Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with BVM F86

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with BVM F86

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with BVM F86

I have a 15 year old 63 inch wingspan BVM F86, that I have had over 50 flights on, using a OS91 and Ramtec fan. Several years ago it became heavier (probably fuel soaking) and the engine also lost performance, so it was retired to the loft and sadly forgotton! I then bought a Falcon 120 and put a low time PST600 on the back of it, and have never had so much fun. Recently I bought a Jetcat P60SE, and flew the Falcon with that and the performance was awesome with more thrust and quicker response, but now I had two engines and one airframe, but what about that old Sabre, now covered in cobwebs and dust? I dragged it out, stipped the airframe, rebuilt the wing with stronger spars and U/C mounts, and fitted it with the P60. Total zero fuel weight is 16lbs, which is only one pound more than when it was ducted fan, so the performance should be great with the little Jetcat.
My problem is that I cannot remember where the C of G is. At the moment, it is 10 inches back from where the leading edge meets the fuselage. This is about 65% of the chord towards the rear, measured from wing chord front. It APPEARS too far back, but swept wings are generally further back along chord. Can anybody with one of these jets please let me know what C of G works best, or if they could post a pic of the BVM plans, showing the C of G.
A couple of pics showing my project, and yesterday I started her up and taxied around the backyard. The thrust felt amazing! The fuselarge only became warm, so my heat sheilding appears to be working. Also my homemade thrust tube was made from very thin aircraft stainless steel and the bell mouth was a $3 pet, spun aluminimun water dish, cut down with my trusty Dremel
Thanks! [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38533.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1492198   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx75710.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1492199   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc80353.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1492200   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf94580.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1492201   Click image for larger version

Name:	qb37324.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1492202   Click image for larger version

Name:	iz38783.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1492203   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd93031.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1492204   Click image for larger version

Name:	kf13896.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1492205  

Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with BVM F86

Check here, http://bvmjets.com/Pages/CG.htm

it lists the throws and cg for all BVM planes

Hope this helps

Jack G Diaz
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Aussie1

Thanks Jack, I did not know about that page. It would Seem about right. I would still appreciate any experiences with this model under turbine power, if anybody would like to add.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aussie1

Thanks Jack, I did not know about that page. It would Seem about right. I would still appreciate any experiences with this model under turbine power, if anybody would like to add.
Did you reinforce the stabs? He rear fuse should have a layer of cf added around it to strengthen the stains and take away some of the flex there.

David Reid
BVM Rep

BVM Rep
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Aussie1

David, I did re-inforce the stab and rear fuse area, with glass cloth. It seems very stiff, and certainly stronger than before.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 AM
Aussie1

""
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 AM
PDR200

Hi Aussie1,

Nice work on the BVM Saber
Will you be coming to Temora Jets in Sept??

I think we met at S.A Jet Action this year, I was the guy with the homebuilt Turbines.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Aussie1

Hi Paul, my whole purpose on working so hard on the Sabre was to fly it at Temora. Sadly for me, I will be working OS for the entire period of Temora!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Aussie1

I have had a few PM's regarding my Sabre. Here are some pics of my home-made jet pipe, and the bellmouth is a cheap cut down aluminimun dog water dish. Works perfectly! Total weight came in just under 17lbs, and cost of the turbine conversion was around $400, so even though the original airframe is 15 years old, it just shows what can be done. Better than new!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	da83455.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	1500668   Click image for larger version

Name:	av68751.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	1500669   Click image for larger version

Name:	pu52770.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	1500670   Click image for larger version

Name:	fz74751.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	617.9 KB
ID:	1500671  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Aussie 1,

Love what you have done with the F-86. They are fantastic models and far too nice to leave hanging up in the loft. I have a friend with one a similar vintage to yours that is still flying on a D/F and 91R !!!! BVM recommends the P60 for their current F86 ARF, and I believe yours is identical in size and layout.

One thing you might want to consider. As you know BVM always run a fully ducted bypass around the engine, weather it be D/F or Turbine. They do not recommend flying without the bypass cover, as the airspeed creates internal pressure which may be enough to blow off the hatch cover. It may pay to check your hatch cover is up to it.

Good luck with it, and if we don’t get to see it at Temora, maybe Wangaratta next year..

Roger

Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Aussie1

Hi Roger, I have intalled a extra long hatch latch with a 1/8th inch pin. Right from the start of the conversion I decided to keep it simple and have a single main tank in front of the engine, in the airflow. I have seen several similar types flying locally (F16 and Panther), and they are not using the bypass duct, so I hope that it works O/K! I will not get a chance to fly it before I leave on a overseas working trip (reason that I can't make Temora!) According to my fish scales, it's pushing about 16lbs thrust static, so it should go great, as I set it up, as per the BVM website data. I have many flights on the model with ducted fan,but it was marginal, just fine once it got going.
By the way,I just got off the phone talking to Tony Rosen, of Trim aircraft, and he will be flying his new F86 with his new electric Ramtec fan, pushing 17lbs of thrust! He is bringing several new models to Temora, so wish I was there.

http://trimair.com.au/component/virt...category_id=15
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Dave Burns

Hey Werro,
Nice to see the '6 has had a facelift (or 2) - Now there is no excuse for revamping the garage - or do you me to come down and clean it out for you and cut up some soldered extension leads???

Hope you and the family are all well.

Dave Burns
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Aussie1

ORIGINAL: Dave Burns

Hey Werro,
Nice to see the '6 has had a facelift (or 2) - Now there is no excuse for revamping the garage - or do you me to come down and clean it out for you and cut up some soldered extension leads???

Hope you and the family are all well.

Dave Burns
Hi Dave, nice to hear from you ,mate! Those dodgy extension leads are long gone, much like the old Skyburners (named after you?!) I'm sure that you are down at Temora, right now, trying to scam a free brekkie off Max or one of the other campers! How's that clapped out old Skymaster F15, fitted with equally worn out Jetcat, going? It's very frustrating having two complete turbine jets sitting in my garage, while Australia's largest model jet event starts today at Temora. I'm really pleased with my decision to rebuild an old model, as it was effectually a scratch build, and it restored an old girl to former glory, but fitted with current technology that wasn't readily available 15 years ago. The weather looks pretty good as well.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/so...-slopes/temora