RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   1/4 scale F9F Panther build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10009222-1-4-scale-f9f-panther-build.html)

Instructor 10-24-2012 06:20 AM

RE: 1/4 scale F9F Panther build

:eek:Hi JoFunk,

The Ziroli plans already call for 1º of washout in the build. Since you have 5/8" positive AOA, then you should have 3/8" washout, or about 6º. That is a lot of washout. I wouldn't use any more that 3º washout at the most.......

Larry

jofunk 10-25-2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Out with the retracts and on with the primer. Yesterday it was in the 70 degree range in Chicagoland, so I sprayed the fuse. I also sprayed the hoz. stab except where it will get glued and glassed to the fuse. Every time I use a spray gun I need to take a crash course on how to use it. I still may not be using it correctly but it got the job done. After the job was done I took the plane out from under the deck and put it in the yard because it is not truly finished until a leaf or a bug lands on it. The fuse will get a 120 rub down and the I can attach the hoz. stab. Then it will really be a pain in the ***** to move around and the hanger rash will begin.

THESCALEMAN 10-25-2012 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some more tonight.......white lettering...also made up some wing tank fuel caps from litho plate, these will be painted red

jofunk 10-28-2012 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John and John came over Saturday to work on their Panthers, so there were 3 of them in the basement yesterday. Mr Roth worked on tightening the gap on his hatch with a couple squishes of bond. Mr Fun sanded down the primer that he brushed on a while back and then filled a few low spots with icing. He also worked on fitting his intakes into the fuse. When you grab the intake by the wet ca you glue your finger to it. When he tore his finger free I'm sure he left a little skin on it.

jofunk 10-28-2012 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to mention that they worked on installing the splitter plate that goes on the fuse in front of the intake. There was a big discussion about how thick it should be for a 1/4 scale airplane. Mine are already done and a are probably too thin but I am not looking for super scale like those guys. Does anyone have a good picture of that area of the plane to add to the discussion? Mr fun also lost his new tube of icing that he just bought. The tube in the picture is being claimed by Mr Roth.

jroth 10-28-2012 03:28 PM

Joe,

The icing in the picture appears to be used, look at the hardner, it is squeezed. It is also in my work-space. Mr Fun said he bought his icing that morning and it disappeared somewhere between the auto body store, your house and his house.

All I can say is I brought my icing to your house and I brought it home. My icing is currently in my basement.

If you had to bet money on who lost their icing, who would you bet on?

John

jofunk 10-29-2012 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John,

Here are the stars and bars for the fuse and the wing on the Panther.

jofunk 10-29-2012 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vladimir came over this evening to lay out the control surfaces on his wing. We then opened some holes for his servo pockets and burned a hole through for the servo lead. We also attached his tip tanks.

jofunk 10-30-2012 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John,

Here is how I came up with the 112 1/4" length on the fuse.

jofunk 11-04-2012 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vladimir came over today with his wing and fuse. He got the control surfaces cut away and the wing capped. He also finished his removable hoz. and vert. stab. He also wanted to show me the wing and fuse center section of his new tow plane with a lot of the parts machined out of aluminum.

jroth 11-05-2012 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A building party has been called for tonight! Pizza around 7pm.

Dennis, Jo Funk and Mr. Fun are all confirmed to attend the building party at my house.

We are getting close to needing paint. Joe used the paint chip that I made from a 1/2 ounce Testors bottle of FS #15042 Gloss Sea Blue. Mr. Fun read in a plastic modelers forum that the Testor's paint was not correct. I was able to contact the GSA and the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michigan, they both provided me with a Federal Standard chips of #15042 and it looks more blue than the Testor's sample. I talked to the PPG customer service and the said they had the formula for FS #15042 and I could have the PPG automotive paint distributer call them for the formula.

I will post some pictures of the progress tomorrow.

jroth 11-06-2012 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, there has been a lot of sanding/filling/priming and repeating over the last several months. The current focus was the hatch fit and the winglet filling. After almost 7 hours last night I think the winglets are pretty good, they were filled, sanded, primed, iced, sanded, wet sanded in most areas and with a little more sanding they will be in good shape. The hatch fit is way better but it still requires some glass work where I sanded through to the bare balsa.
The surfaces are about ready for the first coat of primer.
I started “boxing” in the wheel wells, but I have to check the inlet fit before I finish the wheel well floor.

THESCALEMAN 11-06-2012 01:18 PM

coming on really nice Joe.........i see you have a eurofighter as well.......great minds think alike.....

mines nearing the weathering stage now.....

cheers

jofunk 11-11-2012 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While watching the Bears give one away I painted my wings. I also painted all the control surfaces on one side. I stuck a wire in the hinge hole with a weight on it to keep the control surface from blowing away when I shot it. Rainy, barely 60 degrees, and inside with the fan blowing out the door I still get a bug to land in the paint job. It took 10 ozs. of paint to do everything with a couple of coats. I will probably give it a few more coats when everything dries. It is a slow dry when it is cool and humid out. With the latex paint it looks covered initially but once it dries it looks like it can use a little more color. I took a pic. of the top of the can before I started in case it got painted over in the process. The $10 harbor Freight touch up gun works pretty good. Just gotta keep it well cleaned.

jofunk 11-12-2012 06:12 PM

Who has 1/4 scale jet pilot busts? Once I get a pilot I can start on a cockpit.

smchale 11-12-2012 06:32 PM

Skymaster sell some.
http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...roducts_id=526
Oops, just read that you only wanted a bust....

smchale 11-12-2012 06:38 PM

These guys may be able to put something together for you without getting a full body.

http://www.iflytailies.com/store/pil...-scale-pilots/

Tim Redelman 11-13-2012 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
......:D

jofunk 11-13-2012 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See, he really is Mr. Fun.............. Here is the color difference between wet and dry paint. It still needs a few more coats.

Tim Redelman 11-13-2012 09:27 PM

lol!!

jofunk 11-14-2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim, you should warn everyone that before they click on the pdf that you posted, they should be morally and psychologically stable before viewing it. It contains some pretty powerful stuff............. Well I glued on the hoz. stab. I couldn't put glue in the saddle then slide the stab in. There would have been glue all over the bottom of the stab. So I taped off the fuse, slid the stab in place, jacked up the stab, packed glue into the gap, then let the stab back down. I mixed some cabosil into the glue to thicken it so it would not run out. I squeegeed off the excess and removed the tape. I did not start to back fill the gap on top in fear of moving the stab while the glue is still plastic. I will let it cure well then start filling the gaps. I aligned the stab by eye and a few measurements. For kicks the last measurement I took was from rear end of tip tank to tip of hoz. stab. Knowing that the rear end of the tip tanks wound up where they are at by a bunch of casual building, I didn't think they would have anything to do with each other or being aligned with the center line of the plane. One side was 48" tip to tip. the other was 47 3/4" tip to tip. I'll go down there tomorrow and find that the stab slid out on the glue then anchored itself in cockeyed.......When it is all secure and back filled it will get a few layers of glass, then some finishing, and then some paint

THESCALEMAN 11-15-2012 01:31 PM

Hi Joe......

finished mine........looking forward to seeing yours finished........looking really good

cheers

dave

AndyAndrews 11-15-2012 05:49 PM

Looking fantastic guys!

jofunk 11-15-2012 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dave and Andy, I filled in the gap above the stab with some balsa and light filler. I just don't have the patience to cut the wood to the precise size so I cheat with a little light filler. When it dries I'll sand it a little and glass in the corners.

jofunk 11-16-2012 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I glassed in the Hoz. stab today with 3 layers of 2 oz. cloth, 2 1/2",2" and1 1/2" wide. Only the nastiest of wrecks should knock it loose. I also put a few more coats of paint on the wing. I think the wing is pretty well covered now. When the paint was drying you could see the location of the bulk heads in the tip tanks. I sprayed Krylon primer on some shelf liner and will eventually paint it blue for some peel and stick hatch covers. I ran over to Eager Polymers today to get some more PVA mold release. They are a great place to get anything for mold making. Eagerplastics.com . I shot the canopy with PVA and laid on some 2oz. and 6 oz. cloth to make a canopy frame. When it cures it should peel off and then I can trim it to shape and size. The 6 oz. cloth was cut offs from when I laid up the inlets. I cut enough glass to put one layer on. Then with the resin mixed up I decided to put more on. It was a little messy trimming pieces as I went along. the resin gets everywhere.