Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How to install a wing servo in a jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to install a wing servo in a jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install a wing servo in a jet

Need some help about installing ailerons or flaps wing servos.

Pictures will be appreciated

If theres is a thread about this subject, please redirect me

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47009.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1497085  
Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to install a wing servo in a jet

Guillermo,

I am guessing you have no guides as to where the hatches should be? If not couple of choices.
Decide on the location for the hatches, you need to try to avoid cutting through spars and such, so see if you can fathom out where the internals are, sometimes if you darken the room and shine a strong light through the wing from the other side you can see where the internal structure is from the shadows etc.
Mark the hatch positions, dont make them too small so its a nightmare job to get the servos in, give yourself room. Tape off and depending on the material (sandwich or straight glass) cut the hatch out - sharp blade is OK on sandwich, or one of the many options to cut glass detailed here on various threads. If you are really concerned about the hatch cutting, clean and wax the areas around the hatch location (lots of layers of wax) then lay up some glass cloth over the area to make a mould - then you can make replacement covers for your hatches if the need arises.

Once cut, you may need to line the bottom of the area where the servo will sit with some carbon cloth for extra strength (again helps to leave a good hatch size), once this is done you can mount your servo on your chosen mounting which gets glued into the wing.

Oh one other thing, try to make sure the area you choose to mount your servos in is thick enough to house the servo, carbon cloth and the mounting plate/device. This is not easy but you can carefully push a pin through the skin in the area selected to do a depth check, if for some reason its not right you only have a tiny pin hole to fill.

I have made some servo mounts recently for JR and one Hitec servo, these sorts of mounts are generally available in various formats and would suit your task.

Good luck

marc

Name:	Ig12918.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1497149  
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Jgwright

Guillermo

I bought 3 sizes of JR servo mounts recently from this firm in Germany

http://www.servorahmen.de/index.php?id=29

I used the normal large as well as mini and midi size. They are great to use because the servo fits in them so well and yet they are easy to undo and take the servo out at any time. I could not find anything as comparable in the uk, and Ali had run out of the Tamjets ones. The frames can be glued (with Hysol) and screwed to a ply plate which is glued in the wing. As Marc says make sure that the opening is large enough, I recently had to retro fit servos in a plane where the hatches were not only too small but were not quite in the correct place.

John

Name:	Lj24160.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1497158  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Geometry:

-servo Rod 90 degrees to the hinge line

-pivot point of horn aling with hinge line

my 2c

Name:	Tr50470.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1497165  
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.flyeaglejet.com/en/AT3Manual.pdf

http://www.flyeaglejet.com/en/F16%20...20Manuals.html

I prefer the method as shown in the first link as it allows you to tie the top & bottom skin together maintaining structural integrity.
As Marc S said in his reply, just make sure you are not cutting into any internal structure. Hatch mounted servos is another option, but you need to beef up the hatches so they are very rigid and make sure you have a solid base in the wing to screw/bolt the hatches down to. Even with this method, I would box the opening so as to tie the top & bottom skins together.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

FEJ high torque servo???? LMAO

too hard to copy a Hitec so they get away with a sticker
sorry i couldnt resist guys...
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Marc/John/Countryboy/George:

Thanks very much for your valuable help.

After reviewing all your recomendations, my wing is very similar to the Fly Eagle jet wing, (No ribs. Just two spars and the spar half span for the carbon fiber rod that secures the wing agaisnt the fuse.),so because of space, the best method I can use is that on Countryboy post.

The servo I am planning to install is to deploy a LE Flap installed in my F-16 .

Thanks again.