Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design Scorpion questions (for builders/flyers)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design Scorpion questions (for builders/flyers)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aviation Design Scorpion questions (for builders/flyers)

I would ask that for this thread, please, ONLY people who have actually built and/or flown the Aviation Design Scorpion respond..

- How many hours were spent on the build and install - approx. (NOT including any painting). Is it a 20 hour job? 50 hours? etc.

- flying characteristics are good, I know. But, what engine are you using (thrust) and if you are flying off of grass how is it? Take off and landing, and approximate distances.

If you have also some experience with the PHoenix, is it "hotter" to bring in to land? Does it take off in a similar distance? (relative to a Phoenix with a 20 lb thrust turbine)?

-How does it seem to be holding up on grass fields?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Design Scorpion questions (for builders/flyers)

Hello Andrew,

I've flown one for a friend, P120 SE powered off grass. Our field is 140m long. It takes off in about 60 meters, but we have a bump in the middle that help rotation, lands in about 70 80m without using brakes (but with airbrakes and full flaps)

I can't compare with the Phoenix , just know that they have the same wings.
The main gear mounts have been reinforced (doubled the ply thickness , 10 flights until now).
I'll ask how much time he spent on it.

Florent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84252.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1450786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67338.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1450787  
Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I would be very interested in how much time is required for the build.

The Swiss colours - is that a stock paint scheme or did he do it??

AJC
Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Hi Andrew
I just traded my Scorpion a couple months ago. I had the smaller Scorpion when it just came out about 3-4 years ago. Mine was already painted. (Purple and yellow)
As far as putting everything together, with gear....... 30 hours. Bit by bit working on it in the evenings during the winter. It is very easy. Some things I wasn't too pleased about where I personally think AD took short cuts. Poor finish on the seems, the inlets were not finished and mostly,,,, there was no bearings on the horizonal stabs. Just a 1/2 ***** brass bushing with a bit of slop in it. For the cost,,, AD could have did a bit more better finish on the Scorpion.
In the air........... It's cool. It looks like a jet. Flies well and slows down for landings.
I bought mine from Peter at Altecare. I had a couple minor issues after buying it and Peter followed thru with everything. I was VERY PLEASED.......
I flew mine first with a P80,,, It will fly but you need a long runway. I changed out the P80 and put a P120 in it. "PERFECT" Thats the way to go
This was my experince with the Scorpion,,, All in All........ NICE

Good Luck

Hoss
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Eric B. AviationDesign Team Member

Eric B. AviationDesign Team Member's Avatar

Hello
I own the big scorpion (Red Bull) with a merlin jetmunt 160 for a little over a year. has about 150 flights. I started to know him on the fingertips. as you said it's a plane in my opinion, extraordinary. excellent flying qualities at high speed as a very low speed. regarding the small scorpion, it looks like a lot! I have tried with several different engines, small jetmunt merlin 90, Wren 160, passing through Jetcat P120, and other Frank TJ74 Turbine, but the engine that I prefer is the P120 (best compromise in my opinion) He takes off and lands on a paved runway 70 meters with no problem (I put mine on and off for a little less than 100 meters) for mounting the airplane: 2-3 days, radio: 2 days Engine: 1 day.
regarding the Phoenix, I could also fly it with a Merlin 90, it takes off and land very short, it really flying much faster than the scorpion, but using the flap to land, you can give very low approach speeds.
I hope, I could enlighten you in your choice and enjoy your flight.
cordially
Eric B

Name:	If10926.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1451226  
Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have flown my Scorpion with both a 120SE and TitanSE. The 120 is OK to get used to the plane. The Titan makes it even more enjoyable, especially when used with the large 4L tank.  10 minutes flights are possible.

Landings are very easy with full flaps, airbrake and a little bit of gas to control altitude. 

Be careful about the CG. The stock position is too forward/  Mine is balanced right in front of the landing gear.

Arnaud
Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Arnaud I have flown mine with a P-120SE and a P-120SX, and both are plenty of power but a P-160 adds allot to the flight envelope of the Scorpion. The P-120's are at full throttle quite a bit and the P-160 lets you back off the throttle for normal flight. My C.G is set between the strut and rear axle if i remember correctly.

I am not really sure why some guys view the elevator bushings as such an issue on this plane but mine has right at 200 flights and the bushings are still in the same condition as when I built the plane. If they are a little loose when you buy the kit just add a little CA to the aluminum elevator shaft and that will tighten up the play. Would bearings be better? Of course, but the bushings work fine.

It is a great plane and Peter at Altecare is a really good guy!!

Gary

Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great flying jet. Mine is the standard size and we fly it on a 32 lb thrust ulyses. It is excellent of a grass strip and is very solid and sooth in the air.

We had 4 flight on her this weekend here are a couple of flying shots.

I bought this plane second hand so didn't build it

Dont worry it isnt near the buildings It is an illusion

Regards

Dennis

Name:	Jh15089.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1452329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97285.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.4 KB