Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Portable Generator

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Portable Generator

Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable Generator

Just picked up one of these the other day for $185.
It is a 1500 watt with a 2000 watt surge.It is the same size/weight as the Honda 2000 watt, that everyone has. Only doesn't have the carry handle you need two hands. It doesn't have some features like adjustable idol and only has one electrical plug , no low oil shutdown,
I started up the Honda and this one. It is a little bit louder but no all that noticeable. Hey for $185 how can you go wrong.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/generat...-watts-4458506
Old 06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Portable Generator

Pete, Not a bad deal man. will check this out and thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Come on now dont be like Frank ! You get what you pay for Pete. Dont worry when it wont start I will lend you my Honda or Kubota !
Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
hooker53

Heywho don't like a Honda 2000 but find me a deal on one and I'll buy it!!! Ha. I do agree. You get what you pay for but Pete must be like me and don't intend on using it everyday!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

That looks like the "PEP BOYS JACK HAMMER" Loooooooooooooooooooouuuuuddddd!!

Pal of mine had one... Made him turn it off or park FARRRRRRRR away...
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a Honeywell 2000 for $478 from electric generators direct, fast shipping too.
Very nice unit and runs pretty darn quite.. I compared it to my friends honda 2000 watts and mine is a bit louder bit not much and it's under half the price of the honda.
The honeywell 2000 is 65 db and the honda is like 59 db... so it's not a huge differance.. the honda 2000i go for over $1000 bucks.. most have it for $1200
great unit but not cheap.. the yamaha is even quiter, you can talk right next too it in a normal voice and have no problem... but it cost more than the honda

Here's where I got mine.. I did tons of research and shopping before going with this one... then a week after I bought it Costco had it for $425 that's the way it always works
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....00i/p2569.html
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I've used the Honda 2000i, the Honeywell 2000 and this http://www.harborfreight.com/800-rat...tor-66619.html All beside each other. The honda was barely quieter than the other 2 but was 3 times the price of the honeywell and 10 times more than the harborfreight one.

To be honest, at $100 for the harborfreight generator, if it was at the far end of my 12 foot trailer, you could barely hear it running. If it was at the front bumper of the truck and you were at the back of the trailer it wasn't even noticeable that it was running with normal RC airplane noise. I ran it for about 5 hours a day for 2 days and it may have used 1/3 a gallon of fuel. For the price, it is definitely the best bang for your buck generator.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ron101

I picked up a Honeywell 2000 for $478 from electric generators direct, fast shipping too.
Very nice unit and runs pretty darn quite.. I compared it to my friends honda 2000 watts and mine is a bit louder bit not much and it's under half the price of the honda.
The honeywell 2000 is 65 db and the honda is like 59 db... so it's not a huge differance.. the honda 2000i go for over $1000 bucks.. most have it for $1200
great unit but not cheap.. the yamaha is even quiter, you can talk right next too it in a normal voice and have no problem... but it cost more than the honda

Here's where I got mine.. I did tons of research and shopping before going with this one... then a week after I bought it Costco had it for $425 that's the way it always works
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....00i/p2569.html
Ron,

You missed the boat on that deal !!! Home Depot screwed up and sold that exact generator for $299.95 !!!!! Not just one or two... Everybody on RCU I think went out and bought one from Florida to California !!!! It was about six months ago.. I registerd mine w/ Honeywell on line for the warranty, they called me on the phone !!!!! They were Pissed !!!!!! They asked me if I bought in the Home Depot Store or out of a pick-up truck in the parking lot !!!!![X(] Home Depot screwed up big time !!!! They sold them for that price for weeks before them and Honeywell got it all straight !!!! For once I got the good end of the stick !!!! You will like it, it's a little hard to start most of the time...

Good Luck !!!!

Danno
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I bought the Honeywell 2000 as well when it was all over RCU. The Honeywell like the Honda is an inverter type which has a clean sine wave. If you are going to use the generator for powering a 12 vdc power supply so you can use your 12V chargers, you should check to see if it works. If the AC is dirty and/or clipped, your 12 volt supply may intermittently keep shutting down giving you problems.

Marty
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
hooker53

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I've used the Honda 2000i, the Honeywell 2000 and this http://www.harborfreight.com/800-rat...tor-66619.html All beside each other. The honda was barely quieter than the other 2 but was 3 times the price of the honeywell and 10 times more than the harborfreight one.

To be honest, at $100 for the harborfreight generator, if it was at the far end of my 12 foot trailer, you could barely hear it running. If it was at the front bumper of the truck and you were at the back of the trailer it wasn't even noticeable that it was running with normal RC airplane noise. I ran it for about 5 hours a day for 2 days and it may have used 1/3 a gallon of fuel. For the price, it is definitely the best bang for your buck generator.
Yep-and if ya still like the big props like I do, you can fill the tank on that gen right there with the airplane mix. The engine on it even looks like a Modified ZDZ-80. Ha.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Ron101

Ron,

You missed the boat on that deal !!! Home Depot screwed up and sold that exact generator for $299.95 !!!!! Not just one or two... Everybody on RCU I think went out and bought one from Florida to California !!!! It was about six months ago.. I registerd mine w/ Honeywell on line for the warranty, they called me on the phone !!!!! They were Pissed !!!!!! They asked me if I bought in the Home Depot Store or out of a pick-up truck in the parking lot !!!!! Home Depot screwed up big time !!!! They sold them for that price for weeks before them and Honeywell got it all straight !!!! For once I got the good end of the stick !!!! You will like it, it's a little hard to start most of the time...

Good Luck !!!!

Danno
See I told you that's how it always works for me...lol.. I always miss the boat
You know I will say one thing mine is starting very good every time.. I know there was an earlier version that had a bulb you had to pump mine doesn't have that and starts very easy
but maybe your doesn't have the buld either.. you guys scored a great deal on your honeywells
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
rcjetsaok

Mine has the bulb.... 50+ pumps to prime and I still have to use Start Fluid sometimes.... I wonder what they changed?????

Danno
Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

nevermind
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Ron101

Mine has the bulb.... 50+ pumps to prime and I still have to use Start Fluid sometimes.... I wonder what they changed?????

Danno
I heard about that problem with that version... not sure what they did but it works very well now with out that bulb
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: bcovish

nevermind
Come on Bobo.... spit it out !!!!! I know it's got to be good !!! I'm tough.. I can take it !!!!!

D
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
figueroa

Harbor Freight currently has a store coupon for their 800 watt portable generator. The coupon number is 26987115. I tried it on their mail order site and it works. You get a $ 40.00 discount. Three of my flying buddies have this generator and are very happy with it.