RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   The new Tornado sport jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10095724-new-tornado-sport-jet.html)

essyou35 11-05-2011 12:42 PM

RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Do you guys think some coiled piano wire struts would be good and just a mechanical brake?  I dont want to spend the $ on the retracts for a temp jet.</p>

Dr Honda 11-05-2011 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: skydve76

Do you guys think some coiled piano wire struts would be good and just a mechanical brake? I dont want to spend the $ on the retracts for a temp jet.</p>

I tried to fly my falcon with wire legs, and they bent on the first attempts of flight. I wound up making a nice nose wheel strut, and my mains are bent aluminum gear. It makes it much easier to transport, and set-up at the field. If you decide to put on aluminum gear... you will need to glue in a block for the bolts to go into.

A single nose wheel brake won't hold it very well. If you put wire gear, or bent aluminum gear on... I can sell you some inexpensive brakes. Also, if you want some cheap aluminum blocks that will bolt into the main gear mounts to allow wire legs... let me know. I made a set, and didn't use them.

I did it this way because I didn't want to deal with retracts on my "Trainer" jet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/PA081579.jpg

Brakes for hex axles (Shock Jet style)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/PA051574.jpg

Brakes for wire gear (3/16")

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/P9211544.jpg

KC36330 11-05-2011 02:34 PM

My Reaction 54 has wire struts in the retracts and an electric brake on nose wheel, works just fine with no problems at all.

rpat 11-05-2011 03:06 PM

Hey Dr Honda it's Rich from Weirton. How have you been? Have you come down to the arcs lately?

Dr Honda 11-05-2011 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rpat

Hey Dr Honda it's Rich from Weirton. How have you been? Have you come down to the arcs lately?

I'm planning on being out there tomorrow by 11:30 or so. Is your Tornado done? I've got my waiver now, so I can be the second signature if you come out.

rpat 11-05-2011 07:36 PM

No it's not done yet. I had to wait on some parts to come in, and I went flying today and I will be tied up tomorrow.Glad to hear that you got your waver.

essyou35 11-05-2011 08:55 PM

Hey guys, since this is my first turbine help me out here.  I am gong to purchase this from troy built models along with the gear/tire package.  I found a UAT(bubbless tank) to go with it.

TBMs pricing for the servos package is way off.  I can also make my own extensions anyways.    That package is worth less than $300.

They want $315 for the gears and brakes/tires.  Is that the best deal out there?

Please recommend a brake valve, what else do I need?  I am running a k-80

juliboy 11-06-2011 01:14 PM

Hello,
Where can I find these electric brakes. who is the manufacturer.
Thank you.

dmscpu 11-06-2011 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: juliboy

Hello,
Thank you.

?????????

What ones are you talking about????
The ones on the Tornado are air operated.

Mike

juliboy 11-06-2011 01:59 PM

I am speaking of that KC36330 mentioned here.
Thanks!

KC36330 11-06-2011 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: juliboy

Hello,
Thank you.

[link=http://www.btemodels.com/r54brakepkg.html]Bruce Tharpe[/link]

juliboy 11-06-2011 03:11 PM

Thanks!

r 3 11-06-2011 04:12 PM

lenhard2007 11-06-2011 05:17 PM

my first jet, with 20+ winds. this is the maiden video, nothing radical just simple flight plan. the front strut gave in because my steering wires were too tight<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA31D4tdzxg&amp;feature=player_detailpage" >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA31D4tdzxg&amp;feature=player_detailpage</a>

Dblex 11-06-2011 05:44 PM

my first jet, with 20+ winds. this is the maiden video, nothing radical just simple flight plan. the front strut gave in because my steering wires were too tight
Looks like you did 4 hinges in the ailerons? did you seal the gaps? looks like you used the wide pin hinges that came with the kit? I did too, just curious if any of you sealed them??

lenhard2007 11-06-2011 06:19 PM

i didnt seal the gaps really no need

DrYankum 11-08-2011 10:39 AM

To those who have balanced the Tornado with the scale. How did you establish level after putting the nose gear on the scale. Did you just get the fuse measurement on the bottom the same front and back. Without plans, it's hard to determine where the thrust line is to get it level. Almost looks if the flat bottom of the boom is parallel to the thrust line. Could I just put a level on the bottom of the boom and block up the mains til the bottom of the boom is level?

Kenrico 11-08-2011 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: DrYankum

To those who have balanced the Tornado with the scale. How did you establish level after putting the nose gear on the scale. Did you just get the fuse measurement on the bottom the same front and back. Without plans, it's hard to determine where the thrust line is to get it level. Almost looks if the flat bottom of the boom is parallel to the thrust line. Could I just put a level on the bottom of the boom and block up the mains til the bottom of the boom is level?
Just put the main gear the same height as the nose gear(scale), that's how I did mines and it worked perfect. Because of the desing of the gear the Tornado has a nose high attitude when on level ground. Once all 3 gears are the same heigh your good.

KC36330 11-08-2011 10:55 AM

balancing via the weight on the nose wheel is NOT practical in RC models, the AUW differences is too large a percentage from one jet to the next for this to be effective.

DrYankum 11-08-2011 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

ORIGINAL: DrYankum

Just put the main gear the same height as the nose gear(scale), that's how I did mines and it worked perfect. Because of the desing of the gear the Tornado has a nose high attitude when on level ground. Once all 3 gears are the same heigh your good.
Duh...don't know why i was making it more difficult than it was...overthinking it I think. Thanks

DrYankum 11-08-2011 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

balancing via the weight on the nose wheel is NOT practical in RC models, the AUW differences is too large a percentage from one jet to the next for this to be effective.
That may be so, generally. but Henry knows this model, and 1.5 lbs on the nose wheel works

lenhard2007 11-08-2011 02:18 PM

i agree, henry knows his own model and unless your using an ultra tiny uat,no their is no difference, they hold the same amount of fuel. i balanced it the way henry said and my model flew great for the first time and in 20+ winds dont belive me look at the video i have up

KC36330 11-08-2011 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: lenhard2007

i agree, henry knows his own model and unless your using an ultra tiny uat,no their is no difference, they hold the same amount of fuel. i balanced it the way henry said and my model flew great for the first time and in 20+ winds dont belive me look at the video i have up

not to bust your bubble but there is a few lbs difference in the Tornado's because of the installation of different equipment/turbines, fuel load has nothing at all to do with it, that's a difference of 15% in dry weight. now as far as your maiden flight video, the flag in the background clearly shows they weren't 20+ winds but more along the lines of 5-10...........although the Tornado does fly extremely well in 20+ winds.

lenhard2007 11-09-2011 07:16 AM

sir, they werent even close to 10mph winds. if you watch one of the fly bys and see the flag, its straight out and looks like its about to come off. also if you listen, when i was on approach the wind really kicked in to well above 20. we had a digital wind speed tool that one of the very experinced jet guys had out thier and even said this is windy and the readings off of it were 20+ even before take off. now when i took off i had a little break from the wind but that was only brief.
on the video look at 3:15-3:25 and in the lowerright u can see the flag, its hard i know because of video quality but u can see how the flag is about to come off because the of wind

Dr Honda 11-09-2011 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: lenhard2007

I won't make a comment on the winds... but KC36330 is right. In a real aircraft, we do the CG by weight... but we use the weight at all 3 landing gear. NOW... if you use Modellbau's exact set up (engine, mount, landing gear, tanks, servos, etc)... then the weight method on just the nose is OK. But, as soon as you use a different turbine, or even use landing gear with a different bend in them... that can change the weight on the landing gear, and not actually change the CG. This is a light model... it's easy enough to just jack it up on it's CG, and see what it does. Also... if you use the weight method... you have to make sure the wing centerline is level. If it's high, or low... that will change the weight on the front leg.

I've seen dry weights from 14 to 21 Lbs... on the Falcon/Tornado... so that would drastically change the weight on the front leg. Mine sits at 17Lb 6oz dry, and just for giggles... later today, I will post my nose gear weight.