Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Some of the best "Right Stuff" I have ever seen

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Some of the best "Right Stuff" I have ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some of the best

Which brings a question to mind? (in the theme of this thread of course)

Ummm.....

Why was that movie called the "Right Stuff" when so many things went wrong?

And what's wrong with the title of this thread?

I know,

Silence

Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Read Posner. Case Closed is the title for a good reason. One shooter and only one (Posner exposes the fallacy of your one bullet could not do it argument quite well). That is the fact, Jack! Everything else is simply entertainment or nonsense......

And this is indeed on topic cause I do believe that Oswald also could have saved that jet, not just Ali.
Saint John Hunt, son of E. Howard Hunt of the CIA tells a much different story...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Thanks Dave
NP Joe, I only "look" stupid....
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Amen.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think aliens had a lot to do with Ali hitting the ground. They probably used a gravitational fluctuator to upset his normally precise control. The reason is, they are jealous because he is a better flier than them. Some of them have even posted on this thread.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Read it. You will see all of the REAL evidence, not fantasy. The case is laid out for you. The single bullet did it, that's a fact. You simply do not understand what you see in the Zapruder video.

Zapruder could not shoot as well as Lee Harvey.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Posner is a journalist, Hunt was a CIA officer wich was jailed for conspiracy in the Watergate case.. seems natural to me that he wanted to get even with the CIA with a deathbed confession. Problem is to know if it was true or not!

Who needs Dan Brown books, btw? plenty of real world amazing stuff to read... (including RCU, LOL)
Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ali's incident was CLEARLY caused by Gravity fluctuations induced by ELF communications between Russian Submarines and their home bases. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

I think aliens had a lot to do with Ali hitting the ground. They probably used a gravitational fluctuator to upset his normally precise control. The reason is, they are jealous because he is a better flier than them. Some of them have even posted on this thread.

Dr. Manhattan?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I concur....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9 page
Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, let's keep the thread on topic please. I've just removed a large chunk that had nothing to do with the thread topic

Ken
Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM
madmodelman

Edited out.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

One of the funnest flights I have ever had.... Tearing up the TAMJET A4's with Ali!!! One hell of a stick he is!!! Makes you better just by flying with him...

Good times Ali!!! We need to do it again soon..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om34040.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1475761   Click image for larger version

Name:	nj25443.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1475762   Click image for larger version

Name:	ns45857.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1475763   Click image for larger version

Name:	nh10697.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1475764   Click image for larger version

Name:	it99528.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1475765  
Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if they were identical themes, I'd know that Dougee is the one going smokey smokey.
Yeaaaah boyeeeeeee! Down low with the smoke show.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
jlinde
My Feedback: (2)

Greetings from New Hampshire - I, like many other enthusiasts, am familiar with Ali by exclusively byvirtue of his reputation and coverage of his flying and RC jet business in the hobby press. I've not had the pleasure of meeting him, but my impression from hearing him interviewed is that he is a serious pilot who understands the risks inherent in this sport. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is also either a current or student sailplane pilot. In other words, Ali is immersed in aviation to a degree most of us simply are not.

I haven't attended enough RC events to judge whether the videotaped pass was performed unreasonably close to the spectator area. Nevertheless, It seems to me that the most relevant question is whether Ali was operating in compliance with the local (i.e., non-U.S.,non-AMA)rules for the event.And, based on Ali's first post, it appears that he was.

If the operating rules for shows inBelgiumare less restrictive than their U.S. analogues, that's a policy issue best addressed elsewhere. It certainly wouldn't be the first time our European cousinsproved to be less risk averse than those of us stateside. Can you imagine, for instance, a World Rally race being run in the U.S. with spectators lined up roadside, only inches away from the passing cars?

Either way, it was an amazing bit of flying.

Cheers, Jon Linde

Old 07-31-2010, 02:25 AM
Axel
My Feedback: (1)

I would give any of my airplanes to Ali and Shui any day of the week no questions asked.

Interesting thing happened to me once; my L-39 went into gear fail safe and the gears went down. However, I honestly just didn't know that to have nose gear functioning I had to switch the landing gear down (it was programmed this way so that the nose wheel retract straight it). When I landed dead center of the runway the plane went straight into one of the flying barriers and hit it while one of my friends was there flying. Nothing happened, just my L-39 wing got damaged, but I was really glad that it didn't go any further.

Insurance wouldn't exist if there weren't any risks in everyday life. I've done a couple of flying events were the first thing that I is get a good insurance, no matter the cost, always wanting not ever to have to use it.

As far as the mishap Ali had, I truly am a believer that good things happen to good people. Who would think that Ali wanted that to happen. This is why it didn't go any further than that.

Sincerely,

Axel

Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Now we seem to be getting back to having a serious debate about a serious issue, the question of rules has been /is being raised may I say something as seen through the eyes of a professional pilot ?
It would seem to me that THE most fundamental rule of any aviation (and I have flown and instructed on many types from sailplanes, still do, to heavy jets, professionally for almost 40 years ) a pilot must NEVER, EVER, put his aircraft into a situation where there is NO room for even the tiniest error, regardless of how skilled the pilot may be. Airmanship rule no 1 !

Deliberately flying THAT close to the ground, in what I am told, I was not there, was a strongish crosswind, seems to have been just a situation.

There is a very good saying : " The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill."

I also hear that there was another incident which COULD have been very serious last weekend I understand that a jet crashed at the LMA meeting last week, causing a fire which caused the closure of the M11 due to the smoke, ( a major UK motorway) resulting in 6 mile tailbacks.

We ALL have a collective responsibility to protect our hobby, we just don't need incidents such as these, if we are to continue, as we are almost without regulation.

Now, please discuss in a sensible, mature and objective manner.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

All getting a little more sensible now!

a pilot must NEVER, EVER, put his aircraft into a situation where there is NO room for even the tiniest error, regardless of how skilled the pilot may be. Airmanship rule no 1 !
This is the "perfect world" scenario but we don't live in a perfect world. I seem to remember you had the misfortune of crashing a model onto a hangar roof? I am sure you didn't mean to do that as that would clearly have contravened Airmanship rule no 1!? Had Al's model not touched the ground and merely passed over at 4" nobody would have said a thing. This is why this thread is kind of pointless as we all do things every day of our lives that 'could go wrong'. Who hasn't pulled out of a junction quickly to get into busy traffic? But what if your fantastic and normally reliable driving skills failed you for a millisecond and you stalled the car?? Yep, you'd get a car crashing into you - do we go round berating everyone who does it/has ever done it?!? No we don't. What happened to Carmanship rule no 1???

Why can't people just accept that this was a mistake? Millions are made everyday resulting in stubbed toes, to lost limbs to the deaths of hundreds of people. It is part of human existence and whilst Al may be a damn good pilot he hasn't reached a level higher than human normality!! When one has then they are in a valid position to rant on and on in this thread.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 AM
madmodelman

Nicely put Mark!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry, Mark, you don't get it, I am NOT berating anyone BUT can we discuss this and other incidents in purely objective terms without turning it personal.

What I AM saying is: is there nothing we can learn from this incident, can we not take a look at how we do things and see if we CAN or should change or improve matters, or are we just going to sweep it under the carpet and forget it. Maybe we can maybe we can't. I don't know, but without objective and dispassionate discussion (or attempts at censorship) we may never know.

With your approach the real aviation worlds, civil and military, would NEVER have achieved the superb safety levels we currently enjoy. Zero fatal air transport accidents in Australia or UK and many other countries, for many years has certainly not made them complacent, far from it. Every incident, whatever the cause, which could have led to a more serious situation in slightly different circumstances is reported and analysed, hopefully to prevent a recurrence or something more serious, in a no blame culture, where honest and open reporting is greatly encouraged. Trust me, it works, why do you think we have it, as it does in the nuclear industry (I am told by one who knows).

Yes, I put a model, a BVM T33, through the hangar roof at Wroughton, maybe you can tell us the details.

I also put an RAF jet into a farmyard in Northumberland in 1963, very nearly killed the occupants of the farmhouse. Was anything learned form that blameless crash, you bet there was !

Regards, David.

PS. 4 INCH (did I read that correctly ?) passes at high speed directly in front of the crowd, are you SERIOUS, ?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Let it die, Butters hard, fat ladys a singing, It's over Johnny etc etc....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt58077.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	1475953   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48952.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1475954   Click image for larger version

Name:	ty66694.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1475955  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Now we seem to be getting back to having a serious debate about a serious issue, the question of rules has been /is being raised may I say something as seen through the eyes of a professional pilot ?
It would seem to me that THE most fundamental rule of any aviation (and I have flown and instructed on many types from sailplanes, still do, to heavy jets, professionally for almost 40 years ) a pilot must NEVER, EVER, put his aircraft into a situation where there is NO room for even the tiniest error, regardless of how skilled the pilot may be. Airmanship rule no 1 !

Deliberately flying THAT close to the ground, in what I am told, I was not there, was a strongish crosswind, seems to have been just a situation.

There is a very good saying : '' The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill.''

I also hear that there was another incident which COULD have been very serious last weekend I understand that a jet crashed at the LMA meeting last week, causing a fire which caused the closure of the M11 due to the smoke, ( a major UK motorway) resulting in 6 mile tailbacks.

We ALL have a collective responsibility to protect our hobby, we just don't need incidents such as these, if we are to continue, as we are almost without regulation.

Now, please discuss in a sensible, mature and objective manner.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Now everyone do what David tells us to do or else !
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Sorry, Mark, you don't get it, I am NOT berating anyone BUT can we discuss this and other incidents in purely objective terms without turning it personal.

What I AM saying is: is there nothing we can learn from this incident, can we not take a look at how we do things and see if we CAN or should change or improve matters, or are we just going to sweep it under the carpet and forget it. Maybe we can maybe we can't. I don't know, but without objective and dispassionate discussion (or attempts at censorship) we may never know.

With your approach the real aviation worlds, civil and military, would NEVER have achieved the superb safety levels we currently enjoy. Zero fatal air transport accidents in Australia or UK and many other countries, for many years has certainly not made them complacent, far from it. Every incident, whatever the cause, which could have led to a more serious situation in slightly different circumstances is reported and analysed, hopefully to prevent a recurrence or something more serious, in a no blame culture, where honest and open reporting is greatly encouraged. Trust me, it works, why do you think we have it, as it does in the nuclear industry (I am told by one who knows).

Yes, I put a model, a BVM T33, through the hangar roof at Wroughton, maybe you can tell us the details.

I also put an RAF jet into a farmyard in Northumberland in 1963, very nearly killed the occupants of the farmhouse. Was anything learned form that blameless crash, you bet there was !

Regards, David.

PS. 4 INCH (did I read that correctly ?) passes at high speed directly in front of the crowd, are you SERIOUS, ?

Why do you keep typing certain words in CAPS in your posts........... I dont get that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.