Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is the lightest 80 to 90 sized turbine avalable

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is the lightest 80 to 90 sized turbine avalable

Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
cassiemitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the lightest 80 to 90 sized turbine avalable

I need a turbine for a light weight plane what is the lightest and most reliable turbine out there that is in the 80 to 90 size . What do you think and experiences with them .cheers
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What is the lightest 80 to 90 sized turbine avalable

I dont own a Jet but think your question is kinda vague. do you mean.80- .90 ducted fan engine size plane that you want to put a turbine in to? I think most ducted fans in that size put out 17lbs of thrust. It might help these guys here if you tell what kind of plane you have.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

80-90 size refers to Newtons of thrust, so he means a Turbine with that thrust level:

Lightest EvoJet 90 also the currently the slowest spool up time of the new fast spool up turbines, look for the vidio's on RCU takes about 7 seconds from idle too full thrust.

Mike
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for something to replace a 90 size ducted fan jet, then I would look no further then the Jet Central Super Bee which is now kerostart and puts out like 15lbs of thrust, I think.

The booster 90 is a hair lighter then the jet central rabbit. From videos and personal experience, the rabbit spools up alot faster than that of the booster. The booster looks to be well made and both turbines are kerostart.

I am assuming you are looking for something in the 19-21lb thrust range and I believe these two turbines fit what you are looking for. Do you research and make a decision. Hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Engines in this class include the Merlin 90, JC Rabbit, Wren SS, and Evojet 90. They all weigh about the same but from a power/weight standpoint the Merlin, at 95N, would be the best choice.

Some manufacturers advertised numbers are a bit off; some give bare engine weight and some give the weight of the engine with the mount and wiring. You really need to be concerned with total installed weight. I own both a Wren SS and a Merlin 90. Both weigh very close to their advertised weight, with the Merlin total installed weight is a couple ounces lighter than the Wren. My impression from what I've seen and read is that the weights of all 4 are close enough that it is not worth worrying about. At 95N the Merlin is the clear performance winner. Throttle response is also very good.

http://www.jets-munt.com/pb/wp_b214c...79991503508849

Joe

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Dont forget that the weight must also include the FUEL REQUIRED for the flight. The Rabbit and Merlin 90 are among the best when considering the whole package.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 AM
cassiemitch

As i said reliable turbine ( not ducted fan )
ORIGINAL: airraptor

I dont own a Jet but think your question is kinda vague. do you mean.80- .90 ducted fan engine size plane that you want to put a turbine in to? I think most ducted fans in that size put out 17lbs of thrust. It might help these guys here if you tell what kind of plane you have.