Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

I would just like to get some opinions on how Realflight G5 is to turbine flying. I have my first turbine on the way, and will obviously be flying with a CD, but someone told me that aerofly was as close as you could get to the real thing on a simulator. I trust him, I just want to see if it is justified to get rid of realflight and go with Aerofly. I practice for a couple hours every night, but I dont want to waste my time if it is nothing like it. I would like to get any opinions from the professionals out there. I just dont want to spend more money if it is close enough to practice on..Thanks in advance...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How close is Realflight to turbine flying??

I like G5 alot more then aerofly. I don't think either of them are very realistic in any sense excpet flying waaay out and getting used to controling a sillouette.

Just my opinion of course..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both are good for Yak 3D hovering and helicopter practice but with Jet the L39 floats too much to be real. Now try the realflight jet upgrade ,F-18c ,F-14 thats some challenge.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

aerofly for planes realflight for helis

....get some one who already fly jets to edit the f16 on aerofly and make it heavyer so you get the feeling and stalling

my 2c
Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
KFX450

Thats one of the reasons I was asking...The L39 seems to really float..How do I upgrade to the f-18 etc.. that you are talking about..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take three one thousand dollar bills and lay them on the top of the screen. Now take off, fly crazy, and crash into the gound. Strike a match and light the money, watch it burn. Now it is about as realistic as you will get......
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

not at all actually...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Take three one thousand dollar bills and lay them on the top of the screen. Now take off, fly crazy, and crash into the gound. Strike a match and light the money, watch it burn. Now it is about as realistic as you will get......
More like 5 or 6 instead of 3 on average but thats pretty funny stuff Doc.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Grodus

They float because the idle thrust is too hi. The L-39 has 5lbs of thrust at what would be idle ( trim up stick down) and both the L-39 and 86 will takeoff and fly at idle. Thats not realistic and you cant expect to land that way. Edit the 39 by changing the min thrust to 1lb and then bring the trim all the way down on your approach.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
KFX450

So what you are saying it is completely nothing like it.and the software was a complete waste of 200.00..At least thats how I am taking it, as I am going to play nice. Hard to differentiate between, sarcasm, the whole elitist thing, or just a general joke when typed......let me know, i'll just throw it in the trash and hope to god my DF's fly like a turbine...

I'll have anywhere from 8-10 G's in this when it is done and was just looking to see how throttle lag etc...compared. Just wanted to see if it was a good go between before I get with a CD...
Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocYates

.....now that's funny.

Concur that flying jets on G5 has minimal benefits to improve jet flying skills for the reasons mentioned.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't used the newer RealFlight, but the older one I had (RFD), and Aerofly are both pretty unrealistic 'out of the box'. You can do some editing of the aircraft parameters to make then a bit more realistic, but they are both still pretty limited IMO.

Gordon
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
basimpsn

Thats one of the reasons I was asking...The L39 seems to really float..How do I upgrade to the f-18 etc.. that you are talking about..

First fire up your realflight sim then go to the the help menu and click on (WEB SWAP) this will startup a web site, Pick the plane you like and download it to a new folder. Go back to realflight Sim click on import and import the new plane .
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
KFX450

Thank You Grodus..I will give that a whack.....
Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFX450

[snip]

and hope to god my DF's fly like a turbine...

Ah, now you are talking. You didn't give us enough info. What DF's do you have and what is your first turbine model? You may be all set - even without the simulator...

Also, what turbine do you have? most of the newer ones have short enough spool-up time that throttle lag isn't too much of a problem - at least compared to something like an old P-80 or P-120...

Bob
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Grodus

I dont think its a waist of money and once you edit a few settings on each airplane I think its a great tool. Set the view to "keep ground in view" and get rid of the Nav Guides.
Personally, I think my 2 jets are easier to fly than any of those on realflight except for the Kingcat.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
KFX450

Sorry if I wasnt to thorough..I cant stand getting bashed when asking a question..Ive been flying since I was 16..34 now, Had a sapac L-39 which I flew alot and still bashing around on a habu, everything is pretty much a lot smaller than my new project..A lot of low wing warbird time nothing fancy 60 size planes. p-51 etc before flying DF's..I bought a viper 2m with a p-80SE and having it professionally built, this will be the biggest plane I have had and first turbine engine and will be flying with an instructor. Realflight is the only time I have had with a turbine and was wondering how the more experienced with turbines felt it compared to an actual turbine...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, if you took it as bashing you, it was not meant in that way. If you can fly a plane proficently then the trasition to the turbine from a DF is not gonna be a problem for you. In all actuality it will probably be easier. If you want the simulator to be more helpful, load up a giant scale plane and make the airframe about 2 or 3 pounds heavier. You are not gonna have a problem. Don't sweat it.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Grodus

Based on that , you may encounter a problem similar to what i had or have. Largest airplane i had owned in 20 yrs before flying turbines was a 40 size patriot. A Flash is huge to me and I have a tendency to want to line up on the far side of the runway on approach because the size of the jet verses what I had flown for so long
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
KFX450

Thanks Doc..Thats just me taking it the wrong way... I just look to RCU for general help. I wish I had someone here, or anyone at my field that flies turbines just to have along side me, or down the road to come down and check out a problem..Know what i mean..Seems like all the jet action is on the west coast or down south. .
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

First fire up your realflight sim then go to the the help menu and click on (WEB SWAP) this will startup a web site, Pick the plane you like and download it to a new folder. Go back to realflight Sim click on import and import the new plane .
didn't work for me... Im using G5. Do you have to have certain packs first?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
KFX450

Andy,

I actually downloaded a couple skysmater f-18c's, a BVM Bandit etc...you can get just about anything at Knife Edge software swap pages, just google it, sorry I don't have a link. It will tell you how to import them into your G5.... I have had the f-18c, Bandit etc... on there but I thought this was an actual program in realflight. If you get a chance to check it out please let me know how you think it relates to this post. Some of these jets I guess are designed from people that fly turbines...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not I learned How to fly turbines on Real Flight. Then I took the plunge and bought the Cermark MB339 it flew similar to some of the planes on real flight. So it can be done I added weight to my Real Flight planes to simulate actual flying and it worked. I Learned to fly Helis on a Program called Ambrosia AeroChopper that was my first sim.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

didn't work for me... Im using G5. Do you have to have certain packs first?
Should work for your G4 or G5, Click on Help menu , then stroll down to (website) then Click on (Swap Pages). Remember to create a folder to your destop and download your plane mod to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16762.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1457071  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
KFX450

I did not know you could get to it from there...Thats the f-18 I have downloaded also...

Thanks P.Richards...I was trying to make sure practicing on it had at least some relation to the real thing..Thank You

Just wanted to say thanks for all the insight..I hate being a noob just as much as the guy who has to answer my questions..Thank you to everyone for your time and help..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.