RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM
  #276
Meesh
 
Meesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dracut, MA
Posts: 2,788
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks Mike!
Meesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
  #277
Charlie H.
 
Charlie H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 383
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

HI Guys
Has anybody set up a Elan yet with the P-100 ? Was wondering about the the equipment layout for the CG. I'm stepping up from my Sprint to the Elan.


Thanks
Charlie
Charlie H. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
  #278
mjunior
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sao Jose dos CamposSP, BRAZIL
Posts: 265
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Charlie H.

HI Guys
Has anybody set up a Elan yet with the P-100 ? Was wondering about the the equipment layout for the CG. I'm stepping up from my Sprint to the Elan.


Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,

I did it with a Wren 100 which has the same size of a P-100 but has more ancilaries. I posted a few pics in the thread in previous pages. There is also pictures in a portuguese language forum (http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132082).
I also installed a smoke system. I also moved from a Sprint to an Elan and I can tell you that there is a lots of space in the Elan for a P-100.

Mucio
mjunior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM
  #279
Eric L Smith
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waterlooville, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 8
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Hi Charlie

I am using a JetCat P100RX in my Elan and had problems getting the CG correct I ended up with 2 x A123 packs infront of the fuel tank and the ECU battery under the tank with all other accs forward. it is great, I now have a second Elan and found that the weight of the mouldings vary, On the second Elan I have the ECU battery as far forward as possible to get the balance. Both models will just sit on their tail booms with dry tanks.

Cheers

Eric
Eric L Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM
  #280
Charlie H.
 
Charlie H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 383
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks guys ! Eric what size A123 did you use ?
Charlie H. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 AM
  #281
gooseF22
 
gooseF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 2,325
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Go back in the other thread and look at my build (red radio tray) circa (2007).. wren super sport.. gotta keep the weight back... It had 2 A123's.. to use light motors, either the batteries or other stuff had to go under the main fuel cell.. I move the turbine battery to a tray right behind the main tank, and the ECU under that.. fuel pump/smoke pump under the main tank

In this one, I moved the CAT Trap under there too, which allowed me to put batts more forward.. this motor is a little heavier tho..

If I were doing a small block Wren or P100, I would put the ECU right down on the gear wells behind the tank, put the pumps under the main tank, turbine batt behind the main tank, Trap either under or in hold, then Batts would proabalby end up in the hole or right under the main tank area.. velcro to the side.. depends on the cell weight.. Im saying A123's 2300's..

If using Lipos, I saw a buddy velcro them to the forward face of the fuel tank.. looked fine..cleared canopy fine..
gooseF22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
  #282
Charlie H.
 
Charlie H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 383
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks Goose, good stuff !
Charlie H. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
  #283
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Hey Gang,

I'm thinking of putting a P120 in an Elan I just got. But, a preliminary fit of the engine mount looks like quite a bit of cutting/Dremel-ing will be needed. I've looked through this thread, and while it is possible that I may have missed it, I see where folks have managed to cram a P120 into the Elan, but I didn't see any pics of the installation, or tips/tricks/suggestions on making a P120 fit.

Any help here will be appreciated!

Sluggo
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM
  #284
Countryboy
 
Countryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 2,652
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Here a few photos. Not overly difficult, but you will have to adjust for the JC offset mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67367.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1812248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72924.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1812249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65295.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	1812250  
Countryboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 PM
  #285
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks for the pics. Couple of questions:

Did you have to cut/Dremel the turbine mount rails to make room for the width of the 120? Did you need to cut away some of the fuselage formers in the engine bay? And how did you solve the Jetcat offset mount issue?

Thanks for your help!

Randy
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
  #286
PaulD
 
PaulD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Coquitlam, B.C., CANADA
Posts: 1,384
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

I know of 2 Elans with P120's and another with a PST 1300. All required trimming of he rails to fit the bigger can. I just picked up a new √Član and am going thru the which engine debate right now.

Here's a list I am looking at:

Jetcat 100
Merlin 100x
Merlin 140
BF100 (same thrust as P120 but smaller/lighter)
Kingtech K100

I am using a split tank for smoke so fuel economy is important but also I'm a power junkie so am leaning to the higher end. The m140 may be a bit much but I could always dial it down a bit and this Kees my options open for future jets.

PaulD
PaulD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
  #287
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Paul, you are exactly where I am on this. I want smoke, too, and that is a big concern with the 120 if I go with the split fuel/smoke oil tank. Giving up fuel quantity if running a 120 doesn't seem like a great idea. I've been trying to see where I could install a dedicated smoke oil tank, but the only place I see is right under the fuel tank tray, and that would probably require building a custom tank to fit in that area. I can't find any existing tanks that have a shape that would fit in that spot.

I've been thinking of the P100, K100G for power, too, as well as the Rabbit. The nice thing about those engines is that if I sell the Elan in the future, those engines can power a lot of other airframes. The KingTech is hard to beat for the money, at least initially. But I don't know much about them, and in the long run if they don't hold up it may cost more in the long run.

Sluggo
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM
  #288
Countryboy
 
Countryboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 2,652
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Thanks for the pics. Couple of questions:

Did you have to cut/Dremel the turbine mount rails to make room for the width of the 120? Did you need to cut away some of the fuselage formers in the engine bay? And how did you solve the Jetcat offset mount issue?

Thanks for your help!

Randy
Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Thanks for the pics. Couple of questions:

Did you have to cut/Dremel the turbine mount rails to make room for the width of the 120? Did you need to cut away some of the fuselage formers in the engine bay? And how did you solve the Jetcat offset mount issue?

Thanks for your help!

Randy
It's been a bit since I assembled that Elan, but going from memory... I did have to shave the original mounts and add about 1/4" packing under the mount to bring the thrust line in check. Don't remember having to modify any of the fuselage formers.
Countryboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 AM
  #289
Xairflyer
 
Xairflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Co. Donegal, IRELAND
Posts: 2,738
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

The Elan was not made originally for the bigger turbines and yes trimming is required for P80/120 size turbines. Some of the newer turbines like P100, merlins etc fit better without mods.

Like as someone already mentioned you need a piece of 1/4" ply under the mounts on the P80/120's also if you see from the pic the bracket is now under the lip and hard to get screws in so I drilled holes through the lip to get at them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84822.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1812352  
Xairflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 AM
  #290
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 AM
  #291
Xairflyer
 
Xairflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Co. Donegal, IRELAND
Posts: 2,738
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

I painted all around the turbine area with white BVM heatshield on all the Elans I built
Xairflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
  #292
gooseF22
 
gooseF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 2,325
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Hey Gang,

I'm thinking of putting a P120 in an Elan I just got. But, a preliminary fit of the engine mount looks like quite a bit of cutting/Dremel-ing will be needed. I've looked through this thread, and while it is possible that I may have missed it, I see where folks have managed to cram a P120 into the Elan, but I didn't see any pics of the installation, or tips/tricks/suggestions on making a P120 fit.

Any help here will be appreciated!

Sluggo
much dremmeling.. its also in the other thread..
gooseF22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
  #293
gooseF22
 
gooseF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 2,325
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks

use BVM ceramic paint on the underside of the canopy.. I have a Wren 160 in mine.. I like the power too, and I have the smoke split tank.. I get about 5min and then land.. I only open the throttle going up.. the rest is half throttle.. I flamed out at 7 mins one time holding high as the runway was being cleared once..

I love the power, but Im looking to see how to stuff a smoke tank somewhere so I can get the fuel back on the tank..

All those engine options are fine.. whichever one you have is the best.. this thing would fly on a 70 or a 160.. doesn't matter....
gooseF22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
  #294
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks for the info, Goose. I'll try and find the other thread, and the P120 install posts. I'll for sure go with the BVM ceramic heat shield paint...did that with my L-39.

I am also concerned about fuel capacity with a 120 when going with a spilt fuel/smoke tank. I'd like to have all the tank capacity for fuel, but I've looked closer today, and I just can't see where a separate smoke tank would go. So, for me, if I go with a 120 I may have to forgo a smoke system.
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
  #295
mjunior
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sao Jose dos CamposSP, BRAZIL
Posts: 265
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Thanks for the info, Goose. I'll try and find the other thread, and the P120 install posts. I'll for sure go with the BVM ceramic heat shield paint...did that with my L-39.

I am also concerned about fuel capacity with a 120 when going with a spilt fuel/smoke tank. I'd like to have all the tank capacity for fuel, but I've looked closer today, and I just can't see where a separate smoke tank would go. So, for me, if I go with a 120 I may have to forgo a smoke system.
VF84sluggo

Have you seem that thread already?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._1/key_/tm.htm

Concerning smoke tank options, have you seem what I did in my Elan? Two 14 ounces installed in series below the fuel tank. Take a look in the post #145.
mjunior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
  #296
mjunior
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sao Jose dos CamposSP, BRAZIL
Posts: 265
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: PaulD

I know of 2 Elans with P120's and another with a PST 1300. All required trimming of he rails to fit the bigger can. I just picked up a new √Član and am going thru the which engine debate right now.

Here's a list I am looking at:

Jetcat 100
Merlin 100x
Merlin 140
BF100 (same thrust as P120 but smaller/lighter)
Kingtech K100

I am using a split tank for smoke so fuel economy is important but also I'm a power junkie so am leaning to the higher end. The m140 may be a bit much but I could always dial it down a bit and this Kees my options open for future jets.

PaulD
My Elan is flying with a Wren 100. Very compact, light and powerfull. Certainly also an excelent option.
mjunior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
  #297
mjunior
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sao Jose dos CamposSP, BRAZIL
Posts: 265
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!


Quote:
ORIGINAL: gooseF22


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks

use BVM ceramic paint on the underside of the canopy.. I have a Wren 160 in mine.. I like the power too, and I have the smoke split tank.. I get about 5min and then land.. I only open the throttle going up.. the rest is half throttle.. I flamed out at 7 mins one time holding high as the runway was being cleared once..

I love the power, but Im looking to see how to stuff a smoke tank somewhere so I can get the fuel back on the tank..

All those engine options are fine.. whichever one you have is the best.. this thing would fly on a 70 or a 160.. doesn't matter....
Goose,
Do you have pictures of the new installation (wren 160). I'm considering to upgrade my Elan for a Wren 160 (or the new 140) to have more power when climbing. I don't care for extra speed. Also would the current air inlets a constrain for a 160?
Mucio
mjunior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM
  #298
VF84sluggo
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mjunior
VF84sluggo

Have you seem that thread already?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._1/key_/tm.htm

Concerning smoke tank options, have you seem what I did in my Elan? Two 14 ounces installed in series below the fuel tank. Take a look in the post #145.
I guess I missed that thread. Thanks for the help!

I looked at your post (#145), and that looks like a good use of that space below the tank. I figured that would be where to put a dedicated smoke tank, I just couldn't see where I'd find a tank that would fit.

Sluggo
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 AM
  #299
Xairflyer
 
Xairflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Co. Donegal, IRELAND
Posts: 2,738
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

I would think the wren 160 is far too big in physical size for the elan, you would be much better off with a Merlin 140 or JC cheetah much better power to weight.
Xairflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 AM
  #300
Eric L Smith
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waterlooville, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 8
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Hi

I have an Elan with JetCat 100RX installed, a great combination very light power unit total weight is 21Lbs. The power is all you would want

Cheers
Eric L Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:30 PM.