Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First DF

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First DF

Old 07-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Robtck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DF

I would like to know if the Y/A A-4 would make a good first DF. I would like a Byron F-16, yet they seam to be hard to find.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:49 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Default First Jet

I think the best jet trainers are the F-15's. They are big and easy to see, slow down well, easy to build. I'd recommend the Avonds kit. If you are talking about a ducted fan, you can build it without ailerons and flaps (uses elevons) for simplicity and it will fly fine.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Default First DF

I am interested in the Avonds F-15 for DF, must you buy them direct from him in Europe or does he have a rep in the US?
Old 07-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Well...

I have only flown the Y/A A-4 and the TGA F-15 but I can tell you the TGA F-15 is rock solid and not difficult to fly.... Mine is the Byro-version (pusher) so the speed is modest, but it rotates quickly-

The Yellow A-4 flies on rails (Ours has an OS-91/Ramtec/ JMP pipe..) but takes a loong ways to rotate...It moves VERY WELL when it is on step though! I love this jet but your mileage may vary, depending on the powerplant you select...

You WILL get better advice, but I wanted to turn you onto the TGA if you have not thought about it already!

Keeping in mind also that both Shaun Evans from Y/A and Terry Holston (TGA) are right here on RCU for friendly advice!

lata
Old 07-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Robtck

Default First Jet

Thanks for the advice. I will look into an F-15 and fly the A-4 later.

I like the Avonds F-15, but paying the $168 shipping charge is more than I would like. I spoke with Philip Avonds and he said I must buy the model from him in Europe. The good thing is, if you buy the accessories at the same time the shipping cost is the same.

Is there a big difference in the TGA F-15 tractor fan and the pusher. When it come to flying? I know there is a big cost difference.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 01:36 AM
LTV_A7D
My Feedback: (2)

Default On Eagle's Wings

Bearcat, if you want to buy the Avond's F15 from a U.S. dealer why not try here: www.aeroloft.com (their website still advertises them). Also, www.jethangar.com sells an F15 remarkably similar to the Avonds. Don't forget AirMagic and Yellow Aircraft for F15's as well. All of these companies make beautifully scale F15's.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Default F-15

If you are interested in the Avonds, you might also see if someone has a kit here on RCU they are willing to part with. I see them occasionally. There is also another thread with updates today on building the Avonds. He is making it a bit more scale than you need to, but it is still interesting. I built mine without gear doors, etc, to save weight and keep operations simple.

I have owned and flown the TG F-15 and it is a decent bird. A little smaller and less scale, but still an excellent trainer. I would go with the Dynamax fan rather than the Byron, as you can move it to other DF aircraft down the road more easily. Not much call for Byron fans any more, and they don't perform as well. More static thrust, but less performance in the air.

Between the two aircraft, I think you would like the Avonds better as it is a bit larger and looks very scale. They are both easy to fly, but the Avonds slows down a bit better and takeoffs/landings are more scale in appearance.