RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Time to lay down until the feeling passes again....... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10071697-time-lay-down-until-feeling-passes-again.html)

Ron101 09-28-2011 05:02 PM

RE: Time to lay down until the feeling passes again.......

You're right, if you want to fly a BVM F-86 on a budget, it may be cheaper to do it EDF
Jets and budget..... two words you don't see often together :D

causeitflies 09-28-2011 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron101

I don't know what kind of fuel tanks and pipes you're referring to. Fuel tanks go from about $.10 to $100.00 and pipes a few hundred at most. The price of kero is very high now but with oil 5 gal still only costs me about $25.
Klean Strip the cheapest I could find is $43 bucks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM2379281702

Aero Shell $12. 50

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/shell500.php

Add tax your at $60 bucks

I also get frustrated when turbine guys don't add in the cost of fuel for there rigs, but with EDF it's always brought up. As Kirk mentioned there is also packs that are 1/3 the cost and can work well.
I have a mix of good packs and cheap.... some of my cheap hobby king packs have done as well as my expensive Thunder Powers

I still hold Thunder Power and Hyperion as the bench mark, very good packs, and very hard to beat Thunder Powers 2 year warranty and 50% off if you crash your packs. Try to get half off your kerosene the next time you crash :D

I have nothing against turbines at all and had one in fact, but just fell in love with electric power and do get tired of the bashing EDF get here in RCU. Most of the bashing is done by guys that really don't know much about E power or have done it.

Ron,
Kero at the pump is $4/gal. That's really high around here. DTE lite oil is about $4/qt. So about $25 for 5 gal. So where you live really determines what you pay for goods and goodies.
I would be all over EDF if there were no turbines.

k_sonn 09-28-2011 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: causeitflies
Ron,
Kero at the pump is $4/gal. That's really high around here. DTE lite oil is about $4/qt. So about $25 for 5 gal. So where you live really determines what you pay for goods and goodies.
Do both Mark. I did for a while but recently decided to go 100% EDF. In fact, I'm about to put my last turbine (Jetcat Titan SE) up for sale for agood deal. If I hadn't gone all EDF, the Titan would have been a good power plant forthe BVMF-86http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

invertmast 09-28-2011 05:18 PM

You're right, if you want to fly a BVM F-86 on a budget, it may be cheaper to do it EDF
Jets and budget..... two words you don't see often together :D
especially with the letters BVM before them!

k_sonn 09-28-2011 05:23 PM

I have on order a BVM 80 inch F-86 kit that I will be building as an EDF. While these prices may not be reflective of what you are referring to, they are what I was referring to. By not purchasing the turbine installation and fuel tanks, I've practically purchased another set of batteries.
That's going to be one hell of a plane Kirk!! Can't wait to see what you do with it.... you picked a perfect plane. As you know the F-86 is by a long shot one of the best subjects for EDF, the ducting is a straight shot, it's a clean airframe that carries its energy well and has a nice big wing to carry the weight well

It's going to be amazing! Can't wait
Thanks Ron. The pressure is on me to build a subject that will score well in static because I know in the hands of the guy who will fly it, our flight scores should be pretty good. Yes, you are 100% correct in the reason why the F-86 was chosen.The F-86and the Mig 15 are probably the best airframes for converting to EDF because they are clean and retain engery very well.

causeitflies 09-28-2011 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Ron,
Do both Mark. I did for a while but recently decided to go 100% EDF. In fact, I'm about to put my last turbine (Jetcat Titan SE) up for sale for a good deal. If I hadn't gone all EDF, the Titan would have been a good power plant for the BVM F-86 [img][/img]

k_sonn,
Most, if not all, of my money will go toward turbines. I have loved jets since I was a little kid and built a jet engine when I was about twelve years old. It made a nice fire and burned very well but the Fire Dept. didn't even come... that time. [X(]

k_sonn 09-28-2011 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Ron,
Do both Mark. I did for a while but recently decided to go 100% EDF. In fact, I'm about to put my last turbine (Jetcat Titan SE) up for sale for agood deal. If I hadn't gone all EDF, the Titan would have been a good power plant forthe BVMF-86[img][/img]

k_sonn,
Most, if not all, of my money will go toward turbines. I have loved jets since I was a little kid and built a jet engine when I was about twelve years old. It made a nice fire and burned very well but the Fire Dept. didn't even come... that time. [X(]
That's cool Mark. Maybe one day we'll meet up at a jet meet. It'll be fun swapping stories.

Mike2735 09-28-2011 06:23 PM

I'll take all "old and unwanted" Ducted Fan parts. I'll pay the shipping.

Thanks.

Mike

rcguy59 09-28-2011 06:34 PM

Last time I was at Karl Hibbs' house, he had a SH*TLOAD of ICDF stuff still around.

Tim Redelman 09-28-2011 06:52 PM

NOW YOUR TALKING LGM!!!! Get a BVM Ultra Viper with flaps and ailerons Ala Tommy Dodgens old plane or a Maverick Pro. Or an Aggressor two or three! Make sure to use the BVM 91 and all the BVM accessories ! You'll actually enjoy it. I thought about making my Electra a Nitro powered bird. Still have a tailpipe that would fit I think. OOOOH would that engine sound good again. I always liked what all these guys are gonna ***** about. Tuning the engine on the fly all the mess. Yeah mess right. What in the tailpipe? I have a new 91 The last series fan and a lot of the goodies nessasary here. Do it baby! Oh yeah and like has been said they don't burn when they crash either. Just get another one. Not to mention you can get the stuff for 25 to 50 cents on the dollar of what we paid for it a few years ago. And is widely known the BVM stuff just works.

Tim Redelman 09-28-2011 06:55 PM

Sorry got me all excited I better go lay down too!

Tim

MetallicaJunkie 09-28-2011 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Every now and then I have this desire to have a ducted fan jet again. Not EDF, no no, that screaming, oily mess of a nitro ducted fan. I have a ducted fan A4, with an OS46, but there is this desire for a 90 size ducted fan that is recurring. Why is that!?!?!?!
Ugh, time to go lay down until the feeling passes again!
im not a RC jet guy...but i can kind of realte to how you feel, but im too weak and i fall for it

I have been flying RC since 92 or so and got into gassers a few years ago...i always tell myself im not gonna fly glow anymore, my days of cleaning up slime are over.... but i cant manage to fight the feeling off.... there are days when i dont feel like messing with one of my bigger planes and want to fly a carefree plane...i slap together a glow plane and fly stress free