Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

This could not have happened at a worse time...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

This could not have happened at a worse time...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:57 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This could not have happened at a worse time...

Goose:No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick:Sorry, Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower.

Viper:Top Gun rules of engagement are written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, nor am I. Either obey them or you are history. Is that clear?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
wahoo

Captain, Road Prison 36:What we got here is... failure to communicate.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beave, Beave... Ya got it all wrong.

Ya see, block-buster movie quotes from the mid 80's will tip the scales in favor of the RC guy.

... I gotta throw some humor in this thread [8D]
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 AM
wahoo

Find humor where you may.... 2 lives (if not more) were in the balance of some seriously bad decision making...and it wasn't the RC's decision in question !!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 AM
jessiejames2012

damn how much was that plane worth
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
wahoo

No where near what the human death count could've been !!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jessiejames2012

More than you can afford, pal.

SLICK.

Now wishing ThunderbirdJunkie was able to use that in a forum that would get it
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Public Event different rules apply
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One aspect that I have not seen talked about much is the "go around". To go around means that you have been there before. What was the FS pilots movements during the minutes prior to the accident? There was a comment about the plane being quickly hangar-ed after the incident which could mean that the pilot was local. Being local he could have or should have been aware of the ground activity of the charity event. If he made an approach in the proceeding minutes, then he was likely current on the conditions of the field. The RC pilot was up for quite a while before the incident. Standing next to the "air boss" was at some level an indication he had permission to be there.

There is a lot of blame to go around... RC pilot needed a spotter and maybe should have flown off of a ramp rather than an active runway. Poor planning by the event organizer. There are many RC aircraft on the ground when you view the video, so he was not the only UAS operating . The "Air Boss" did not have positive control of the situation and was maybe too close to the action to realize the big picture. The FS pilot made a flyby at low altitude and the smoke announced his intentions as to the "aerial display" maneuver... While he had every right to the runway space, he might have lost that right in communication with the "air boss".. not an easy straight forward situation...

In retrospect, I think all of us can see the problems mixing RC and piloted aircraft. Radio communications are not fool proof and the pilot was not required to have any communication equipment. While a NOTAM would have been preferred, they are not always read by a pilot before a flight... I doubt that the field had ATIS service.... so closing the runway for the demonstration might have required the white X at each end of the active runway.

I would have to think twice before flying at an active airport after seeing this. Keep in mind... we fly with piloted aircraft above us every day... watch for them and avoid them. Fly low until they clear the area.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Just sit back and chew it over with a Twix candy bar...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

So, you have not flown in 17 years? Yep...you are just a "no nothing know it all" like I figured.
Well its very likely that the FAA inspector, and the judge you will appear before after buzzing the tower will have even less hours and more inactive time than I.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: bevar

Oh, I see. So when I am landing in San Diego and I skip over the parking garage by a couple of hundred feet, I am going to get violated? Man oh man...shut down the airline industry...we are all violated. Ever land at LGA? Man, there are a couple of million more violations for the slam dunk from the tank farm...all of those apartments we fly over. Oh no! What about the thousands of guys who flew over Shea on takeoff during Mets games??? Yep...the airline industry just folded because of your interpretation of the FARS.

Oh poop!

Beave

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The FAR's have changed since then
Not that much, mostly the airspace control zones. Part 91.119 seems pretty much as I recall it. It applies at all places including airports. I said before and I will say it again, if you turn downwind early and pass over any structure or people on the airport, especially if they are where they should be, you can be cited for violating part 91.119. That is what they will cite if you buzz the tower for example. A fly bye is not landing or taking off and unless this pilot had a waiver then it is illegal.

If those are the traffic patterns then it's OK, it is when you stray off of the pattern that you can (not likely) be cited.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

I like the sudden rise in all the self-proclaimed FAA Inspectors who are quoting and posting regs.

Amateurs! Makes me laugh so hard!!! Just leave it to the FAA Inspectors who KNOW what they are doing ....

Everyone else is just a "tire kicker"

PS ... When someone yells, "Look out" or something to that effect, as in the case of the inept 'airboss'. A normal persons' reaction would be to lower their head, or duck. Chris, the r/c guy, had his plane at about 10 feet at that point. He should have cut the throttle and dropped his toy to the ground. But NOOOO ...... he acellerated and climbed right into the path of the biplane. Which would be like standing up when someone yells, "watch out."
Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
greybeardaviation
My Feedback: (2)

Couldn't resist putting my 2 cents in

1. Thank God both the pilot & passenger are alive

2. If you can't stand loosing your rc airplane - don't fly it

Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sporty Pilot, It is unwise to challenge Beave on this topic... especially at this point. Beave is not a Sport or Recreation pilot, he flies equipment slightly heavier than an ultra light.
And I have 30 years of engineering experiance working with airfield clearances.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

The biplane was not over the runway, he was on the far side of it. their appeared to be no structures in his flight path nor where there any people.
The cameraman himself was less than 200 feet away. This was a private airfield, the pilot was required to check that the field was clear before starting his landing. Even so he would have been OK for a landing, which this clearly was not.

Waivers do not usually waive the 500 foot rule, except for thos participating in the stunt, show. But yes he could have a waiver, but it has been reported that he does not hold one at least for this event.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The biplane was not over the runway, he was on the far side of it. their appeared to be no structures in his flight path nor where there any people.
The cameraman himself was less than 200 feet away. This was a private airfield, the pilot was required to check that the field was clear before starting his landing. Even so he would have been OK for a landing, which this clearly was not.

Waivers do not usually waive the 500 foot rule, except for thos participating in the stunt, show. But yes he could have a waiver, but it has been reported that he does not hold one at least for this event.
quit picking and pulling quotes w/o the rest of the "story" that goes along with it, just so you can make your rebuttals when you aren't even including the entire comment. You should work for Fox news or CNN as you are very good at being the weekend expert.

I am truly done.. this thread has now gone past the point of no return

Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

AND AGAIN, you are wrong. you are talking about something you know nothing about.

The business segment in the company I work for has over 50 WAIVERS to operate our King-Air 90 aircraft at altitudes as low as 100 FEET! I personally have over 1000 hours of low level flight time (300' and below). So i kinda of know what i'm talking about in regards to the 500' rule. its how i make my living! We also do 90% of our operations at 300' AGL at NIGHT wearing Night vision goggles Over very congested areas like, miami, tampa, houston, new orleans, Sacramento... and many others.

If you dont know what you are talking about (which you have proven time and time again) Please don't open your mouth about the subject.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jessiejames2012

Who cares.....it has a prop on it!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

PS ... When someone yells, ''Look out'' or something to that effect, as in the case of the inept 'airboss'. A normal persons' reaction would be to lower their head, or duck. Chris, the r/c guy, had his plane at about 10 feet at that point. He should have cut the throttle and dropped his toy to the ground. But NOOOO ...... he acellerated and climbed right into the path of the biplane. Which would be like standing up when someone yells, ''watch out.''
MODS HAT OFF

A 3D pilot is concentrating pretty hard on his aircraft when it is in the hover, add to that the fact that it was a public display. If he is given some kind of warning or alert his natural reaction will be to add power and climb out of the hover. Why, because that is what you do when flying 3D and you are in the hover and something goes wrong. Since the first time he started learning to hover power and climb out is what you do when it goes wrong, it is a reflex reaction.

For a 3D pilot to cut the throttle and drop to the ground he would need to get a very specific instruction and even then he would need to be able to overcome his learned reflex reaction to do that.

BTW I am a self confessed 3D hooligan.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

AND AGAIN, you are wrong. you are talking about something you know nothing about. The business segment in the company I work for has over 50 WAIVERS to operate our King-Air 90 aircraft at altitudes as low as 100 FEET! I personally have over 1000 hours of low level flight time (300' and below). So i kinda of know what i'm talking about in regards to the 500' rule. its how i make my living! We also do 90% of our operations at 300' AGL at NIGHT wearing Night vision goggles Over very congested areas like, miami, tampa, houston, new orleans, Sacramento... and many others. If you dont know what you are talking about (which you have proven time and time again) Please don't open your mouth about the subject.
I was refering to a waiver for the event, not the individual. However, it was reported that neither the event or the individual has waivers. AlthoughI amnot sure if you can rely on the reporting.

For Air Force shows we make sure all buildings on the opposite side of the field are empty, and then that is the only area that they are allowed to break the 500 foot rule. So maybe you know about general waivers, but I am refering to waivers for events, and those participatingin the event.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

AND AGAIN, you are wrong. you are talking about something you know nothing about.

The business segment in the company I work for has over 50 WAIVERS to operate our King-Air 90 aircraft at altitudes as low as 100 FEET! I personally have over 1000 hours of low level flight time (300' and below). So i kinda of know what i'm talking about in regards to the 500' rule. its how i make my living! We also do 90% of our operations at 300' AGL at NIGHT wearing Night vision goggles Over very congested areas like, miami, tampa, houston, new orleans, Sacramento... and many others.

If you dont know what you are talking about (which you have proven time and time again) Please don't open your mouth about the subject.

Sport_Pilot, Yea... What Thomas said !!!!! Give it a break dude !!! Let that cut under your nose heal !!!!!!!

Danno
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sport_Pilot, Yea... What Thomas said !!!!! Give it a break dude !!! Let that cut under your nose heal !!!!!!!
So this is a sporting event? Do you think you have to win an argument. Iam wondering ifyoujet jocks will admit to being wrongfour to six months fromnow when the investigation is complete. Invertmast wastalking about a differant type of waiver. He is talking about general waivers that have nothing to do with air shows and fly in's. I was refering to waivers required for a specific event.

To be even more specific a waiver requested by form 7711-1.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Pecanpatch

I just want to see the dang video so I can judge for myself [:@]
Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Ask...and thou shall receive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcN-0PikEU&feature=player_embedded#!

Beave

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

I just want to see the dang video so I can judge for myself [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.