Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Please tell me I'm being paranoid - New Boomer Wing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Please tell me I'm being paranoid - New Boomer Wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Please tell me I'm being paranoid - New Boomer Wing

Hello fellow Boomer enthusiast,

I was inspecting my replacement wing today and I noticed that the balsa sheeting all around it seemed much more spongy than the old wing. All over it. So I decided to cut a sample out of both wings and check the thickness of the material using a micrometer.

Am I being paranoid? Is this within acceptable norms of balsa nominal thicknesses? Its really spongy all over the wing. I can't hardly handle it without feeling like my fingers are going to crack it. As a matter of fact there was a cracked area near the center and I put some CA on it. This is what got me looking. The older wing doesn't feel like this anywhere.

I'm concerned that this wing will not hold up to my Rhino like the other one has. Am I being paranoid? Should I just put it on and not worry or do you think I should send it back for a replacement? My fear is that they have reduced the thickness of the sheeting on all of the newer wings.

Attached are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eb86783.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	1448986   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk30381.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1448987   Click image for larger version

Name:	uz67621.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	1448988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic83993.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1448989   Click image for larger version

Name:	zk67615.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1448990  
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Please tell me I'm being paranoid - New Boomer Wing

any time you sheet balsa and sand it you're not going to have identical thickness from one area on the same wing to the next much less a completly different wing. grain pattern / wood density will also make a huge difference in the spongy feeling of sheeted structure.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

use your left thumb judiciously amigo and it'll be just fine.

I flew one successfully for a poop-ton of flights and it had an AT450.....or you can always give Alan Cardash a jingle. he'll set ya straight.

buuuuuuttttt............If you're gonna drive like Ricky Bobby [X(]
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

I flew one successfully for a poop-ton of flights and it had an AT450.....or you can always give Alan Cardash a jingle. he'll set ya straight.

lol, Dear Lord Baby Jesus...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAUI_0knfk
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

That's interesting, the Boomer that I have has Russian Balsa wood, hard, heavy well build to last forever , I will say, give Alan a ring, ring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65634.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1449194  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Like a shape shifter....

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

lol, Dear Lord Baby Jesus...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAUI_0knfk
Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 AM
gvbarnes66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you just need to buy better stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM
cavandish

Andy
please report what Alan say's
I personally would be concerned.

as for gvbarnes66, I just had a look through the 6 posts that you have made on r/c universe, they are all cynical one liners, if you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, leave it alone.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 AM
gvbarnes66

Just being practical mate.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: gvbarnes66

Actually, its a very practical decision to buy a Boomerang since thousands of people have bought them and are very happy with the performance of them. Mine has hundreds of flights on it. What could be more practical than that?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: KC36330

any time you sheet balsa and sand it you're not going to have identical thickness from one area on the same wing to the next much less a completly different wing. grain pattern / wood density will also make a huge difference in the spongy feeling of sheeted structure.
Exactly, the wood is softer AND it is either not as thick or it was sanded way to much (over the whole wing). But, I doubt it is sanding. I think the thickness of the sheeting is less. I feel like the difference in strength is significant enough to warrant concern.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I'd be a little concerned. The difference is 1/64". It doesn't sound like a lot but that's a 20% difference in thickness, and, it feels soft.

Bob
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

You're not being practical, you're being ignorant mr 7 posts. The Boomer is one of the most practical jets out there, and it is good stuff, every manufacture has stuff fail at some point.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Andy,

If you really want to add some strength, albeit, some additional weight, you might add some half oz glass to the upper surface.

Jeremy,

I secomd your comment.........

Rick
Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, have you talked to Patricia or Alan about this? Going to Dallas in the morning then to Mt Pleasant later in the day.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
cavandish

"Gregory V. Barnes Head of Design and Systems Integration"

old Mr 7 posts sure has awarded himself with an impressive title !
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: readyturn

Andy,

If you really want to add some strength, albeit, some additional weight, you might add some half oz glass to the upper surface.

Jeremy,

Rick

There is a chap on here who reports that half oz cloth is no stronger than film !
Despite that, who wants to splash out for a new wing, and then remove the beautifull covering it came with ?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Andy, have you talked to Patricia or Alan about this? Going to Dallas in the morning then to Mt Pleasant later in the day.
Apparently they are on vacation... ... I guess I will have to be very easy on it this weekend. I guess Patricia's office will be closed..
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: cavandish

ORIGINAL: readyturn

Andy,

Jeremy,

Rick

There is a chap on here who reports that half oz cloth is no stronger than film !
Despite that, who wants to splash out for a new wing, and then remove the beautifull covering it came with ?
True, I would rather exchange it for another.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
gvbarnes66

I don't think the number of posts means anything. All I can say is over the years I have been approached by many individuals to design and make models. It is not my business but do it for the fun of it all. Their are two points to the size of the models I make, they normally cost very large sums and they are over engineered to a high standard due to their size for safety.
You always find those that have a want for a very large model, most of the time they have never scratch built anything and most of the time they have zero funding and when you get to a certain size you have to start looking at these models as real aircraft and build them accordingly.
Case in point, I was approached a month or so ago in regards to a very large Chinook 4.5 mtr long and would use 2 x jaka 10kw turbines. I designed it up as it was very interesting for me to look at how you would do it only to later find the individual trying to do this has been looking for massive planes over the years and has never progressed past a 90 size. When asked about his financial situation he indicated he had about 2k, now I am not making model I just like the design side. If something has a serious chance of being built by someone and I like it I will get involved on the design side and with contacts for manufacturing. So your looking at a model that would have cost in the region of 40k pounds and that was never going to happen, more than that it would have had 2 5 mtr rotor heads and would ahve weighed about 60kg and been capabile of serious damage if it went in.
As those that know me on RR I am always happy to help but if someone is dreaming then it is a waste of time.
The Comanche was expensive and the next one will cost even more, probably in the region of 30k and there are few that would go that far in $$ terms. Every thing is scratch built right down to the rotor blades, the cockpit alone is 70cm long and will cost about 2k to have 3D printed.
So the point is that many always want something but few can afford it, My like everyone else's time is money and this is not what I do for a living.
This is my hobby and I don't build for others.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
cavandish

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(] and your point is ?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think the number of posts means anything. All I can say is over the years I have been approached by many individuals to design and make models. It is not my business but do it for the fun of it all. Their are two points to the size of the models I make, they normally cost very large sums and they are over engineered to a high standard due to their size for safety.
You always find those that have a want for a very large model, most of the time they have never scratch built anything and most of the time they have zero funding and when you get to a certain size you have to start looking at these models as real aircraft and build them accordingly.
Case in point, I was approached a month or so ago in regards to a very large Chinook 4.5 mtr long and would use 2 x jaka 10kw turbines. I designed it up as it was very interesting for me to look at how you would do it only to later find the individual trying to do this has been looking for massive planes over the years and has never progressed past a 90 size. When asked about his financial situation he indicated he had about 2k, now I am not making model I just like the design side. If something has a serious chance of being built by someone and I like it I will get involved on the design side and with contacts for manufacturing. So your looking at a model that would have cost in the region of 40k pounds and that was never going to happen, more than that it would have had 2 5 mtr rotor heads and would ahve weighed about 60kg and been capabile of serious damage if it went in.
As those that know me on RR I am always happy to help but if someone is dreaming then it is a waste of time.
The Comanche was expensive and the next one will cost even more, probably in the region of 30k and there are few that would go that far in $$ terms. Every thing is scratch built right down to the rotor blades, the cockpit alone is 70cm long and will cost about 2k to have 3D printed.
So the point is that many always want something but few can afford it, My like everyone else's time is money and this is not what I do for a living.
This is my hobby and I don't build for others.

The number of posts is valid because 1. Nobody knows who you are or anything about you and 2. You come on here with minimal posts, every single one of which is either ignorant, arrogant, or full of ego.
IF you do what you say you do, what the hell does this have to do with a boomerang or anything else under 50K???? If you really have the experience and knowledge that you claim to, then why not HELP people by answering their questions without the attitude?
There have been multiple posts over the years asking about Harriers, in another post you made, you claim to have built a 1/4 scale harrier with a scale working pegasus turbo fan, lets see it!
You come on here with a holier than thou attitude, make some HUGE claims, lets see them backed up....
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

no point commenting
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
cavandish

you just have
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Cavandish you are right, frankly I was going to say something else, and elected not to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.