RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skymaster L-39 Assembly and Scheme Change (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10013139-skymaster-l-39-assembly-scheme-change.html)

k_sonn 07-30-2012 04:30 PM

RE: Skymaster L-39 Assembly and Scheme Change

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Kirk, bring that nice looking L-39 to Best In The West. Joe C!!!
Thanks Joe. I'm waiting to see if my vacation request is approved so I can go to BITW. Plan to bring the L-39 and Hunter.

Kirk

k_sonn 07-30-2012 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: trioval00

I finally got a pic of mine and the full scale last weekend.</p>
Nice looking scheme.

Kirk

k_sonn 08-19-2012 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received the paint mask and dry transfers from Ralle on Friday. Spent today finishing up the painting. I have alittle touch up to do and the painting will be completed. Next, I'll weather it and then apply the dry transfers.

Kirk

k_sonn 08-20-2012 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

When weathering a multi-colored scheme I like to start with the darker color. I started with one of the dark patches on the left wing. I use dry paint pigment and place it in each rivet, panel line, around the hatch covers, etc., then wipe the surface down with a damp cloth and repeat as needed until I good the desired look.It's not the fastest way to weather but I like the way it looks better than an air brushed wash. More to come.

Kirk</p>

k_sonn 08-21-2012 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Top of the left wing is nearly complete. Just need to do the small white section at the root.

Kirk

gamalierlozada 08-22-2012 08:59 AM

Looking great Kirk!!

k_sonn 08-22-2012 01:29 PM

Thanks Gamalier.  Weathering shouild be done before the weekend so I plan to take it to Jets Over Whidbey for static display.  I'll try and better photos then.

How's your L-39 coming along?  Have you flown it yet?  If so, how did it go?  What's your impression of the DS-77 HST?  Any video?

Do you plan to make it to E-Jets?

Kirk

gamalierlozada 08-22-2012 02:16 PM

Well I maidened mine and everything went fine. Can't be happier with my selection of edf unit! Sadly on the second flight we lost all power after 3 1/2 minutes because we were flying it all the time at 1/2 - 3/4 of power and we landed in the rough. To our amazement the plane came down level all the time. When I inspected a wing got a little T shape crack and some former damage in the front strut and right wing. As I type the paint is drying and all formers were glued, should be flying this weekend. I will turn off the voltage cut off from the ESC (our suspect of the power loss). Besides that planes flew awesome and with plenty of power and given the proven fact that it wont drop a wing no matter how slow it flies that gives me an extra piece of mind. With throttle management and once the batteries are broken in we should get better flying times.

k_sonn 08-23-2012 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The left side of the fuse has been weathered and most of the dry transfers that go on the left side have been added to that side.

Kirk

k_sonn 08-23-2012 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: gamalierlozada

Well I maidened mine and everything went fine. Can't be happier with my selection of edf unit! Sadly on the second flight we lost all power after 3 1/2 minutes because we were flying it all the time at 1/2 - 3/4 of power and we landed in the rough. To our amazement the plane came down level all the time. When I inspected a wing got a little T shape crack and some former damage in the front strut and right wing. As I type the paint is drying and all formers were glued, should be flying this weekend. I will turn off the voltage cut off from the ESC (our suspect of the power loss). Besides that planes flew awesome and with plenty of power and given the proven fact that it wont drop a wing no matter how slow it flies that gives me an extra piece of mind. With throttle management and once the batteries are broken in we should get better flying times.
Hey Gamalier,

Sorry to hear that. The manual for the HST fans recommends turning off the voltage cut off setting. Although these fans are very effecient, they can pull a lot of amps on a fast throttle up due to the rotor loading up. I have throttle delay programmed into the ESC on my Hunter and will do the same on the L-39. The delay allows for a slower spool up, much like a turbine, and helps prevent voltage spike and ripple.

Bring your L-39 out to E-Jets. I won't have my L-39 ready in time for E-Jets but I'll have the Hunter out there.

Kirk

RalleKnalle 08-23-2012 09:33 AM

Hi Kirk,

had you probems with the dry transfers on that matt/flat surface? did you sand the suface before applying the transfers? sometimes it is tricky to apply the rub ons on very matt surfaces...sanding with scotch brite grey or 2000 grit soft sanding pads do help.

looks good, I´d like that black and white stencils...

k_sonn 08-24-2012 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: RalleKnalle

Hi Kirk,

had you probems with the dry transfers on that matt/flat surface? did you sand the suface before applying the transfers? sometimes it is tricky to apply the rub ons on very matt surfaces...sanding with scotch brite grey or 2000 grit soft sanding pads do help.

looks good, I&acute;d like that black and white stencils...
Hi Ralle,

I used Testor's Model Master flat enamel paint and the dry transfers are sticking to it with no problems. For years I've used the other well know masks and dry transfers, but after using your producton two projects, you have a customer for life.

Kirk

k_sonn 03-12-2013 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't worked on the L-39 in a while so it was time to dust it off and get crankin on it.

Photos 1 &amp; 2: Made some air tank mounts out of light ply and hysoled them in place.

Photos 3 &amp; 4: The forward equipment tray was made up. I made it so the nose retract and brake air tank air lines could be disconnected in order to remove the tray.

Photo 5: The forward equipment tray and air tanks installed .

Photo 6: The battery tray was made up of from a carbon fiber honeycomb sandwich material. Photo shows the battery tray installed.

Kirk

k_sonn 03-22-2013 10:04 AM

I was going to update this thread but since I can't post photos, I guess that isn't going to happen. The update can be viewed on the RCJetAddiction site.

Kirk