Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

finally flew a Roo! :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

finally flew a Roo! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default finally flew a Roo! :)

I know I am not really a regular here, but I thought I would share my latest success story in the world of jets.

I have been at this, since 2002 starting with the original Wren MW54 kit engine and Super Reaper in my avatar. Since then I have had a few AV8R's, a few of my own design home built jets, and I currently am flying a REaction R54, an AV8R, an AD Phoenix and now an original kit built Kangaroo.

My friend and only other fellow jet flyer in our MAAC zone (Northern Ontario, Canada) Gaston Boissoneault, started flying turbine jets in the 90's with this model. I think orignally with a JPX, and then later with a RAM 750 air start (one of the first ones).

He gave me the bare airframe two seasons ago - and I had intentions of getting it flying, but hadnt the time until this past late winter/spring. I ended up buying the same Ram 750 from Gaston, and converting it to autostart with a GB Hobbies ECU, hall effect speed sensor (with a new spinner nut I made up) and also a starter I made from a speed 480 and Wren bendix clutch. The starter works very well, and its powerful.

I installed MAP (Canadian made) retracts, Behotec wheels, brakes and struts, and a 2 litre Canada Dry gingerale fuel tank Intairco air trap, and the usual other stuff. Hitec digital servos throughout, and a Century gyro for steering. I am still flying on 72 mHz with my 12X transmitter.

The maiden flight was just a few days ago. I am happy to say it went very well, and I was a little worried about getting it down on our relatively small field. But the large airbrake I installed helped a lot.

I have to thank a lot of "old Canadian Roo flyers" for their knowledge in setting this up and making my maiden very easy - guys I know from RC Canada. I looked up a lot of info here as well, thanks RCU!

This by the way is one of the first Composite ARF Kangaroos - with the sheeted foam wings, tip tanks and very sturdy FG fuselages. I wonder how many more years it will keep flying now?

AJC

Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
ajcoholic

Default RE: finally flew a Roo! :)

Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Great Job
Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! just remember to not try to get it out from a inverted stall or spin using power..(don´t ask how I learned it. )
Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to love the ROO!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46416.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1432364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47532.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1432365  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you...I have over 300 flights on my Roo....Loving everyone of them......Horizon to horizon knife edges are fantastic. Kangaroo flips are fun and it rolls faster than you can count them......but as stated before remember power down to recover........right now my Roo is undergoing rehab and a fresh coat of paint. Enjoy her she is a great Jet

best
Brian
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: G4guy

Got to love the ROO!

Hey Ron, it looks like you have another Roo Buddy

Andrew...man you are waaayyyyy up North....A straight line from me

keep up the good work!

If you ever go south of Lake Erie you'll have to come fly with Ron and I at the Titusville PA Airport.

Name:	Sq46674.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1432410  
Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
ajcoholic

Thanks for the invite... never been flying models in the USA yet, but would like to hit some events in the future. Its just SO far to travel, even the model jet rallies in Southern Onatrio are an 8 to 10 hour drive from me - I actually live in Timmins now which is an additional 100 miles / 1.5 hour drive North West of Kirkland Lake where I was living.

I dont plan to "flip" or "flop" my Roo... just fly it around and do basic aerobatics I like the Reaction 54 for more low and close in stuff... its a little more maneuverable IMO. The Roo does roll quick - and its fast, and no lack of power with the 750. But I have heard so many "stories" over the past 10 years about it I will just take it easy for the first number of fights anyway

Thanks for the comments guys, its fun to resurrect an older model!

AJC

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: G4guy

Got to love the ROO!

Hey Ron, it looks like you have another Roo Buddy

Andrew...man you are waaayyyyy up North....A straight line from me

keep up the good work!

If you ever go south of Lake Erie you'll have to come fly with Ron and I at the Titusville PA Airport.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats, Andrew. It's hard to beat a Roo for an everyday flyer. I had a foam wing version like yours for my first turbine.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job! I recall flying Roos with Gaston at Superman in 2000! How is he doing? Tell him Woketman (Mark) said "Hi"!!!

Those were some fun days!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 AM
ajcoholic

He has told me many stories about going to jet events in the USA... he is doing well. Gaston is very active in the hobby - owns one of the best flying sites in the Northern Ontario zone and is the pres of the club. He is a great leader member in the hobby and gets a lot of people interested.

We are heading down (for the 2nd year) to the WIngham Jets event next month. I have a 4 hour drive from Timmins to Hanmer (Sudbury) and pick him up - then about a 6 hour drive to Wingham which is a few hours north west of Toronto.

It is the event replacing the now defunct Belleville jet rally. We have gone together there as well. I will tell him you said hi!

AJC
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Veritech

Seeing that Roo again brings back memories for me. Gaston was at one of the first Michigan Jets with it and he did such a beautiful job with the interior layout that I took some pictures and use that as a model for my Roo.

I also remember at Superman one year seeing that Roo scrape down the runway inverted and upside down on the verticals after a rather nasty Kangaroo hop on landing. I only seen it out of the corner of my eye since i was flying at the time but it was a very unusual yet typical landing roll out for a Roo

Nice to see it in the air again, makes me want to give away my roo carcass in the hopes that someone would be willing to put all the work into it to get it airworthy again.

-Randy
Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta love the Roo with those wingtip tanks. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

PaulD
Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Woketman

I remember that inverted Roo-slide of Gaston's!!! But Randy, I clearly remember that it was on take off, not landing. I remember cause Gaston was not concentrating properly on keeping the Roo straight for the take off run and he jammed the power on too fast. It got squirrly (as Roos sometimes did) on the take off roll and ended up flippng over. No significant damage was done (only scraped up the tops of the verticals and the canopy) and he was soon flying it again.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Veritech

haha, you are probably right Mark. I was in the air with my Butch special (anyone remember that guy from MI?) BVM viper at the time and my hatch blow off just as Gaston's Roo slid by me. I almost crashed watching him and trying to figure out what Gaston could have done to get himself into that predicament....

Good times
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Get the speed brake to come down all the way. It will slow down even more.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
RobinLeblond

Hey Ron, we are some guys flying jets around Montreal (QC), it's a way nearest then RCIsFun... lol...

But congrats for the fly and the plane !
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Its down about 75 degrees. Should I really bring it down to a full 90 degrees? I do have it coming down slowly, taking 2 1/2 seconds to deploy, and there was no trim change. I was told if it comes down too fast it will make the plane zoom up.

AJC
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Woketman

Yeah, get it to come down 90 deg. It does not have to come down that slowly.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Its down about 75 degrees. Should I really bring it down to a full 90 degrees? I do have it coming down slowly, taking 2 1/2 seconds to deploy, and there was no trim change. I was told if it comes down too fast it will make the plane zoom up.

AJC
Make It Go 90degress, mine goes down quickly, no pitch change.
Ron
Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Really nice!!! Congratulations. My first jet was a Roo, had a lot of fun with it.

Name:	Lj22678.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1434207  
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

ajcoholic
Welcome to the, I love Roo club.