Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Evojet turbine problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Evojet turbine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
eraysa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evojet turbine problem

Today I finally got the time to go out to the field to do test run , range check of my FB panther which had a brand new Evojet 160 installed.

It was a warm day 85 F. I filled up and started the turbine.About 2 min later while checking the plumbing at full throttle ECU showing 780C and 122900 rpm a sudden small blast and the turbine stopped immidately and there were flames that caused some considerable damage to the airframe.(I have an open setup with bellmouth )
Definetly not being a very experienced person with turbines I am wondering if I did something wrong or simply what went wrong?

It was the third run of a brand new engine.

I would be greatfull if I could get some advice.

Thanks in advance

Eray Savci

Old 06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Evojet turbine problem

Contact SinCityJets on here. I am sure Chad can assist you
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM
SinCityJets

Eray,

Couple of questions....

1) Did you put oil in the fuel (5% - 1 quart per 5 gallons)?
2) Can you still turn the turbine blades by sticking your finger in the turbine and spinning them? (my guess is no)

Based only on the information above, it is the same problem you would see if someone did not put oil in the fuel. You can run a turbine about 3-5 times without any oil additive....after that it releases the magic dust.

Feel free to contact me on here, or email me directly at [email protected], or you can contact the factory directly at [email protected].

Chad
Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 AM
eraysa

Chad ,

I have not yet dismantled the turbine so I do not know if I can still turn the Turbine will do that soonest.
As for the oil; I use Mobil JetII which has a very distinctive color(thats why I actually choose it)..Just now I have rechecked the container ..Yes there was oil in the Kerosene.( I ad a liter to 20 liters)..
What I forgot to mention is that after the incident the hand terminal showed temp 868 C ...even after an hour..

I really am confused.

Thanks in advance

Eray
Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 AM
SinCityJets

Eray,

I am pretty confident the temp of the turbine was not 868 C after an hour. While it is tough for me to diagnose the problem from this end, I think one thing is for sure, it will be making the hop to the motherland (need to be sent in to Germany for service).

I don't know what happened, but something is not right for sure. Whether or not the turbine can still spin freely will be the most telling at this point. If I am interpreting your description of event above correctly "the turbine stopped immedately" then I don't believe it will still spin.

Again, feel free to contact me anytime.

Chad
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you describe sounds just like a catostrophic bearing failure. Reason for this could be a few factors. Dismantling the turbine will give a clue. Are all the turbine blades still there? Rear bearing faulure can result in turbine damage wheras front bearing failure generaly does not.

Andre

ORIGINAL: eraysa

Today I finally got the time to go out to the field to do test run , range check of my FB panther which had a brand new Evojet 160 installed.

It was a warm day 85 F. I filled up and started the turbine.About 2 min later while checking the plumbing at full throttle ECU showing 780C and 122900 rpm a sudden small blast and the turbine stopped immidately and there were flames that caused some considerable damage to the airframe.(I have an open setup with bellmouth )
Definetly not being a very experienced person with turbines I am wondering if I did something wrong or simply what went wrong?

Thanks in advance

Eray Savci

Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks in advance

Eray Savci
That sucks was there a high pitch sound just before the engine stop??. Hope you get it fix. Any Pictures of the damage?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Eagle Driver

sounds like a temp. sensor problem to me .....

Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 AM
eraysa

I have just taken the turbine out of the airframe...Turbine blades mostly damaged even one is missing.

I really dissapointed.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
siclick33

Is that the compressor blades (at the front) or the turbine blades (at the back) or both?

Were you using a FOD screen? Could anything have been sucked into the engine?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 AM
eraysa

Ä°s this common or could I have done anything wrong...?I guess it is a rear bearing failure.

Thanks in advance

Eray
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Jgwright

Eray

Sounds like you had a faulty engine, I would return it for warranty repair.

John
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
eraysa

Compressor blades seem ok.. It's only the turbine blades.And yes I always have FOD screen.There is absolutely no chance that FOD has been sucked..I had had such an experience some years ago and know how that looks.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 AM
SinCityJets

Ä°s this common or could I have done anything wrong...?I guess it is a rear bearing failure.

Thanks in advance

Eray
This is the first 160 I have heard of biting the dust. Especially after three runs. It is not common, and it is possible that there was FOD or something else, but it is also possible it was just a bad bearing from the start. ALthough rare, to say it would be impossible is not honest. There is definitely something wrong with the engine that needs to be repaired at the factory. They will be able to tell if there was FOD, oil, or just a bad bearing.

Send it back in ASAP. Sorry to hear you had a problem.

Chad
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Turbotronic

I doubt its anything you did. Bad things happen. I am sure the mfrs will be anxious to sort it out for you. The high temp reading you get could be because the probe got damaged with the turbine blades letting go. The controller may or may not check for a probe failure ie open circuit or short to shielding/probe outer tubing. The reading seems too low for an open circuit failure unless the controller is programmed never to show a temperature higher than that.

Compressor blades seem ok.. It's only the turbine blades.And yes I always have FOD screen.There is absolutely no chance that FOD has been sucked..I had had such an experience some years ago and know how that looks.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
fun@evoJet

Hello John,

thanks for doing a engine guarantee-check via an internet-discussion forum !
Next time we see us you must teach me this inspection secrets... ;-)

Dear Eray,

please send the engine home for an proper engine inspection. The bare
engine including the Jetronic unit should be sufficient.

(+) Please close the fuel connector at the engine with a 4 mm plug.

(+) Use the original foam box for transportation and shipping only.

(+) Ship direct or via your local dealer.

(+) Enclose a brief description what happens and your contact
details for queries.

We promise you an fast and straightforward checkup.

Arno Hausmann
evoJet GmbH

Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Arno, this is a discussion forum. He was just giving his opinion, just as everyone elses does. Hopefully you treat your customers better then that. Keep in mind that RCU is here for everyone. If people have issues with their product, they come here for advice. Some good, some bad.

Eray, hope they take care of you. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Turbotronic

Quite so,
Eray is missing turbine blades after 3 runs, I'm leaning towards Johns advice. Sounds like it will need more than a checkup...
ORIGINAL: noahb

Arno, this is a discussion forum. He was just giving his opinion, just as everyone elses does. Hopefully you treat your customers better then that. Keep in mind that RCU is here for everyone. If people have issues with their product, they come here for advice. Some good, some bad.

Eray, hope they take care of you. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Jgwright

Arno

I was only suggesting that the engine go back because it clearly had a severe problem. Rather than everyone speculate what may have caused it, it should go back to you to be fixed. Just trying to help.

John
Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
eraysa

First of all I would like to sincerely thank everyone for giving time and their opinion.
Herr Hausmann,
I will send the Turbine as soon as possible as you have described.my only concern being the customs while importing it back.(It may take time to arrange a declared shipment through customs so I can get it back without having to pay vat again.(Our custom regulations sucks)..
I really am very very sorry that it has happened .The time I try to spare for my hobby is so limited and so valuable..I very much hope I can get it back soonest.Even though it will take God knows how long if possible to put the model back in to shape.

Regards
Eray

p.s..It was absolutely no FOD there was a FOD screen installed (I got one along with the engine) plus there is not a scratch on the compressor blades.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well i would suggest chad ships it back for you.
he has the purchasing invoice so he can send it back for warranty and repair return without the hassle of customs.
should not take longer then 4 days to deliver in germany.
secondly Arno has a good reputation as in repair returns.
and dont worry these things just happen , but as always they happen in the flying times...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Aron WILL take good care of you, no worries. Just get it shipped off ASAP!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 AM
eraysa

I have sent the turbine via UPS(paid USD 157).and hopefully will get feedback soon.Meanwhile I'm uploading some photos for those who might be interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15096.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1453365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51895.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1453366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41594.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1453367  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that a lot of damage. My guess or (OPINION) is one of two things, Rear Bearing failure due to block lub line or A single turbine blade broke off causing a chain reaction. Thats why I always have the fire extinguisher very close to prevent so much ,Wire,Airline & Paint damage.

P.S $20 on the tail cone
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: digitech

well i would suggest chad ships it back for you.
Wouldn't make much sense to send it to the U.S. for two reasons.....1) He didn't buy it from here. 2) He would pay as much to send it here as he would Germany.

Gotta think Sandor, gotta think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.