RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jet flying in Raleigh-Durham, NC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10081108-jet-flying-raleigh-durham-nc.html)

tp777fo 10-20-2010 11:10 AM

Jet flying in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Wife is looking at a job in this area, any jet fields close enough to support my habit?

AnthonyW 10-20-2010 11:18 AM

RE: Jet flying in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Check out RDRC.
http://www.rd-rc.org/

North of Raleigh about 20 minutes- 300' paved with about another 100' runnoff on each end. Home of the Fly For Tots charity event.
Several jets at the club including kingcats, euro sports, boomerangs, electra's and other stuff.
Home the job works out.
Anthony

kdubose 10-20-2010 11:20 AM

Tom,
I haven't lived there in a while, so I don't know the latest, but there is action in the area and it is growing! I'm sure someone will chime in sooner or later.
-KD

tp777fo 10-20-2010 06:23 PM

Not looking good, searching shows only 1 300' paved runway in NC.... period. Come on guys tell me I can fly my heavies in NC, dont want to give up my Raptor and Mig21

meps 10-20-2010 08:46 PM

My club field is 700 ft well cut grass located in Fayetteville which is approximately 60 miles from Raleigh. I've flown a Yellow Aircraft Stingray, FEJ Rafale, Topgun Mig29 and Falcon 120 there with no problems. Some of the guys from other clubs have flown Kingcats, Bobcats and Euros as well.
Steve

AnthonyW 10-20-2010 09:27 PM

TP,
I will tell you that I have been flying jets since 1991 in NC and if you are looking for anything paved longer than 300' paved and a club field- "aint gonna happen". A few guys in the club started the "First in Flight Jet event" at the Wilson Industrial Airport Memorial Day Weekend, but other than that and the off and on chance you could fly off the closed runway at the Laurinburg/Maxton airport (2 hrs south) (& Rough) I cannot tell you of a regular paved runway to fly from in NC.

tp777fo 10-21-2010 05:36 PM

What about West Hickory...how long there?

meps 10-21-2010 09:07 PM

It's a 1000 ft. old drag strip. You have to take off from left to right ( it slopes down hill)and land right to left. It's very narrow also.
Steve

zonker123 10-21-2010 10:35 PM

We do have some decent grass fields in the area if your heavies can handle it. Lots of jet flying in the area but off of grass. Their are several of us however that are starting to attend the larger jet meets up/down the eastern seaboard. Build a sport jet for the grass and save your "heavies" to caravan with us during the flying season!

Take care
Mike

bcovish 10-21-2010 11:55 PM

Tell Robbie you're gonna miss her.;) You're not leavin' us.

rcand 10-23-2010 09:52 PM

I have the same problem, in about 1 year will be part time in the Asheville or Hendersonville area and looks like I will be switching to electric jets. there is a club and grass field there.

EDFJim 02-15-2013 06:00 AM

Any news on new paved runways in the area? Looking for more than 300 ft :)

AnthonyW 02-15-2013 09:30 AM

http://www.rd-rc.com/ RD-RC is still your best opertunity. Recently a Super Bandit with a P-200 was flown without issue. Plus plenty of smooth grass on each end.

CraigG 02-16-2013 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom,
Tell your wife to look for a job in Atlanta!

Craig

meps 02-16-2013 03:39 PM

Wow! That Georgia Jets field is the best field I've ever been to. It seems a lot of thought and planning went into the location and design of that field. Looking forward to attending Georgia Jets again. Does anyone know the dates yet?
Steve

CraigG 02-16-2013 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: meps

Wow! That Georgia Jets field is the best field I've ever been to. It seems a lot of thought and planning went into the location and design of that field. Looking forward to attending Georgia Jets again. Does anyone know the dates yet?
Steve
It's not "official" yet Steve but we usually hold Super Jet South on the last weekend in September. This year that would be Sept 26th - 29th.

Craig

meps 02-16-2013 07:18 PM

Thanks Craig. Looking forward to it.
Steve

tp777fo 02-17-2013 06:55 AM

Craig, this is an old post when we were looking for her a new job a couple of years ago. We are still in Greenville for the foreseeable future. Come on over and do some grass field flying with us.

CraigG 02-17-2013 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Craig, this is an old post when we were looking for her a new job a couple of years ago. We are still in Greenville for the foreseeable future. Come on over and do some grass field flying with us.
Guess I should have noticed the old date. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you're not moving again.