Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Some of the best "Right Stuff" I have ever seen

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Some of the best "Right Stuff" I have ever seen

Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some of the best "Right Stuff" I have ever seen

At one min forty-five sec. Scotty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXUP1FHufs
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
tulz161

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some of the best

HOLY SMOKES!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW! What a recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelieveable!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Crazy me.. but I see something different here. I see an airplane a split-second from hitting the crowd. Ali's a great pilot, but he got lucky here. IMO, the airplane shouldn't have been put in a position to get into this situation.

A lot of you talked crap about BV with his Airshow-itis post, because of perceived motivation, but it doesn't change the fact that the message was sound.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...talk about a worm burner..Pure luck the plane wasn't destroyed, but talk about staying in control and keeping away from crowd..
Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Crazy me.. but I see something different here. I see an airplane a split-second from hitting the crowd. Ali's a great pilot, but he got lucky here. IMO, the airplane shouldn't have been put in a position to get into this situation.

A lot of you talked crap about BV with his Airshow-itis post, because of perceived motivation, but it doesn't change the fact that the message was sound.

I was sitting here trying to decide if I should say anything or not, but as I'm not the only one feeling this way here's my thoughts.

Ali is a great pilot, there is no doubt. But along with great piloting skills comes a responsibility. Whether one likes it or not, people try to mimic the people they look up to or respect. While it was a fantastic recovery, it was a recovery from a situation that was 100% avoidable. Every event I have personally been too (which is not a huge number) has always stated that low passes be made off the far side of the runway, not smack down the middle. The jet came dangerously close to coming into the flightline (I won't say into the crowd because I'm sure people will argue that at that point he was past the crowd, he may or may not have been, I don't know from the video).
Regardless, as I say, this is something that was totally avoidable. Skill definitely played a part, but luck was the biggest contributing factor here.
I have a lot of respect for Ali and his skill along with his place in the jet community. My sincere hope is that this experience keeps him (and all) jet pilots performing crowd pleasing manouvers, but doing so with a much larger margin for error.
I'm glad all ended well in this situation, but it could have been a total disaster.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots of luck and skill there, for sure. Personally, I find worm burner passes to be about as exciting as torque rolling... [:-]

Bob
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy....here we go again [&o]

Great recovery!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

This is a classic example of a pilot getting wrapped up in his display and throwing caution to the wind. We are all lucky someone was not harmed...or worse.

The video clearly defines why the safety rules should apply to EVERYONE. No matter how good you are...or how good you think you are...you are only one misstep from tragedy...especially when flying at a large meet.

Beave

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Great Job Ali!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This shows the importance of having a good, tall and solid fence in any major r/c event and preferably in any r/c club... This could happened with anyone here for whatever reason, and fortunately Ali recovered it well.

Enrique
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: bevar

This is a classic example of a pilot getting wrapped up in his display and throwing caution to the wind. We are all lucky someone was not harmed...or worse.

The video clearly defines why the safety rules should apply to EVERYONE. No matter how good you are...or how good you think you are...you are only one misstep from tragedy...especially when flying at a large meet.

Beave

Could have been a bit of bumpy air........ "Throwing caution to the wind" CLASSIC!!!

Good save after hitting some bumpy air Ali!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nk27739.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1474437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43116.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1474438  
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
AFTERBURNER1

Throwing it to the wind!!!! CLASSIC!!

Name:	Sq46534.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1474443  
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM
AFTERBURNER1

[8D]

Name:	Ig12146.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1474444  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Way to save it Ali!! I don't really see much caution thrown to the wind here. This is not the first time I have seen a plane scrape the ground while in flight and that person never came under scrutiny. It all looked like a typical Ali routine to me and like Dougy said he hit some rough air. You should be glad he saved those people, a lesser pilot would have not been so lucky.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Doug, Is that a POT i see
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

I was sitting here trying to decide if I should say anything or not, but as I'm not the only one feeling this way here's my thoughts.

Ali is a great pilot, there is no doubt. But along with great piloting skills comes a responsibility. Whether one likes it or not, people try to mimic the people they look up to or respect. While it was a fantastic recovery, it was a recovery from a situation that was 100% avoidable. Every event I have personally been too (which is not a huge number) has always stated that low passes be made off the far side of the runway, not smack down the middle. The jet came dangerously close to coming into the flightline (I won't say into the crowd because I'm sure people will argue that at that point he was past the crowd, he may or may not have been, I don't know from the video).
Regardless, as I say, this is something that was totally avoidable. Skill definitely played a part, but luck was the biggest contributing factor here.
I have a lot of respect for Ali and his skill along with his place in the jet community. My sincere hope is that this experience keeps him (and all) jet pilots performing crowd pleasing manouvers, but doing so with a much larger margin for error.
I'm glad all ended well in this situation, but it could have been a total disaster.

Quite............. Jet flying as a hobby will always be on the edge of being limited and any bad accident will only cause this to be worse
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well done Ali.

What if the left wing tip would have touched the grass and the plane would have veered to the left off the crowd ? No one would have really spoken about safety etc...
So I would rather say bad luck mitigated by great pilot skills.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job Ali
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Firstly let me apologise again for this incident. I am deeply embarrassed by what happened, and am not looking for any credit for the save. Instinct is all the save can be attributed to, and ideally I would of course preferred that the plane never got close to that situation in the first place.
Now lets take some time to run through some things.
Firstly and most importantly, I was to breaking any rules. There was no minimum height limit at this event.
At the time, and throughout the weekend all of my flying ( Apart from one cross wind touch down) was on the far side of the centre line of the runway. if you look at the video you will see the entire wing is clear of the centre line.
We have no speed limits here in Europe but I can assure you that the model was well below 200 mph. The simple fact is that I made a mistake. I am very sorry for it, but it happened. I make mistakes in pretty much every flight. Some are obvious, some are not so obvious. This one was about the most obvious I have made to date, but given the amount of flying I do, I am pretty satisfied with my ratio of mistakes to flights.
I believe almost any flight we make as pilot is filled with an element of risk. Risk that something goes wrong with the model, risk that something goes wrong with the pilot. I try and manage the risks the best way I can. Believe me when I say that on every single flight I ever make I am always thinking in the back of my head " What if" What if the wing is to fail at this point? What if I stall here? What if I lose signal right there? Whee will the model end up? I kid you not, my thought process during a flight is filled with those types of thoughts.
This was not my first low pass of the event. I had made a few with the Epic on a previous flight, and run the thought through my head of what if I clip the grass. I never once thought it would veer around and face the crowd as it did. Again my mistake, for which I apologise for.
As I mentioned above. I think about risks while I am flying a hell of allot. I also think about risks in general a hell of allot. I see so many situations on my travels where I think to myself, damn! Thats so potentially dangerous, yet nothing is ever mentioned. I watch many cases at different events around the world where pilots who are maybe flying a plane well beyond their capabilities bumbling through a flight, semi in control always looking like they are seconds away from a crash.
I see pilots who have maybe not been flying for x amount of months suddenly decide that the weekend of a big event will be a good time to jump back on the sticks.
I witness pilots who have such a track record for crashing model aircraft ( of any type ) repeatedly welcomed back to public events where their poor flying skill of currency almost ensures a crash or a incident of some sort.
I see models ( Often huge great big models) That are so badly built, installed, maintained regularly flying at events.
The list could go on and on. What I am trying to say is that there is risk in almost every aspect of this hobby. The only way to ensure this does not happen is to ground every model.
Sure we can introduce a whole load more restrictions, but is that really going to eliminate the danger totally?
I know I am going to get jumped on for this incident, and I know there are a bunch of guys out there just desperate to take a chunk out of me. In some ways I guess I deserve it. But will it change the way I enjoy my hobby?? No!
I know in my head how much thought and attention I dedicate toward the safety of my flying, my models and what I do, and I sure as hell know that guys like me are not the ones that run the risk of hurting this hobby.
Regards Al
Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 AM
Aussie Bart

Ali

If only we were all as honest as you!!! Who amongst us can claim that they have never pushed that boundry just a little bit hard? Yes you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time but what saved your plane (and possible crack up into the crowd) is what most of us strive for, those lightning reflexes.

I personally have a shed full of f***ups, but I must admit that my "maturity" and experience is ruducing that number constantly.

It is only the idiots amongst us that don't stand up and take responsibility for their actions.

We have a saying down on the other side of this world of ours, "you’re a top bloke" Ali

How about doing us a favour and move away from the dreary ol’ mother land and set up shop down here.. Lots of good flying weather
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 AM
SpiderJets

I have been in the pilot's box for a few hours during the event (while measuring speeds with a speed gun). I have also witnessed this touch-down myself.
I can tell everyone without hesitation that Ali did respect all weekend long at any moment all the safety rules of the event.
Still, he did not cross the chalk safety line, whereas several others got instant remarks from the flight directors.
He also made similar low passes with other jets at much higher speeds, but then at larger distance from the safety line.

Nicolas.

PS. To my amusement, there was another pilot announcing "low level pass !" very time he passed the field with his trainer jet. He would not even have hit a church tower. The term seems to be quite flexible. (Or the worms he might wanted to burn were Godzilla size).
Old 07-28-2010, 04:34 AM
u4eake

You may have been in the pilot box, I was standing under Ali's out of control jet when it passed over the safety fence and over my and my wife's head.
I can tell you that I sure as hell would have preferred the cautious guy with his trainer at that moment !

Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 AM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: u4eake

You may have been in the pilot box, I was standing under Ali's out of control jet when it passed over the safety fence and over my and my wife's head.
I can tell you that I sure as hell would have preferred the cautious guy with his trainer at that moment !

I totally agree with you !

I was in the starter box at that moment (in line with the fence) and it was very scary to see the plane getting that far, heading for the camping site.
My first thought was : how many pilots would be able to save it on the rudder and then inverted ?? Great job Ali.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the video, the low pass down the runway was not unsafe, attend any model show & you will see similar passes & at much higher speeds. It was unfortunate that the model touched the ground, but control was not lost.
More times than not, when attending the local flying field, for various reasons, more dangerous events happen. They are part of the hobby, like it or not.
Everyone involved & spectators attending should be aware, that jet turbine flying can possibly be dangerous & by attending accept that risk.
Accidents involving personal injury in our hobby are rare compared to some other sports. This fact is a credit to organisers & flyers who attend the events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.