Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat Fuel Pump

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat Fuel Pump

I have a JetCat P-120 fuel pump that won't start at the .250 start-up voltage. Even when I increse the voltage to .450 volts it won't start. If I manually increase the voltage to 2.5 volts it finally runs. Does the pump need to be replaced? Can I replace the motor?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
afterburner chuck

Default RE: JetCat Fuel Pump

replace the pump its cheap insuranace the pumps do go bad and do cause flame out and hung starts
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
igoren
My Feedback: (23)

Hi, before you change your pump ,check the connection of the wires to the pump. you may need to re solder the wires ( loose connection , and not all the st rend are connected ) this will affect the starting ,running and so forth of the voltages .
let me know your findings,
regards,
Isaac
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If the pump has not been run for a while or is new you may have to break it in. Some pumps can be sticky initially. This is not unusual for Hausel pumps. The procedure is to run the pump at around 4 - 5 volts ( do not exceed 5 volts ) for about 4 - 5 minutes then in reverse for 4 - 5 minutes. Generally this is all that is required and you should be good to go.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, check for obstructions in the kero lines.

Arnaud
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem wich was traced to the wire connections to the brush's, I eventually soldered the wires directly to the brush holders inside the rear casing, gave the wires more support and cured the problems I had, I did put a thread on here somewhere, but no idea where, do a search you may find it.

Mike

EDIT: found a link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9786876/tm.htm
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like someone ought to be working on using a brushless motor for jet fuel pumps .. not only because they are so much more reliable than DC motors (no brushes) but also because the ECU can command a specific RPM and know that the motor will turn at precisely this rate .. seems like it would make the whole system much better.

Dave
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Seems like someone ought to be working on using a brushless motor for jet fuel pumps .. not only because they are so much more reliable than DC motors (no brushes) but also because the ECU can command a specific RPM and know that the motor will turn at precisely this rate .. seems like it would make the whole system much better.

Dave
Even more reason since the addition of kero start where the pump motor needs to spin very slowly during the start sequence. Sometimes after one of my jets has been sitting for a few months the pump motor needs a test prime or two to get it moving during the first start of the day.

V..
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Dave
Good idea, but thinking about this the ESC for brushless motors are vastly different to brushed motors, so that would mean updated hardware and software for the ECU, a lot of trouble for what is not after all a major problem with most pumps supplied by the manufactures.

Mike