Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

OK... if you are young, and are into video games. I have seen more than one time, where a kid will come off of a simulator, and fly an almost perfect first flight.

I'll drift slightly from KFX's topic, but the following is a comment to Tony's post....

I somewhat agree there with the video games. What I've noticed about kids/young r/c pilots with video game experience is they don't understand the stick doesn't have to go to the corners when flying.

Video games are a great intro experience, as it sharpens hand/eye coordination. What is entirely new to the young r/c pilot is the radio stick movement is proportional to the control surface.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I love my SIM. I can do all sorts of crazy stuff I would never do with my real jet.

Shoot, I fly better than Ali on my sim

As Dubd says, for heavily wing loaded jet simulation, it just isn't up to snuff.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
tms261

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this is an old dead thread, but I just found it! Hadnt used my RF5 for 2 years but used it now to test my new PC. As I'm putting together my first jet, (PST Reaction), I wanted to check out some jets. Primary jets at our field are KingCats, so I got that added. Well, it was sorta what I expected, carries speed, turbo lag, must use elevator to bleed speed, come in as nose high as possible, etc.. etc....landing it felt a lot like one of my old favorites...heavy, painted tuned pipe Sig Kougar.... I could get so slow that my elevator just about quit working, but power it in.

I am sorta disappointed to read this thread and that RF is not very accurate at all with the KingCat, or perhaps any jets. My feeling was that if I got used to the KingCat, the real Reaction would seem more comfortable. I know they are NOT the same plane. But, flying and landing the KingCat on RF is NOT the same as flying and landing a 50cc YAK or Extra or even a Stik on RF. The expectation is that any jet will be harder to fly and land than any of those. And, it is. Well, flying the KC is not hard.

Like some of you, I have been flying for 30 years or so, but not jets. I have found RF to be fairly close on the prop sport planes that I have flown in reality. I'll try loading the KC down for more practice, as with the default settings, it seemed fairly easy to put it on the runway short enough to use brakes.

Just sorta disappointed....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, I think Sims are great for learning maneuvers, and that's it.
What makes a good pilot is
1- great eyes
2- great orientation
3-deep pockets with no fear of spending thousands to replace a crashed jet.
Rcpete
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
tms261

I certainly agree with the "no fear of crashing" statement, whether the pockets are deep or not, or the airframe is expensive or not. Lack of confidence can be as deadly as lack of ability. Thats not to say arrogance is good... As far as the orientation thing...I find that easier in person than on the sim! I have noticed my game addicted son wanting to throw the sticks to the max as File IFR said. When I coach him, he flies the sim just fine.

So, we can't get the pucker factor in the sims....other than that, how do we make them more realistic? Are the guys modeling these things really that far off?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 AM
RobinLeblond

"no fear of crashing"... Can't agree more... It is one of the main key...
But sims are great for unfrosting our thumbs at this time of the year (for us we were in the wnow...) ;-)