Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

turbine oil and fuel

AT the moment i am using mobile jet 2 turbine oil,but in the uk its starting to cost alot to fly.
    19litres of parafin is £18.96 plust 1 us quart of oil what is about £8.50 = £27.46 for 20 litres of fuel ready to use.
    20 litre of fuel at 3 litres per a flight is about £4 pound per a flight.give or takea few pence.
    So my question iswhat other oil and fuel can we use with outrisking the turbine,as i understandthe cost of a new turbine will out way the few pound i can save but people must beflying with other fuel and oil .
    thanks for any info.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: turbine oil and fuel

I've just bought some Mobil DTE light oil to try. It is approved by a lot of the manufacturers (although I'm not sure about Jetcat). The only problem is that it only comes in 20l containers but it is less than half the price of 'turbine' oils.
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been using Mobil DTE Light for several years. Wren approves its use in their engines. It is used in some full-size gas turbines that are ground based e.g. power generation, as they don't need the additives for very high altitude flight and neither do we. I believe it is also free from the very harmful organophosphates that aero turbine oil contains. Without carriage it comes to about £4/litre. Since it only comes in 20 litre container, share it with some other jet fliers.
    H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which series # DTE oil are you using ?
    JetCat P120, JetCentral Super Eagle, Jet Legend L- 39
    Boomerang XL II, Futaba 14mz 2.4 ghz

Darrell,

I'm not sure where you are in the UK, however, find out where your local airfield is and wether they sell Jet A1. You'll typically pay 65-70p litre. They'll probably sell oil too - usually around £8 litre.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: figueroa

Which series # DTE oil are you using ?
    Its "DTE Lite"

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Guys,
    Do someone of you know if we can change the 2380 by the mobil one without any gum effect on canister, UAT, fuel pump or tanks ?

Best Regards,
    Rick.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCpropo

Hello Guys,
    Do someone of you know if we can change the 2380 by the mobil one without any gum effect on canister, UAT, fuel pump or tanks ?
    I changed from 2380 to DTE Lite a couple of years ago without issue. My turbines and related items are still very happy. [8D]

Dispensing from the large Mobil jug can be an issue (spillage if not careful) - I got one of these Dispensing Jugs and it works perfectly: no muss, no fuss.
    How is my flying? Call 1-888-BITEMY6
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #t.b.a. - Hooligan AF/CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All of my Wrens have been on Mobil DTE since new, 3% mix, that's not a typing error that is three % not 5%, the oldest now has 49 hours on the clock and is still on original bearings. The Mobil DTE light oil is just fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the USA both McMaster-Carr and Grainger carry DTE Lite in gallon jugs. I plan on switching as soon as my last few quarts of turbine oil are used up.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Mike,
    I will oreder some as soon as my current supply of turbine oil runs out.
    Jose
    JetCat P120, JetCentral Super Eagle, Jet Legend L- 39
    Boomerang XL II, Futaba 14mz 2.4 ghz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

chevron GST oil iso 32 is the same as DTE lite. on my second 5 gal container in my P80.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Early last year i did some research..you can do the same with wikipedia....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point
    the properties of diesel vs jet A vs kerosene....after that i started using diesel in my engines...jet central as well as an older Artes, in combination with that I used penzoil marinbe 2 cycle outboard engine oil 1qt per 10 gallons. Been doing this over a year with no problems..before anyone asks about soot and carbon buildup in the combustion chamber I will address that; soot= carbon monoxide which is a product of an incomplete combustion 2CH4(g) + 3O2(g) -2CO(g) + 4H2O(l) while a complete combustion CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O + energy yeilds carbon dioxide a colorless gas...the only diff to the two is the amount of oxygen involved. In our engines there is an abundanve of air as most of it is actually used for cooling..for those who would like to test this fact take a small container one with diesel and one with jet A and ignite them..you will notice that they both burn sooty black...as for the bearings ..i wont get technical just see the fact that many european companies already use this oil in there engines and ALL the bearings are the same from engine to engine..Diesel is slightly denser than Jet A due to some sulfur bonds and when these bonds break a higher amount of heat energy is released (see btu results for the two) when you first switch your ecu will remember the last pump voltage and as such will spin a little faster and then subsiquently recalibrate to a lower pump voltage and flow rate with the max rpm..I dont have thrust figures yet but i would assume them to be the same and def not lower...I welcome anyone to reproduce my findings...the convenience of going to a pump to get fuel/oil is awesome...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which # DTE are you using ?

Here is a quote from Mobil's website:

"Mobil DTE 832 and 846 are superior performance turbine oils designed for use in steam turbines, gas turbines and combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) applications under the most severe operating conditions."
    www.liorzahavi.com
    www.youtube.com/i3dm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Neither of those. It is Mobil DTE Light, from the "DTE Named Series"

H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

does anyone use M0BIL DTE in JETCAT turbines ?

jose

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is this the correct DTE Lite to buy from McMastercarr http://www.mcmaster.com/#mobil-dte-oil/=cwqacv stock #2158k14 (gallon jug) first one on the list. Want to try it for cost and health reasons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,

We have ordered a 3 this amount of oil for a 200L, it works without problems in our turbines, frankturbines, gbooster, jetcat.

Oil DTE Light In France
    Scorpion With FrankTurbine FT160 Light,Ef 2000 C&C models With FrankTurbine FT160,Viper C&C Models With JetsMunt M100XBL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all, I have read a lot of threads on this subject, David Gladwin put a thread on the JMA Forum warning of the dangers of using Turbine oil, the main people affected being those that work in the aviation industry, not just your Sunday jet jock.

But I believe warnings should be heeded, and once I've exhausted my small stock of turbine oil, will change over to DTE Lite, OK, so you have to buy a 20ltr drum, well that's not a lot if you share it between four of five club mates, which in our club, (Bickley, Kent, UK) we have quite a few jet flyers.

As regards fuel, I have heard of people using Diesel and heating oil to run their turbines, which is virtually the same as Kero/Jet A1/Paraffin, If do a Google search, or Wikipedia, It explains the difference between these fuels, which is mainly the way it is refined, but by using good filtration whilst decanting should make sure the fuel is clean.

Many jet flyers in the UK now use these other fuels as the price of Paraffin is now so expensive, and as suggested, a chat to a local airfield could get you flying a bit more economically.
    \"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Vinceyboy

Hi all, I have read a lot of threads on this subject, David Gladwin put a thread on the JMA Forum warning of the dangers of using Turbine oil, the main people affected being those that work in the aviation industry, not just your Sunday jet jock.

But I believe warnings should be heeded, and once I've exhausted my small stock of turbine oil, will change over to DTE Lite, OK, so you have to buy a 20ltr drum, well that's not a lot if you share it between four of five club mates, which in our club, (Bickley, Kent, UK) we have quite a few jet flyers.

As regards fuel, I have heard of people using Diesel and heating oil to run their turbines, which is virtually the same as Kero/Jet A1/Paraffin, If do a Google search, or Wikipedia, It explains the difference between these fuels, which is mainly the way it is refined, but by using good filtration whilst decanting should make sure the fuel is clean.

Many jet flyers in the UK now use these other fuels as the price of Paraffin is now so expensive, and as suggested, a chat to a local airfield could get you flying a bit more economically.

Hi
    I started to use DTE Light a while now and am using it in Sim jets Wren's and Jet cat I had to buy it in a 20 liter drum and gave 80stg for the drum witch is a lot of oil for 80 quid and I have been using heating oil Kero for the last 5 years and had no problem what so ever, I used to use Jet A 1 but the smell but me off !

Andy

Just as a matter of interest has anybody tried diesel fuel with 10% petrol or gasoline to our usa friends??i was told that this would work but have never tried it,petrol being what it is!! Any body any thoughts on this?

Been using DTE lite in all my turbines for years Jetcat, Behotec, AMT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Haven't heard about mixing petrol/gasoline in with the diesel, need some input from people using diesel in their turbines as to how it is used, neat or otherwise?
    \"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vince
    just get heating Kero and use a "Mister funel " to filter it this is a better option as diesel has a lot of sulphar wich is bad news[:@] for most turbines

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast