RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10016814-c-arf-ultra-flash-build-thread-video.html)

husafreak 10-30-2012 08:13 AM

RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I am beginning my research so I can purchase an Ultra Flash and make good choices. Ali already made some recommendations for me concerning motor choices, but I narrowed it down to somewhere between a Jetcat P100 to P140 will do it I think. I want a smoke system for sure. So I will go back and read the whole thread but my reasons for choosing the Ultra Flash are great aerobatic performance, reasonable size, economical, tough, popular, and I didn't want to deal with a scale jet for my first turbine. BTW the Pinnacle Jet colors are awesome! That is my only problem with the Flash, ugly (to me) color schemes ;)

InboundLZ 10-30-2012 11:22 AM

To the two guys that lost their Flashes, I lost mine a week or so back so I feel your pain.... It was a mid-air between myself and my flying buddy...he lost his Ultra Flash too! Was a very expensive morning! I had 381 flights on my flash over the last 18 months and she was a great ship...I will be replacing her as soon as I am able....I am seriously considering doing mine up like Pinnacle's cammo scheme when I do....

PaulD 10-30-2012 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

To the two guys that lost their Flashes, I lost mine a week or so back so I feel your pain.... It was a mid-air between myself and my flying buddy...he lost his Ultra Flash too! Was a very expensive morning! I had 381 flights on my flash over the last 18 months and she was a great ship...I will be replacing her as soon as I am able....I am seriously considering doing mine up like Pinnacle's cammo scheme when I do....
Sorry to hear about the mid-air loss(es).

I gotta say though, it would take me 5 or more years to put that many flights on any airframe. We just don't have the weather or the facilities to support this. So try to consider yourself lucky!

PaulD

izzy 10-31-2012 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK after breaking my head on this , i just cant find a solution , so anyone jump in

setting up the flaps is a PITA , i know its been discussed somewhere on page 56 , but i cant get the servo to sit without stress /slight binding at no flap position
see pics - the flap without any linkage of any sort sits aprox 10mm down flap ( even when wing is upside down , the flap itself wont drop under its own weight ) if i push down on it , cant find anything binding it , but it just pushes itself back up ( when upside down )

this is true for both wings ( left and right) ,
did anyone else have the same issue ?

Dave Wilshere 10-31-2012 11:54 PM

Izzy

Could just be the new live hinge being under stress. By binding are you saying servo humm/buzz? or do you feel any catching/rubbing?
My flap servos hum a little, but if you put a servo current meter on them (like Hanger 9 unit) the current is very low and in flight the load is taken off (so like measure the current with the wing upside down)
How much force do you need to pull the flap square?

At full flap does the lower wing surface show any movement? ie maybe a gentle clean on the lower hinge line with a 3mm dia round file to clean the glass more (most likely need either end of the flap)

Dave

izzy 11-01-2012 03:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Izzy

Could just be the new live hinge being under stress. By binding are you saying servo humm/buzz? or do you feel any catching/rubbing?
My flap servos hum a little, but if you put a servo current meter on them (like Hanger 9 unit) the current is very low and in flight the load is taken off (so like measure the current with the wing upside down)
How much force do you need to pull the flap square?

At full flap does the lower wing surface show any movement? ie maybe a gentle clean on the lower hinge line with a 3mm dia round file to clean the glass more (most likely need either end of the flap)

Dave
Dave hi
always there when i need you !!!! - thanks
not much force to get it straight , but it always bounces back

since i am working with the wing upside down , , the flap shuld want to straighten , so thats what bothered me is that it stays aprox 10-12mm down even under gravity (when upside down)
also i looked everywhere to see if its touching anything , and all seems pretty right
there is nothing to clean on the hinge line as the hingle line is on top, and the flap goes down
the servo does humm , and if i releive the pressue say 4mm down flap , then it stops

stevekott 11-02-2012 03:46 PM

One Word ... WOW!! Gorgeous Model.

ORIGINAL: Pinnacle Aviation

All done apart from fitting a pilot

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...be7d8f32e4.jpg

essendon_05 11-03-2012 12:59 AM

I didnt like the UF flap servo mounting, so i mounted the aileron servo as per instructions then made up ply mounts to mount the Flap servos on the inside of the top wing skin... Perfect geometry, no slop. No problems.... Can get better access to the hatch with only disconnecting the aileron clevis.

Dave Wilshere 11-03-2012 01:11 AM

Izzy

The hinge material is below the glass finish surface, the factory cut the flap out and clean the hinge line you see. If there is still tension across the surface the flap will bounce back. With the geometry we have the minor humming you have is unlikely to be an issue, but it would be nice to have no load. Have you tried taking the flap to 90 degrees+? If not a pass across the dark line on the lower surface with a small round file might help...

Dave

IFlyEm35 11-03-2012 05:45 PM

Hey Dave,

I have my throws set to your setup that you posted earlier in this thread. Are you running and flight modes or dual rates?

Thanks!

Mike

IFlyEm35 11-04-2012 05:42 PM

Well got everything pretty much done and was about to finish the canopy. That's when I realized the the dang guide tube is broken right inside the nose. [:@][:@][:@]

Not sure how I am going to get to that without tearing a hole in the bottom of the fuse.

Dave Wilshere 11-04-2012 11:58 PM

Izzy

I don't fly any rates or modes. I set the overal travel to give me what I want in roll rate and pitch response and I use Expo to smooth out the middle. My UF is super smooth full flap or no flap, elevator is smooth even with 40+% expo..and JR servos ;)

If you can't get your hand it to realign the tube before repair, you can just drill each end and replace the 3mm od tube.

Dave

basimpsn 11-05-2012 04:39 AM

That's when I realized the the dang guide tube is broken right inside the nose.
Had the same problem when I remove the rod all the way out. I just push my hand inside the nose and straighten the tube while pushing the rod until it went through ;)

tp777fo 11-05-2012 04:59 AM

I slow down my servo speeds on aileron and elevator to help smooth out the inputs. Works nicely. Learned it from a pattern flyer.

Mavrik! 11-06-2012 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

I slow down my servo speeds on aileron and elevator to help smooth out the inputs. Works nicely. Learned it from a pattern flyer.
Is the effect not the same as expo?

Mav

BaldEagel 11-06-2012 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Is the effect not the same as expo?

Mav
No its not slowing down the servo's slows the operating speed over the whole range of its movement, expo puts a curve on the control input to make it less sensitive around the center point, but the speed of operation remains the same, i.e. bang the stick over and the response is at the operational speed of the servo, if you slow the servo you will get to the end of the stick travel way before the servo does, not a good idea in my opinion.

I can't imagine any pattern flyer using servo slow on the ailerons and elevator, but expo yes.

Servo slow is for things like elevator trim when you put down the flaps or bringing in reflex ailerons.

Mike

tp777fo 11-06-2012 06:54 AM

Smoothes out the little twitches...try it..you'll like it. Guys comment about my flash all the time about how smooth it is.

IFlyEm35 11-06-2012 07:03 AM

What speed are you running?

Dave Wilshere 11-06-2012 08:24 AM

MMmmmm April 1st? Err nope...As I said before I have flown the same Hawks one with 8715 .11 sec servos and one with 8411 .19 sec servos on the same radio menu and it felt the same...guess I just have smooth moving fingers!

tp777fo 11-06-2012 09:01 AM

When I get home I will post the speed. Doing that work thing for a couple of days.

IFlyEm35 11-14-2012 07:42 PM

Got my maiden in today! For the most part it went good. Anytime you can bring the model home in one piece it's a victory right? ;)

I ended up needing 4 clicks of left aileron and 8 clicks of down elevator. Then it was hands off. In the air it was great. The only thing I felt was that the throw I have are way too slow.

I am using Rudder - Low Rate - 35mm (1.3 in) / High Rate - 50mm (2 in)

Elevator - Low Rate +/-6mm (0.25 in) / High Rate +/- 11mm (0.4 in)

Aileron - Low Rate +/- 8mm (0.3 in) / High Rate +/- 12mm (0.5 in) dd

Flap - Take Off - 28mm (1.1 in) / Landing - 75mm (3 in)

Down Elevator - Take Off - 3.5mm (0.15 in) / Landing - 5.5mm (0.25 in)

Crow (with Full Flap) - 5mm (0.2in)

I will be increasing the ailerons and elevator for landing.

The only other thing that needs to be addressed is HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS SQUIRRELLY ON THE GROUND. Aparently I am using WAY TOO MUCH nosewheel throw or I need to put a gyro on it. I don't have many planes that once you get them into the air the hard part is over! [X(]

How much nosewheel deflection are you guys using for takeoff???

InboundLZ 11-14-2012 10:18 PM

What nose tire/wheel you using? They way I had mine set up is with flaps up I had a good amount of nose steering travel, with flaps half or flu down I had a greatly reduced amount of travel. This will help but if you are using the stock hard rubber wheel on the nose you will see huge gains in controlability if you change the tire/wheel to something softer like a BVM tire.

IFlyEm35 11-14-2012 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

What nose tire/wheel you using? They way I had mine set up is with flaps up I had a good amount of nose steering travel, with flaps half or flu down I had a greatly reduced amount of travel. This will help but if you are using the stock hard rubber wheel on the nose you will see huge gains in controlability if you change the tire/wheel to something softer like a BVM tire.

Good info. I am using the stock wheel. I have the throw reduced to 40% and 60 expo at takeoff flaps.

Thanks!

IFlyEm35 11-14-2012 10:27 PM

Never did get around to posting some pics. So here they are:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...481280x960.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...441280x960.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...IT1280x960.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...971280x960.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...02960x1280.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...951280x960.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...911280x960.jpg

Dave Wilshere 11-14-2012 10:51 PM

Mike

Keep an eye on your tygon to Festo joints, I don't like the mix of imperial and metric. I know it works, but it is not ideal. The tygon is too large and too soft to really work.

I'm glad you went for that scheme though, don't see enough!!

regards

Dave