RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   The new Tornado sport jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10095724-new-tornado-sport-jet.html)

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 01:21 AM

RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Digital servo's are always looking for centre therefore are drawing power the whole time the Rx is on, whilst taxiing the amount of power being consumed is very high and any impact can overload the motor, an Analog servo can take that sort of abuse in its stride because its less efficient and can move about its command position without burning out the motor.

Mike

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 01:25 AM

Just in case any of you don't know, you should also set up your mix so that steering is switched off when the legs have retracted, save's power and also prevents the cables being turned back and forth and possibly fouling on something and preventing a normal down operation of the UC.

Mike

phantom_najd 01-28-2013 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Just in case any of you don't know, you should also set up your mix so that steering is switched off when the legs have retracted, save's power and also prevents the cables being turned back and forth and possibly fouling on something and preventing a normal down operation of the UC.

Mike
Thanks for the info on digital servos on steering.

Yeah switching off the mix while gears are retracted is important. It's also recommended to switch off the break mix while gears are retracted.

Azzam

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 01:48 AM

Yes switch the Brake's off in your mix as well.

Mike

aquaskiman 01-28-2013 05:59 AM

If using an air valve for your brakes, you can just hook the air in, on the brake valve, to the down airline coming off your retract valve. This way you only have to use one air tank. Simple and works great. Brakes are only on when gear are down. learned this from Ryan H

Gixxy 01-28-2013 06:04 AM

Rudder and Elevator need mini servo's 5645's will not fit, go back a few posts and do some reading for recommendations.

Don't use digital servo's on the steering, use an Analog MG servo.

Now days I would be looking at electric retracts not air or spring if I was having to buy new.

Mike
Ahhh yes yes I knew that I totally looked up the wrong servo. Any feelings on the 5245mg http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-524...ital_mini.html ?

I'll use my 8411's on eh wings and I'll definitely take your analog steerings servo into consideration.

I'll probably call Todd at DW and ask him if anything he has in stock would make a good electric replacement. I had thought about it but just didn't seem like there was much on the market yet for larger aircraft. I completely love the idea of plug and play retracts. Hopefully some decent E brakes start showing more to where we can just leave our air pumps at home :)

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 06:07 AM

Electric brakes available from GBRjets, I think Todd at Dreamworks can get them set up for you as they are made to order, have a look in this months RCJI there is an article all about them., Todd also does Electric retracts.

Mike

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 06:11 AM

Hitec 5245's should be fine if they fit, not sure on the bay size, I suggest you check.

Mike

EDIT: to add link: http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/elec...ue-p-2483.html

and this: http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/mode...bo-p-2533.html

Gixxy 01-28-2013 06:22 AM

Hmmm now you guys really have me thinking. http://shulmanaviation.com/product_i...oducts_id=2806

Also going to look into the Eretracts too.

I don't have anything against air. Thats all I've ever been use to using. But this is mean to to be a fun go fly hassle free jet. If I can skip buying electronic brake and retract valves and leave the air at home this just seems more and more fun :)

Thanks for the input so far.

Gixxy 01-28-2013 06:32 AM

Hitec 5245's should be fine if they fit, not sure on the bay size, I suggest you check.

Mike

EDIT: to add link: http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/elec...ue-p-2483.html

and this: http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/mode...bo-p-2533.html
Hmmm yeah those e retracts look badass, but the other point of the tornado for us is to keep the level of fun high and the level of cost low for a jet. I'm thinking I'll talk to todd about his package deal but see what they can do to swap the standard valves for electronic ones.

I hate this lol. I also start off with what seems like a simple plan then get excited about to many variations then I'm left wondering if the way I'm going with things is right or wrong ;D

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 08:07 AM

I know what you guys are going through, it worked out in the end that my retracts and struts cost more than the airframe, mind you that was some years ago.

Mike

EDIT: just looked it up, it was 2008.

737Driver 01-28-2013 09:42 AM

Gixxy

I'm going through the same build ideas that you are. I haven't even gotten to gear yet! Hell, I'm still debating link connection between servo and horn. Most likely it will be the pro-links, just much easier to adjust with a tiny wrench if need be. I really want to use this motor mount below, but it's to long by 3/4" for the V3. It just dresses up that part of the jet real nice like! I used the recommended servos from the build manual and they have fit like a champ. I've mounted all servos, just have to mount gear when I get that, and motor and electronics package. I like that gear failsafe item at Dreamworks, if you go pnuematic that is. Welcome to the build!!

http://www.a-lmotorsports.com/Produc...ne-mounts.aspx

Tom

txshan130 01-28-2013 09:51 AM

Not exactly sure... but be careful buying the gear listed as V3 Tornado gear if you have the newer Red/White or Blue/Yellow scheme...I was under the impression that the new versions (can we just call them V4 already?) used the gear with the shorter strut (F86 gear) as compared to the original longer Tornado struts. I have no idea at this point which model the Dreamworks gear fits in. It is also my understanding that the older Spring Air gear struts can NOT be retrofitted to the newest version Tornado...

Would anybody like to clear this up? Henry? Todd?

Thx....

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 10:00 AM

Good point, the origins of this airframe as we all know was a prop driven pusher jet, this meant long UC legs to give prop clearance, the wheel well was close to the root of the wing, looking at the pics of the V4 they do look as though the wheel well has been moved inboard to get away from the spindly looking long undercarriage of the previous versions.

Mike

jonkoppisch 01-28-2013 11:25 AM

Curious about the servos as well

Troybuilt lists analogs

4 - Mini servos with a minimum of 65oz torque for Empennage (HS-225 or HS-5245 digital)
5 - Standard size servos with a minimum of 120oz torque for Ailerons, Flaps and Nose wheel steering (HS-645, HS-985 or HS-5625 digital)

Modelbau lists digitals

3. 4- Digital Mini servos for Empennage ( Hitec HS 5245MG )
4. 5- Standard size servos ( Hitec HS 5645MG ) Ailerons,Flaps and
Nose wheel steering

What servos does everyone think is the best value $ wise for the tornado?

Tower has a special $25 off an order but it takes them a week to get around to shipping...

BaldEagel 01-28-2013 01:43 PM

Go back one page, read and digest.

Mike

Heliman4213 01-28-2013 05:39 PM

Ok Henry I need a Blue and Yellow one. Keep me up to date when they are available so I can get one!!!!!!!

Dieselman1220 01-28-2013 05:55 PM

Airtronics 94820 is what I used on my tail work great fit perfect

noahb 01-28-2013 06:20 PM

On the newest version, does anyone know which dreamworks gear set actually fit? Is it the length of the struts that are in question, or what?

noahb 01-28-2013 06:30 PM

also, do you recommend the dreamworks over the spring air units?

Modellbau USA 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

Hey guys I'm have a very important update on stock. We are about a month away from Florida Jets and from the looks of things we most likely will be sold out before Florida Jets. We are selling around 5-7 kits a day and after sorting through this new container looks like we will be out. If anybody was waiting to purchase at Florida Jets please place an order now and I will be glad to bring the kits with me to deliver to you there or I can ship it to you now. I thought I would have suffient stock but the sale that has been running for a free airplane lf you buy a turbine really has gone well.

<br type="_moz" />

Heliman4213 01-28-2013 06:51 PM

Do you have the Blue and Yellow?

Modellbau USA 01-28-2013 06:56 PM

Yes I do. I have the Blue and Yellow sport Scheme and about 10 Blue Navy Trainer schemes. Those will go fast so first come first serve. I also have the red / white sport scheme but those are not available for the turbine offer because of the high demand of that color scheme.

Heliman4213 01-28-2013 07:01 PM

Ok I want a Blue And Yellow. I will have my accountant call on Wednesday as he is out until then and I'm tied up. That is great so add that one for me thanks. Can't wait to get a second one.

david robinson 01-28-2013 07:03 PM

I agree Pay pal sent Henry I will take 2 of the blue navy schemes. Awesome