Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Feibao F18 A any one who has experience of this plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Feibao F18 A any one who has experience of this plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:01 AM
K-A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feibao F18 A any one who has experience of this plane

Hi, I am considering to get one F18A from Feibao, and I am looking for someone who has experience of this plane, size of turbine, wheigt, flying caracteristics and so on.

BRG K-A, Sweden[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Feibao F18 A any one who has experience of this plane

HI

I have one FB F18F and one Tamjets F18F. I have been flying the Tamjets F18F for years the FB f18 is new this year.

I found the plane to be good in the quality of the paint and most of the structure. I did not use most of the hardware supplied but that was my preference.

I did not like the retracts either (slop) and also history of leaks, so replaced them with Tamjet retracts.

One of my flap hinge points was off and had no "block" behing the trailing edge so I had to fix that..

The bypass cover I could not really make work and changed it out to a Yellow Aircraft bypass, and finally after two trials of the FB tailpipe I eventually put the tam pipe, like in my other hornet, into this one.

I received an update/upgraded nose/main gear when I had contacted Wagner about a wheel/strut problem. Nice to get the upgrades but I could not use the original (one wheel bearing was bad and one strut I could not get the allen screws out of without stripping).

I also reinforced the rudder posts by tying the into the nearest bulkhead.

All of th ehinges and air cylinders were installed, but many were broken and I re-installed new hinges...FB came out with much better hinges shorlty after I bought the plane and sent them to me which was nice

The tank fittings I did not care for and replaced them with aluminum glued in tank fittings from Dreamworks.

Now, many of these thing possibly did not have to be done, but this was was my experience and when in doubt I tried to make it more like the Tamjets that I knew worked.

Flying:
160SX/Tamjets tailpipe/Yellow aircraft full bypass: Plenty of power.
TO can be a little jumpy depending on flap position and nose attitude.

The plane requires a CG that I am still determing the proper CG. I tried the middle range of what was reported I found it to be way too tail heavy.
Actually broke a missile rail and the nose gear strut (coupler to retract unit).on landing. My other one was never a concern on maiden, I think all related to CG..

The good news - when I needed parts, Wagner I think is not the FB rep anymore? Mike/Global Jet club stood by the product and got me replacement parts reasonably quickly from overseas. Nice job GLC.

Oh yeah, I found the brakes sticking just a week or so before plan for maiden. I contact FB and they sent me DHL from overseas the "new" brake Orings. changed them out and my wheels spin well and brake well now. Again good service despite the distance

So, the plane is somethingI like but required much fixing/rebuilding for me. Perhaps I go a little overboard but the plane is pretty strong/reliable. I bet you could fly it the way it comes but might have things to watch closely - those things I chose to change during the build process.

Summary of things I changed
nose/main gear retracts - Tam gear which is direct nose gear servo steering, no wires
Yellow Aircraft Bypass
Tam tailpipe
trued up trailing edges and fixed hinge points
tanks - fittigns from dreamworks
adjust strut length and springs for + incidence
removed and replaced all door hinges and aircylinders
Added CF top and bottom braces (like the tam/bv version) in the area of the main (aft) wing spar
(The FB version had a brace only at the smaller fwd spar position)
I glued my fuse together...my choice

The plane looks great and should be bulletproof. In the end it has been a good project. The outline is good but the Tamjets is much more scale in the area of the nose especially _ FB is easier to work on in the nose though!

I expect that with newer stock hinges and gear/struts that some of the changes I made might not be necessary on a newer version?

I hope this was read as intended - an unbiased report. I have no problems/no alliances with any company.

Feel free to contact me for pictures or any other issues.

Dave
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We too have the FB F-18F .

It is pretty much stock ...had to replace some struts and air cylinders but now it's fine ....we fly it on an old RAM 1000 and it flys well....

Considering the F is much larger than the A type while still flying well on a 28 lb engine ...I think it's safe to say that the A type will perform even better.....Our Bug is some four years old and I know FB have improved since then both their structural techniques and their mechanical parts too .....
Old 07-25-2010, 03:17 PM
K-A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting a Evo jet Booster 130 for my F18 A, compared to the F15 in almost the same Size is it much harder to handle?

I had an F15 from JL some years ago and that plane I liked because it´s fine flying caracteristics and nice landings.

BRG K-A