Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Not a fan of painted canopys but that does look good
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
av8ersteve

Hello all. I guess I'm going to join in if you don't mind. I have an older but in very good shape RAM 750 that I'm looking for a home for and I think this jet fits the bill. Only produces 18 lbs of thrust but I have been told that would fly the Elan easy. The specs from the manual says the engine weighs 2.4 lbs and has a max diameter of 4.25". I have started saving and should have the jet around the first of February. What retracts have most went with? Are there anyone using electric instead of air? Thanks all, and I hope I am welcome here as I am the newcomer.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
jblloyd
My Feedback: (17)

I am using landing gear from DreamworksRC that are custom built for the Elan.  Have had no problems.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/boom...bo-p-1231.html

Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
av8ersteve

That's the exact set I was looking at earlier. Looks like a quality retract system that comes with everything needed. Any vid's posted anywhere on their operation?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM
mtnflyer14

I don't have video, but like jblloyd said, "have had no problems". They fit perfectly, just have to add a 5/8" (or so) spacer under the nose gear and you are good to go. Not much more to say.
Regards,
Gus
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
Welcome glad to have you aboard.
I to use the Dreamworks landing gear and are great for the Elan. Tod and the crew at Dreamworks are great to deal with.
You will love the Elan flyes great with great aerobatics. Read through this tread as there are some good notes for you to take in. I do realize its long but well worth it.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
alanjets

Here's another use for the elan when the weather gets bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-Yj...ff2zYiVGvYHQag
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Justflying1

Considering all the dramas that jet flyers get from non jet flyers this is pretty stupid and irresponsible. What do you think the out come would be if you or someone got injured by your stunt. It's a plane jet use it for what it's intended to be used for and take the hobby a little more seriously.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
alanjets

You should really get a life they are toy planes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Justflying1

I think you should get a life you w####r they are not toys and you should not have the privilege to fly jets.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Justflying1

For a start they are not toys, and people like yourself should not have the privilege to fly jets. Maybe you can play with paper planes until you are responsible enough to fly jets.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
cyphur01

They are toys. My audi R8 is a toy too. I dont need them, they are fun, and i like to do fun things with all of my toys. Albeit these are expensive toys. From Wikipedia " Adults use toys and play to form and strengthen social bonds, teach, remember and reinforce lessons from their youth, discover their identity, exercise their minds and bodies, explore relationships, practice skills, and decorate their living spaces." I don't consider the élan a part of my family or a means for transportation. It is lumped it into the hobby or toys fund on my credit card bill. I don't call MasterCard and demand that they put these into a new category ither than toys. Toy airplane is fine with me bc it makes me feel young. Alanjets have fun and be safe don't slip on the ice. There are my 2 cents. Lets get back to helping people build this airplane.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Justflying1

Most do call the things they buy which aren't a necessary in life toys.
Example for instance Cars you mite be building, your precious bike, boat, Planes being full size or not, and yes I have heard numerous times people calling there leisured full size aircraft toys. I have even heard shooters calling there new gun a Toy.
This seems to be a term that people just use but most now they are really not toys as anything that can cause a serious injury or deathis not a toy.
Large model RC planes including Jets can cause serious injury and even death if these things aren't handled and treatedwith respect.
People in operation of jets must realize this is a miniature turbine, as with large prop planes spinning large props which could easily take a finger or hand clean off. And yes I have seen a few fingers fly off before.
Considering this is a forum that people of all levels and agesvisit from beginners to advancedposting stunts like you did is not appropriate. At least I didn’t find it that way.
Another thing everyone mite want to consider is that this tread is on the Elan which could be classed as a good jet for the people making there first step into jet flying.
WE are supposed to be leading with a good example. In most parts of the world there are strict rules to follow for large aircraft and jets and this is for your safety and everyone else safety.
When you start flying large Modelsand turbine models I believe that you are stepping it up a notch and safety to yourself and the public should be at the top of your priority.
But then again what would I now I should just go and get a life hey
That’s my 2c worth, so lets get back to giving advice on how to put this Elan together properly and post relevant photosand videos.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maidened my Elan today at OLF - Whidbey field.

B100F for power - flew very light and nice power for the airframe.

No issues after 3 flights except for elevator trim. I had to add heaps of up trim - something like 1/8". No throttle induced trim, just lots of up. I think I read somewhere that some guys had to add shims under the rear of the stab - is this why?

PaulD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22004.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1847292  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Xairflyer

I have had to do it on two elans but others say not needed.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Colin Allen

Congrats on the maiden!!

I also had up trim, and then added them shims to get rid of it.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
EngineDesigner
My Feedback: (5)

How much flap is everyone using for takeoff and landing?I have read over this thread but cant seem to find where anyone mentions it.

Thanks in advance,
ED
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
mjunior

My Elan have has two position, one around 35° and the second around 70°.
I don't use flaps for takeoff. Usually I use first position for approach and apply the second position when the model is in the final.

Regards.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: PaulD

No issues after 3 flights except for elevator trim. I had to add heaps of up trim - something like 1/8''. No throttle induced trim, just lots of up. I think I read somewhere that some guys had to add shims under the rear of the stab - is this why?

PaulD
I now have about 10 flights on the Elan and fixed the elevator trim issue with a pair of washers under the elevators at the back. Gonna glue something more permanent in place but the fix seems to be the ticket for this one.

PaulD
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Ok, I'm kind of late to the Elan party......but at last I'm ready to fly my Elan. It's an older jet that I bought from a fellow club member. He glassed the wings and horiz stab, looks nice. I have put a P-120 in it.

I weighed the jet, and the empty weight with a full UAT is 25.5 lbs, kind of on the heavy side compared to the 18-21 lbs as shown for the Elan on the Boomerang Jets website. I know lighter is better, but what I have is what I have. So, I'm wondering what you guys think as far as handling qualities, things to watch out for, etc. with a "heavy" Elan.

Thanks in advance.

Sluggo
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Justflying1

Hello Sluggo,

My Elan came in at 11.5 kg or 25.3 pounds with a P80SE and a full bubble trap. Has dual batteries for receiver and the obvious lipo for ECU.
Considering yours is also glassed I would not say its heavy.
My handles perfectly and I still have plenty of verticalpower to go vertical to do 3 stall spins and be at a safe distance to recover. Not that it needs much input to recover.
Lands easily on a 300ft runway with heaps still left and I can fly it that slow that I have some people at my club come up to me and tell me they thought it was going to fall out of the sky. This is done with flaps of course. I don’t even have crow setup.
Will perform great aerobatics, knife edge, stall spins, snaps, and all the other usual stuff eg rolls loops etc etc .
Things to look out for is the wing pins get wear and you will get some play.
Easy fix and hysol these in place.
Elevator stab does get some cracking in the sheeting. I inspected mine with a camera and found that only the sheeting was effected.
I fixed this by getting thin CA and poring it in every spot I can reach and I have not had any other issues.
I still love to fly my plane every time I go out and it’s the best aerobatic sports jet I got.
Ivan
Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Justflying1

Forgot to mention that I have currently fitted the P-90 as I will be using the 80SE for another project.
Have not flow it yet as I still need to get the new permit but I'm sure the handling will not change as the P90 is basically the P80SE upgraded.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The weight should not be a problem, but once it is rigged see how much play there is in the tail booms, a lot of the trimming issues you read about are in fact the booms moving up and down in flight due to wear in the wing center section, cure as above is to Hysol the ali pins in place to prevent rotation about the main spar.

Mike
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm also using 2 A123's for the rx and a good sized 2s lipo for the ECU and kero start. I don't feel quite so bad about the weight now.

Good advice re. the potential for play in the pins, and the effect on aircraft trim. I went and checked, and I do have a tad of play in the right forward wing pin. Any special technique to hysoling these in? I'm assuming I'll need to work the pin out, then apply hysol and reset the pin back in the center section. I'm also wondering when doing this if I should file a flat spot or two to give the hysol a better grip on an otherwise cylindrical pin.

Thanks again for the help!

Randy
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
mtnflyer14

Sluggo,
I think mine is a couple pounds lighter, but I'm flying it here in Colorado Springs at 6500' on a Kingtech K-80. Not a rocket ship, but does well. No bad habits, great flying jet. Of course, I still find a way to screw up the landing once in awhile! Taking it to Phoenix in a couple weeks; looking forward to flying it at 1200'.
Regards,
Gus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.