Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F18 ARF engine question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F18 ARF engine question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yellow F18 ARF engine question

Hi Guys,

I know the big yellow bug has internal formers in the ARF version to fit a 180. Has anyone installed a 200 in this airframe and if so, did it require much modification? How about the bypass and pipe. I have the stock ones that came from yellow and would like to know if the 200 will fit easily.

Thanks for your help.

Craig.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F18 ARF engine question

Craig,

I did some research on that before setting up my F-18 twin. People who put P-200s and Olys in them omitted the bypass, and said it was still a tight fit .. but presumably a lot of fun once done :-) I think these guys also had larger pipes done by Tam.

After a lot of thinking, I decided to go with a Behotec 180 Gold. Too many of our local flyers had issues with the P-180 (fwiw, the only current JC motor I have EVER heard any issues about.. and the US distributor did a first class job of making things right), and the Behotec was smaller and lighter with close to the same power. I expect to maiden it soon, I will post a report here. Mine came out 44# dry.

The recent RCJI review by Oliver Nicholas said the 180 Gold he tested was a few pounds short of the spec, but still impressive. To be honest, I care much more about reliability than the last pound of thrust on a plane like this, and all the reports on the Behotec are very good in this area.

Good luck with your build, perhaps some of the folks I talked to with the big block motors will chime in with first-hand info.

Dave McQueeney
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Craig

I think there have been a couple of them that were built from kits that had a bypass installed. Both were AMT Olympus powered. I think Buck used a BVM bypass and the other one used a Franz Walti inlet and bypass. I would think you would be able to fit one in an ARF as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Craig

get in touch with Billy in the classifieds. he has an ARF for sale and if i remember correctly it was going to accomodate a bypass.

I'm almost finished with a kit version and i will utilize a bypass (BVM) with Tamp Pipe

minimal mods required (a little bit of grinding of lower keel) and enough room for a bypass with two custom built fuel tanks on either side of the bypass.

good luck. great flying airplane

cheers

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hi Guys,

I know the big yellow bug has internal formers in the ARF version to fit a 180. Has anyone installed a 200 in this airframe and if so, did it require much modification? How about the bypass and pipe. I have the stock ones that came from yellow and would like to know if the 200 will fit easily.

Thanks for your help.

Craig.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Craig B.

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the input. I have a 180 in a skymaster F16 already...might just get an onboard kit for it and save 5k and swap the engines when needed...no biggy!

Good luck with yours Buck! Great flyin jet fo' sho'!

Craig.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
yeahbaby

running an install kit is a great idea amigo. 4 bolts, a few cables, fuel line etc and voila' two birds, one engine.

the hardest thing you'll have to decide is which bird your going to take to the field!!!

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the input. I have a 180 in a skymaster F16 already...might just get an onboard kit for it and save 5k and swap the engines when needed...no biggy!

Good luck with yours Buck! Great flyin jet fo' sho'!

Craig.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Craig B.

That one's dead easy Buck, hire a van and take both!.....

Go hard or go play golf!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53933.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1426594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15890.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	1426595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42704.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1426596  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice birds, Craig!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 PM
yeahbaby

SWEEEEEETTTTTTT AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That one's dead easy Buck, hire a van and take both!.....

Go hard or go play golf!!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Craig B.

Thanks guys! I love this hobby like a fat kid loves cake! It is the best! That was a shot from our jet rally last year. We have it again this weekend. Same van, just more to fit in there this time. I will post some pics if you guys are interested. We go hard over here....no mucking around!!

Best bit is buzzing the 'Roos at dusk with lights on and the tap wide open!! You should see the fU$%ers bolt!! They come onto the field at dusk to graze....WITHOUT CLEARANCE FROM THE TOWER!!! Fair game I reckon! I got target fixation on one roo last year and got a little too low! Crapped myself!

Craig.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL,

I'm picturing Composite Arf ROOS showing up uninvited. It was only later that I realized where you are and that you mean actual kangaroos. Funny!