Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Build Up Kits

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Build Up Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
rorrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Up Kits

In this world of ARTF and RTF jets, is there much demand for the good old built up aircraft..
Either plans or semi-kits or both.. I am talking about foam core/sheeted and glassed wings.. built up fuses, etc.
Or would I be better to scrap most and pick 1 or 2 to convert the fuses to glass?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build Up Kits

Rock, The layed up glass kits have a place in this sport with me but for the most part I'll take a built up model 80% of time. Getting ready this summer to start one of Limeybob's kits. He does a great job.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Something to consider is the cost/value/time ratio.

For example, a Reaction kit is 480.00 plus covering and misc finishing materials likely to add up to at least 6-650 bucks. A Reaction Arf is 1295.00 and it comes painted. When you consider the overall cost to get this project in the air including turbine, electronics and accesories, the money saved in building will be a realitively small part of the equation. I would think there are enthusiasts that will but kits so they can build true to scale but not sure if there's enough of those out there to support a business.

PaulD
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

In this world of ARTF and RTF jets, is there much demand for the good old built up aircraft.
No.

But some people, like me, just like to build models & will continue to build.

Or would I be better to scrap most and pick 1 or 2 to convert the fuses to glass?
Yes.

A glass fuse gives more room, is a bit more fire resistant, takes a lot of the most difficult work out of the build & allows you to 'design in' incidence angles, etc, so there';s less chance of stuff ups in the construction. - John.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
rorrock

John,
I guess its a matter of which one.. I can still continue to product parts and wing cores on demand i guess..
Do I start with the tiger/raptor sports trainer jet and have a composite version made..
There are plenty of artf scale jets out there, so i dont see any point in trying to compete with those..

Rob
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If you mean the model with tiger stripes that looks exactly like a Skyburner the problem would be size. There were quite a few Skyburners at Wangaratta jets last week, all 91 DF's.

A model of this size would suit a JC P-60 or a Wren 44 and there were only a couple of these engines there, mine was one of them. The jet scene in this country seems to start at JC 120 size engines and the like. The 54 size engines and smaller are not that popular in this country so made to order may be the way to go to satisfy the demand (if any). The cost of the smaller engines approaches that of the bigger engines so everyone seems to go big.

Jet modellers tend to like the biggest & best (ego, bragging rights, who knows) & in the past this was the 91 DF size models. Things have changed. - John.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 AM
rorrock

Actually its an updated skyburner.. thats one of the rights I am negotiationing currently.
Given it's all CAD based, it wouldnt be too hard to scale it up to suit larger turbines..
Particularly if that makes improves its popularity..

Rob
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to see more built up kits to suit jets, not many on the market, good way of keeping cost down, built up stuff to suit the smaller turbines up to about 18lb would have the biggest market, most that buy 120+ size turbines are going for the more expensive jets anyway.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 AM
rorrock

Xair,
I have to agree with you there.. its an area i found lacking..
even now there is not much aimed at the 14lb size turbines..
All the new models just seem to get bigger and bigger..
As it stands these were originally built around a 127mm fan, so there is heaps of room inside..
I will be a matter of balancing size, weight and fuel loads..

Rob
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
rorrock

Boormerang,
The current specs on the updated skyburner is ..
Wing Span 1486 mm (58.5”)
Length 1475 mm (58”)
Weight: 4.5 to 5kg

I am guessing I could increase the overall size by 20%, and use carbon tubes, etc to add strength to the skinned foam core wings..
This would allow for larger turbines and more fuel loading..

Rob