear colapses the low air intake turns the airplane into a very fast vacuum cleaner sucking all the dirt and grass it can. (don´t ask how I know)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.