Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PAK-FA: video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PAK-FA: video

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:20 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: PAK-FA: video

Looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11927.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1439701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10049.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1439702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48546.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1439703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62383.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1439704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36504.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1439705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80121.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1439706  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Ravivos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone saw the VERTIGO REBEL?
it has a full flying rudders as well
http://www.airshowrc.com/rebel_vertigo.html
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

John,

I beg to differ with your beg to differ. My old room mate, who I talked to more this afternoon was an original 117 test pilot back when ''there was no such thing as the 117''. He was one of the guys who was dual qualified as an A-7 pilot as a smoke screen to explain why they flew so many night missions.

He has hundreds of hours logged flying the F-117 and clearly described the vertical surfaces as ''fins''. He went on in depth to explain why they were called ''fins'' instead of rudders, ruddervators, elevons ETC. Since he actually flew them I would think he would know what he is talking about. He said that due to the designed dynamic instability in pitch and roll...the FCCs would send primary yaw and secondary roll inputs to the fins and primary pitch and roll inputs to the 4 elevons. He said that when the pilot made a control input, the FCCs would first query the fuel system to check the CG at that moment in time and then make combined deflections to best fulfill what the pilot was asking for.

Beave

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I would beg to differ on the ''fins'' of the 117. They were rudders is all accounts. Rigged , removed, and reinstalled those for a good many years and never were they ever referred to as fins; by Lockheed, tech manuals, or those that lived with them. They were rudders only and only provided yaw control. At least that is what we rigged them and operationaly checked them for. All roll control came from the (4) elevons. Either way, that new bird does look pretty awesome!

I would also agree totally with the comment on the RCS, unless they have figured out a way to change the laws of physics.

Haha, this is the classic, "drivers" think they know the systems vs the guys how actually have to know how it works to fix them..

I used to work for this guy who was an ex F/A-18 driver, and I was just starting out in my trade, He was interested and so i showed him some of the text books we were learning from and his response was "oh, they train you guys up to almost the same level as us.." to my response, "ha, no. You guys are almost trained to our level" he wasn't impressed

All they have to know is to read the figure off the dial and when you push left, it goes left... how it actually works??? that was always our problem.

Thanks

dave

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Good points on the "fins". He was an initial cadre test pilot so by the time "it hit the line" no doubt things had changed. The "FCC" we talked about were indeed Flight Control Computers. Since we both fly 767s that's what they are called on that jet so maybe for the sake of conversation that's what he called them. No doubt I knew what he was talking about so I guess it must have worked. [&:] He does keep on threatening to come to a meet so maybe your wish may be granted. Just don't volunteer to buy all of the beer...because you might just end up broke!

See ya,

Beave

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Hey Beave,

I understand your points and your friend's as well. I was not there at the beginning, but do know when I made it to the program during 1987 they were never referred to as fins. They were rudders only. By this time many changes had come to life from the very early bird your friend flew and what we ended up with. The enlarged rudders on the actual production version compared to the smaller rudders on the early FSD birds along with other flight control system parameters (possibly from all his test flights, god knows they learned a lot very fast due to their expertice) made her what she was; one of hte most acurate bombing platforms we have ever seen. All of our tech manuals that we wrote in the late 80's to fix that beast referred only to rudders. Keep in in mind all parts referrences had to match Lockheeds data, no exception there. It was that way until I left the bird in mid 1998. It is truly possible that nominclatures changed during the early days, I just know from my time with the black jet; 1987 - 1998, they were never reffered to as fins. The base was a sub fin and the moveable portion was a rudder. Maybe from those names we can see where they might have been called fins in the very early days. That would not surprise me at all.

Also one other small note is the FCC was never queried in the flight control process. It was the FLCC. I am confident this was a typo due to not knowing all of our acronyms for parts. The FCC is the Fire Control Computer (weapons delivery computer) and the FLCC is the Flight Control Computer of which there was only one with (4) main branches for the quad redundancy. There were not 4 independant flight control computers. Used the same one as the F-16 keep in mind. Also the FLCC would query the gyros first, then the FMC (Fuel Management Computer) before delivering any inputs. At least tht is the way the fault isolation manuals lead us in serious flight control malfunction troubleshooting. This was the same on the F-16 as well, same flight control system. I never flew it, but damned I sure fixed a hell of a lot of them in my many years with that great aircraft!

I would love to have a few beers with your buddy and hear some of his stories. A few hundred hours in that bird in its early days could deliver some stories that I am confident would blow anyone away. I just had a few hours - better than 27,000 hours fixing them in my eleven years.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough Beave. I am sure is stories would be great. One other little note is he was the line as he tested the aircraft. Those guys made things happen when no one else could. We of course followed on their coat tails to keep it working. A great program to say the least.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Was the F-117 really setup as a dynamically unstable aircraft? I thought they went away from that and back to relaxed stability when the F-16 didn't work out so well initially.

Interestingly, the F-22 seems to have gone back to full dynamic instability. Pretty amazing to watch the elevators deflect to set a pitch rate and then immediately return to neutral, then deflect in the opposite direction to stop the rate upon command of the pilot.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: patf

armchair engineering here but looking at the canopy lines and gear doors etc.. i have a feeling the rcs isnt going to be that small
More so than that.. the engine setup is REALLY bad for RCS. There's nothing low-observable about those engine nacelles at all. RCS will be bad, as will IR detection.

Biggest RCS problem that airplane is going to have is head-on looking into the intakes. The engine compressor blades are going to show up like the side of a barn! There's a reason those are shielded from direct view on the F-22 and F-35.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like I said in a way earlier thread on this bird, it looks like a F22 and F23 had a baby
Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That thing looks really cool, but it is 100% BS. It is as stealth as a C-5.