RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10016814-c-arf-ultra-flash-build-thread-video.html)

Dave Wilshere 06-26-2011 10:25 PM

RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

With a P-120SX it's a little better than a Super Bandit fitted with the same turbine

Dave

flyboymd 06-27-2011 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bird Strike this past weekend - first for me. I smacked a barn sparrow at 199.99 MPH and I don't think he saw me coming.. Crazy- part of the bird splattered all over the outside of the intake and the rest went in... The part that went in the intake hit my Super Eagle's FOD screen and put a dent in it then must have went between the Turbine case and the bypass and out the tailpipe.... Those watching thought I lost something off the plane but it was the remains of the bird apparently. Just when I think I've seen it all I discover I have not!!!

Mike

flyboymd 06-27-2011 04:26 PM

Now I have a question that has been covered in other forums on the original flash but I'm going to ask it in here for the UF fliers. How do you land this plane without bouncing it. It just wants to keep flying no matter what I do to get it on the ground. Really struggling and it's starting to mess with me why I can't nail these landings without anything from a small bouce to some terrible bounces that I am surprised the gear even survives(I will say this plane it one tough cookie so far) I fly off a faily flat 550ft grass strip.. We fly serval other turbines off this field and do not see this- my previous turbine(Scropion) I didn't have this problem at all. I have my CG about perfect - maybe a tad nose heavy if at all. I have 4in full landing flap as per instructions- dialed in down mix so when I deploy plane doesn't balloon on me. I come in on final nose down- hardly any power. When I get close to field I apply little power and raise nose enought to see belly slightly. Rear wheels touch and no sooner then when I touch nose gear down I get a bouce and she tries to fly again... Sometimes this has gotten violent. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or how to slow it any more but any adise anyone can offer would be great as I'm running out of ideas....

Thanks!

Mike

AFTERBURNER1 06-27-2011 05:16 PM

:eek:

Program some crow into it.. It will slow down to a crawl..

Dave Wilshere 06-28-2011 12:06 AM

NO! CROW does not work on this wing.
You don't need to add any power to get the nose up, I come in (our strip 300') depending on the wind strength, some wind, 1/3 stick position on power and 30-40' before the threshold, I chop the power completely with the model level or fractionally nose high. In no wind, I'm off the power 100' before the threshold and at 50' and I basically use the height to come to the strip. We have a hard edge and crop around us, so you have to be on the strip. If it's boucing you are touching down with too much flying speed, you can hold the UF off for an age and still have enough to flare. There is a video early on this thread with some landings in a cross wind on our strip

If I get my a**s in gear I'll fly the P-80 UF this coming week and get some video of a "raw" aeroplane

Dave

ddlstang 07-01-2011 04:28 AM

FYI, the UF gear won't fit in the classic Flash wing without "extensive" trimming. It's ashamed too, because the struts are really nice.

Anyone need a set of UF struts, great for your conversion.

Dave Wilshere 07-01-2011 07:36 AM

Dale

The UF gear and struts do fit, it's exactly what has been in my Classic Flash for 4+ years. You do have to trim the junction between the wheel opening and leg channel and you need to straighten the leg. The notch where the spring cross stud fits is designed to made deeper to straighten the leg. You will need to go so that the set screw sits around halfway into the notch

regards

Dave

mtnflyer14 07-01-2011 08:37 AM

The notch where the spring cross stud fits is designed to made deeper to straighten the leg.
Dale, a 5/32 inch chain saw file is perfect to file the notch deeper.
Regards,
Gus

ddlstang 07-01-2011 11:34 AM

That can be done easily in my mill with a ball end-mill. I was afraid that you would adversly affect the swing arm affect if you changed that angle too much. About how much di you take out.of the slot, did it affect the function of the strut at all.

Thanks

Dave Wilshere 07-01-2011 12:09 PM

Mill or a course 3/32 round file is fine, not everyone has a machine shop available. If you make the slot 5/64 deep its about right, no adverse affect on the leg, my set have a few hundred flights on them

Dw

ddlstang 07-01-2011 03:37 PM

Done, thanks for the advice. The Pro-links have a set screw and are adjustable, makes it easy, would be easy for these to be modified from the factory to make them adjustable as well.

AFTERBURNER1 07-01-2011 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

NO! CROW does not work on this wing.
You don't need to add any power to get the nose up, I come in (our strip 300') depending on the wind strength, some wind, 1/3 stick position on power and 30-40' before the threshold, I chop the power completely with the model level or fractionally nose high. In no wind, I'm off the power 100' before the threshold and at 50' and I basically use the height to come to the strip. We have a hard edge and crop around us, so you have to be on the strip. If it's boucing you are touching down with too much flying speed, you can hold the UF off for an age and still have enough to flare. There is a video early on this thread with some landings in a cross wind on our strip

If I get my a**s in gear I'll fly the P-80 UF this coming week and get some video of a ''raw'' aeroplane

Dave
I test flew a friends UF with crow and it was fantastic!!!! Slows down to a crawl.

gooseF22 07-01-2011 06:29 PM

The maiden is tomorrow on the CF to UF Tbird conversion. I had to redrill the carbon pins in the wing and tail to get the wing to align. I used the old wing and tail as a template. I had to waller out the tail bolt holes a bit and put a big washer on the tail. I got the wing bolt holes to line up by a slight enlargement, once the pins aligned.

As far as CG, I left the Fuselage alone and did the cg and it was 1.5 inches too far forward as I expected and said before. I had a 5000 MAH lipo in the nose on the CF setup. I now have a 2200 MAH mounted right in front of the intake, below the cockpit. I was able to get it to 8.25 inches, so its a tiny bit forward. Its light on the nose like it was before when you bounce the gear, so I feel that I got it close. I taxied it around and shook it down today, so we are ready. It has a Projet Wren 160 in it, but its turned down to 25Lb or so.

So.... after all this time.. its ready.. pics later...

Its setup with 1.1 inch flap and 1mm down elevator for takeoff, and 3.25 inches Flap and 4mm down elevator for Landing, no crow. I will mix the gear/elevator at the field. I like em to fly hands off with flaps down and no gear, so it takes another mix.. not a problem... I have my kingcat set up that way... its fun to come by flaps down just crawling..

here we go!!

causeitflies 07-01-2011 09:00 PM

Good luck Goose [8D]

gooseF22 07-04-2011 06:12 PM

Successful Maiden.
I asked Sean Saddler to fly it. we put 1mm down on t/o and 4mm on landing and its wasn't enough. It needs more. It slows down nicely with the big flap.

The UF is quite a bit faster and will cruise on 1/2 throttle and still move out. I had the motor turned down to 25lb, and it doesn't need that much. We had to be real conservative with the overcast and the white color, so it was just a few 180+ passes. I was really impressed on how fast it was, and how different it flew than the CF. Its a completely different plane. We only got one flight in this time.. more to follow. Its a very impressive aircraft, and it lands much more docile..

sc0tt 07-09-2011 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finallyflew my UFyesterday &it was awesome - basically flies exactly like my Ultra Lightning.
I'm using a P120se with no reduction in thrust or use of low idle for landing. CG and throws/expo pretty much as Dave. However, like Goose said it does need a little more down elev with full flap. It slows to a crawl, very easy to land with no need for crow.
For worry free ops and grass field durability, I'm using Dreamworks Taurus retracts with Behotec's struts, wheels brakes (similar to my UL). Even made a direct steering bracket. Equipment board is a little busy with the winghook-ups running in, but it came out ok.Now I just need tofine tune some mixes and it will be perfect.

Great flying jet, just like the UL.

...Scott

PaulD 07-09-2011 07:15 AM

Wow, I sure like that direct steering nose gear set-up. Hate the cables I had on mine. Got them to work o.k. just really prefer the direct set-up.

PaulD

Dave Wilshere 07-09-2011 08:00 AM

Scott

Congrats. The elevator thing is very difficult to measure as a few percent on the radio makes all the difference.

PaulD. Talk with John at MAP, he devised a direct steering set up for his Flash that works great.

I use cables and have no issues, but I do silicon the cables to the steering arms (gear in down position) and that is the crucial thing-stopping the cable rotating on the arms. No rubber bands needed.

Dw

AFTERBURNER1 07-09-2011 06:57 PM

Back to the crow debate.....

Good or bad????

Colin Allen 07-10-2011 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My new UF just arrived. It's a custom version of the standard Flash Thunderbirds scheme, which I have custom decals being made up for. This is just a trial fit of the major bits straight out of the box. It looks awesome, and I cant wait to get started on it!

Cheers,
Colin

mtnflyer14 07-10-2011 05:06 AM

I don't know about 'good' or 'bad', but I fly at 6500' MSL here in Colorado and do not use crow on the UF, but do have it on my Bobcat.
Regards,
Gus

wojtek 07-10-2011 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Back to the crow debate.....

Good or bad????

i think for a lot of people its a matter of personal ability / preference /particular aircraft...

I like personally like crow on anything that floats on at landing , i prefer the heavier feeling feeling for landings. I just set a crow mix into a slider on the TX ,and see if i like it , or how much ... from there i just moe the mix with the desired offsets to the flap switch .

~V~

Rob Howarth 07-10-2011 10:04 AM

I now have 23 flights on my UF and in that time have experimented with obatining a good 'landing' set up. After much trial I have settled on the following set up. 3" flap, 4mm of crow and removal of nose gear door. The removal of the nose door is beacuse I could get a good attitude established with full flap and crow yet as soon as the gear was down the nose would 'shovel' down - removing the door gave a very acceptable attitude. The airplane, in landing mode, now sits just right and once established on finals with a small amount of alpha the desent can be adjusted with small amounts of power without upsetting the attitude.

I have now taken to being fully configured on the downwing leg and flying a curved approach. The airplane now has no nasty habits and is a joy to operate in the circuit.

Just my opinion after spending many flights experimenting. All in all an excellent sports machine and with a 120SX it is very well powered.

Rob

Dave Wilshere 07-10-2011 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Elvington today just after a rain shower late in the day before I left...no issues calm or wind....

Ali 07-10-2011 10:46 AM

Somehow it all worked out that I ended up with two Ultra Flashes arrive at the same time. I had the Yellow one custom built, and the silver one came up for sale ready to fly, and was too good a deal to turn down.
One is powered by a Jet cat P120 Se and the other by a modified Jet Cat 160 SX. What an improvement over the standard flash the ultra is. All round it just feels so much smoother, [precise and locked in. I only managed a few flights before I went away to kentucky, so have not had enough time to mix out and set the model up fully as I would like. What I did find that running too much flap didnt work out how I liked it. The model seemed to reach a speed where it stopped flying and would dump down on the gear. Less flap allowed it to carry on flying till the very end.
I have not tired a crow set up yet, but will do so. The black and silver one is set up on a DX8, and I cant remember if I plugged both ailerons into a separate channel as yet, but will soon find out. If not I will try crow out on the yellow hot rod!
One thing that I found the model really benefitted from was 20- 25% Aileron differential. Running the same movement up and down on each aileron I found that the rolls were just off axial, and when rolling into a turn the model would drop more than I expected. By reducing the downward movement on each aileron I found that the model became noticeable more axial in the rolls ( Especially fast rolls) and kept a more constant height when banked.
I am really looking forward to getting lots of flights in on these new toys. Although i think I might struggle to prize the silver/ black one away from the team members hands, as so far Stevo is settling down quickly with this as his new favourite jet!
Regards Al

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_3540.jpg