RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Quote:
ORIGINAL: highhorse

Quote:
I know Alan has put incredible thought into this so I'm sure the screws work fine. My preference was to use blind nuts and long bolts to secure the gear. I haven't chatted with Alan, but I'm wondering if using the screws allows the landing gear to easily rip out on a hard landing
I did talk to Allan, thats exactly right. It's a deliberately designed stress relief. He wants the gear to rip away from the mounts, rather then the mounts to rip away from the rest of the airframe.
THe downside is that the tank lesson, the gear mounts, and the other things you are struggling with are all addressed in the previous thread. the tanks go in through the intake...

The tank mount has to be taken out for a strengthing directive and to attach tank mounts. see my thread with the Red radio tray under the main tank.. I put alum tubing in the formers to do both. I glued the tank to the tray so it would go in and out perfectly every time. Use #6 wood screws for the gear or you will rip out the mounts at some point and they are a PIA to fix. You will probably have to elevate the nose gear 1/2 inch.

put your vent AFT of the Gear or you will have greasy gear. So many lessons learned in my build.. Have fun its a peach to fly..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Looks like a JetCat ECU in there, if you have it modified to A123 use a three cell triangular pack fits in between the wheel wells and then you will not have to remove it to recharge, its not advisable to re-charge a LiPo in the airframe just in case of problems, but A123's are so stable they can be recharged in place, they also take a high amp charge so can be topped up on the field if needed.

I also use two 2 cell A123's for the Rx packs, no regulator needed, with the Fromeco Kodiak switch you get a Mah read out of how much capacity you have used during the flight as well.

Mike
Again, see the previous thread.. I put a battery tray right behind the tank alot of guys copied that idea after..Keep the weight aft. its a nose heavy airframe. with a light super sport and my turbine batt in back, smoke pump under main tank, my batteries ended up right in front of the main tank on the floor next to the uat.. see the pic. If you dont use a smoke pump, the batts will end up very likely under the main tank someplace. I miss my Elan..
Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goose,

Actually with the new bottles from Dreamworks the trick of sliding them in through the intakes doesn't work. I figured it out and they are both fitting nicely.

I posted photos of the battery attached aft.

I added 1/2 inch to the nose gear and used wood screws for the mains.

I'm not sure what you meant about the vent. Do you mean the tank vent? I'd like to run that sucker out of a port in the bottom of the fuse.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 AM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you run the tank vent out of the bottom do ensure the end of the tube points forward or you have a angle cut on the tube pointing forward, or the tube is long enough to point backwards in flight as straight vertical tubes will vent fuel over the nice new white underside and turn it yellow, lots of disscusion on this elsewhere.

Mike
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 AM
madmodelman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recommend what I have done, run the vent tubing to the rear, drill a small hole in the bottom of the fuse therefore venting any excess fuel out the back, works well,
Gary.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
petera38

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys

Test flew my Elan last week.
Somewhat more sensitive on the ailerons than my Sprint.
Looking forward to exploring the flying envelope....

/Pete
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beware of the woolly elevator???????

Mike
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
petera38

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Mike
I don´t think it was that bad!

/Pete
Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
readyturn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Mike
OK Mike, What is a "woolly" elevator? Pitch sensitive???

Rick
Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didnt think it was pitch sensitive, but if the incidence angle is off, its a PIA. we ended up shimming the rear part of the stab and that did the trick. Your trim will show you how you are. If you have alot of up trim, shim the rear part. try REDUCING the expo. I tried several different settings and ended up around 15% once I got the incidence set (1 washer) in the rear. See the alum tube strengthening along the bottom of the tank formers. It doubles as a tank strap mount for the straps.. so I used marine goop to glue the tank to the tray and it dropped in place and strapped down. this gave me access to the secondary radio tray under the tank that held the fuel pump/smoke pump, and solenoids.

So many tricks I learned from this bird. Its the best trainer... fast and slow, easy to fly, easy to maintain. great presence..

I put a battery tray right behind the tank screwed into the canopy rails. This is right on the CG so you can put anything there. gave access to battery that way. I ran a bunch of different batteries testing them for Fromeco on my turbine. Ran A123's on the RX.. Todds landing gear..

Here are a few pics from back then. did I say I love this plane!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96017.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1479632   Click image for larger version

Name:	dy78049.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1479633   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc80547.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1479634   Click image for larger version

Name:	jc85389.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1479635   Click image for larger version

Name:	ny25988.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1479636   Click image for larger version

Name:	lb46945.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1479637   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac65088.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1479638   Click image for larger version

Name:	yw78115.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1479639  

Name:	rq16403.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	1479640   Click image for larger version

Name:	vh45571.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	1479641  
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys I'd love for you to weigh in on this post: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9917345/tm.htm
Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: readyturn

Quote:

Mike
OK Mike, What is a ''woolly'' elevator? Pitch sensitive???

Rick
The exact opposite, some have reported that on occasions the elevator is slow to respond, even when trimmed out correctly.

Mike
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
readyturn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fired up my Elan today for the first time. The JetCat P-80SE is sweeeeet! First start and it runs like a champ. I also noticed that the starter motor is very quiet (unlike the one in my HP5 helicopter setup with the bendix engaging and occasionally chattering etc.).

I am wondering about two things:

1. When I turn on my AR9200 receiver, the nose gear wants to retract first and then extend. I have the Jet-tronic dual valve.

2. On the brake valve, please tell me I don't have to press the red button when turning on the receiver each time! The AR9200 has a two-button start sequence and that occupies one hand (the other hand is catching the fuse because the nose gear retract! )
Old 08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mkranitz

I fired up my Elan today for the first time. The JetCat P-80SE is sweeeeet! First start and it runs like a champ. I also noticed that the starter motor is very quiet (unlike the one in my HP5 helicopter setup with the bendix engaging and occasionally chattering etc.).

1. When I turn on my AR9200 receiver, the nose gear wants to retract first and then extend. I have the Jet-tronic dual valve.

2. On the brake valve, please tell me I don't have to press the red button when turning on the receiver each time! The AR9200 has a two-button start sequence and that occupies one hand (the other hand is catching the fuse because the nose gear retract! )
In answer to Q-1, did you try rebinding the receiver? If not, please do so. If you have done that and you are running an analog servo, try swapping it out with a digital. If these two do not take care of the problem, you can resort to what I did as shown in the sequence of photos. Notice the modified retract valve servo horn and it's position in each photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zx72408.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	1480893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31101.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	1480894   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26473.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	1480895  
Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Countryboy,

I'm using a digital servo and an electronic valve, not a mechanically operated valve like you have. It may have to do with the Jet-tronic purging air after shutdown and the nose gear not locking in place.

MK
Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Jim Cattanach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Set the TX controls to the positions you want everything to be in when you switch on (especially retracts), then rebind. If you alter any other control surfaces afterwards, rebind again.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
lov2flyrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Correct...Re-Bind with controls and failsafe set correctly and problem will go away.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

you may have to reverse the throw and set it up again. then rebind with gear down.. the valve doesn't care what the throw is, it just needs to know what microsec pulse is "up and down" thats it.. i only know because my brake valve did that to me when I set up, it slammed on.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BAAM, That's the ticket. I now remember this from my ducted fan jets. Thanks for saving the nose of my jet!

Now on to the brake valve issue. ...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I must say that this model has it's share of puzzles. Today I found two more:

1. Is the aluminum threaded wing rod on the left wing in the aft hole supposed to stick out farther than the other three? Mine does. If so,why?

2. The instructions show a hole in the wing root for the servo leads to pass through. Neither wing root on my model has such a hole and if ivwerecto create one where the leads leave the outer wing and boom, it would bore directly into the gear well.

Lost in Lone Tree

Michael
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Doc...

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

As far as the metel rods go, one side does stick out further than the other. Always has. All you have to do is cut the longer one to match the shorter one. No problem there.

Doc...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Stobe777

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one aluminium rod sticks out more than the others because of the flap servo installation. It is put that asymmetrically to allow y- lead on flap servos if one has to save one radio channel. I just cut off the exess. The wires I ran through the second hole in the wing root. Tape the wires together and run them through with a carbon/ metal stick taped to them. Then the aileron wire exits behind the wing tube in hole 4, but I just use a bit longer wire for it and run it past the wing tube in the boom. Hope you understand. Dont run them into the landing gear.

TP.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 AM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Leave it long it helps you to rig the airframe, don't have to get two pins lined up at once, try it you will see what I mean, for the leads I cut a new hole in the wing stub that lines up with the hole on the boom and wing, if you have the time go to the old "Elan has arrived" thread lots of hints and suggestions, photo's and answers to lots of question on there.

Mike

Pic shows the hole needed and a hole to allow reinforcing of the Robart hinges if you use them on the flaps, not my install, but Countryboys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zx71308.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1481819  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. The Elan Has Arrived thread would be a good resource if someone who has not been following it for several years could find stuff in under two hours! Anyway, the real answer would brpe for Alan to include tidbits like these in the instructions. The fact that Strobe suggested cutting one of the rods and BaldEagel recommends leaving it alone makes the case for comments and explanations in the instructions.

For my part, I will leave the length (I had tried it before posting and it worked fine, but I was more curious than anything). I like Eagel's suggestion on the hole location but don't really get the Y harness explanation (I will reread) since having or not having a Y doesn't seem material enough a difference to warrant a structural variation in rod installation.

Search this Thread