RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Trainer Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10150862-trainer-jet.html)

Jetfan20 11-21-2010 10:41 PM

Trainer Jet

Hi to all.

What would you guys recommend as a first turbine trainer? Bobcat, Shokjet or Boomerang XL or if there is something else out there please do tell.

Thanks Ty

STKNRUD 11-21-2010 11:07 PM

RE: Trainer Jet

Boomerang Elan.

FILE IFR 11-21-2010 11:23 PM

Reaction X ARF.

You're in the air quickly after opening the box and you'll have a super tough time finding someone that says it's not worth it.

It's easy to fly... It's so easy, a retarded monkey can fly it... just like this monkey is doing in the video :D. Speed range was shot with a radar gun 22 MPH to 142 MPH

Jet is at 1:20 and 3:30

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsDMZ5VTJw[/youtube]

seflyer 11-21-2010 11:44 PM

any of the above would be good, the Shokjet has a bad habit of being difficult to get out of a spin, have about 200 flights on mine, the Reaction arf is a great plane to fly very forgiving and a very wide speed envelope, around 125 flights on this then sold. a Bobcat or Boomer are both great choices, never owned either of those but have seen many fly and appear to be great to learn on.

Kevin

SinCityJets 11-21-2010 11:56 PM

Boomer Elan or a Reaction ARF. The ShockJet is NOT a good jet trainer. It IS a good Trainer plane that is jet powered. It will not prepare you for advanced aircraft.

Chad

Molar mender 11-22-2010 12:01 AM

Depends on the size of the engine your starting with. My first engine was a 12 lb PST and I had it in the AV8R for three years. That engine was upgraded to 14 lbs and has been in both a Reaction 54 (built up) and a Shock Jet for the last 4-5 years. During that same time I bought the PST 1300R at 28 lbs and I put it in a Boomerang XL in 2005. Just last Aug, I swapped out the 1300R and put in the Jet Central Rhino in my Big Boomer which is still going strong. The Rhino makes the Boomer a whole new jet to fly. There is also the Reaction ARF, Facet, Turbinator, BobCat, Elan, Boomerang Intro, Sprint, Torus to name a few. I personally enjoy my Boomer now, especially with the big block for push.
Just choose the size of engine you want, pick an appropriate airframe and go fly. They all fly well, except for the Shock Jet due to it's spin, so you really can't go wrong.

Roy

bukeym 11-22-2010 02:54 AM

A good choice can also be Velox from Feibao Jets.

petera38 11-22-2010 06:58 AM

Hi Guys,

I´d be very happy if someone could help me to get a set of plans for the wooden version of Bruce Tharpe´s Reaction...? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif
I think it could be a lot of fun to build it from scratch in these ARF times.

/Pete

BaldEagel 11-22-2010 07:53 AM

So many variables in this question, experience, size of turbine as already said, type of field you are going to fly from etc, etc, if you want something simple and will fly off anything have a look at the Mick Reeves Super Reaper, its a delta and its a kit, can be fitted with a fixed UC so can be set up so simply, if going for the Boomer range I would go for the Sprint over the Elan or XL it fly's much nicer is fully aerobatic and can land as slow as you like, just don't get the US scheme if you are over 45 years old and your eye's are a bit off, grey against a grey sky is not good for slightly off eyesight. :D

Mike

Stobe777 11-22-2010 08:03 AM

I don´t think the Elan and the Velox are at all in the same cathegory in this...The Elan is by far more forgiving model to land, for instance. I absolutely love my Elan, not a scratch after 80 flights this summer-that tells you something, doesn´t it...:D
Tuomas

bruno borges 11-22-2010 08:14 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en" class="long_text"><span title="" yc="Hello," xc="Ol&aacute;," closure_uid_oeyzy5="63" style="background-color: #e6ecf9; color: #000">Hello,

</span><span title="" yc="I started flying in the jet are already two months. " xc="Eu iniciei no voo a jato j&aacute; fazem dois meses." closure_uid_oeyzy5="64">I started flying in the jet are already two months. </span><span title="" yc="I'm flying a Bobcat with a turbine JetCat P-80, I advise you get this jet because he is very docile and easy to fly out that he is a very nice jet." xc="Eu estou voando um Bobcat com uma turbina Jetcat P-80, eu te aconselho pegar esse jato, pois ele &eacute; muito d&oacute;cil e facil de voar, fora que ele &eacute; um jato muito bonito." closure_uid_oeyzy5="65">I'm flying a Bobcat with a turbine JetCat P-80, I advise you get this jet because he is very docile and easy to fly out that he is a very nice jet.
</span><span title="" yc="Take a look at this video I made flying the Bobcat." xc="De uma olhada nesse v&iacute;deo que eu fiz voando o Bobcat." closure_uid_oeyzy5="66">Take a look at this video I made flying the Bobcat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_dIeRBjrkk

Bruno</span></span>

racer8297 11-22-2010 12:24 PM

Reaction kit or Reaction ARF.

Jim

jetguy34695 11-22-2010 12:38 PM

Boomerang Elan or BVM bobcat if you want a plane that flys like a high wing prop trainer plane then get the shokjet but you really want to learn how to fly a jet stay away from it

STKNRUD 11-22-2010 01:09 PM

Bobcat vs Elan....

Elan has 84" wingspan vs 66" on Bobcat. Larger is better when learning or if you are age impaired like me.
Elan is $1,295 vs $2,595 on Bobcat. Keep in mind you will most likely have at least some learning "incidents" and there is a direct relationship between nerves and wallet.

The Bobcat is much finer quality fit and finish....no comparison. For starters, you won't get kero stains on the belly or surface cracks on the Bobcat as you will on the Elan.

George

Xairflyer 11-22-2010 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

The Bobcat is much finer quality fit and finish....no comparison. For starters, you won't get kero stains on the belly or surface cracks on the Bobcat as you will on the Elan.

George
At half the price you can handle the stains!

Boomerangs should be mandatory for a first jet, you just cant fault them, takes the flying bit out of the equation.
Bobcat can be too fast for a first jet.

STKNRUD 11-22-2010 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

George
At half the price you can handle the stains!

Boomerangs should be mandatory for a first jet, you just cant fault them, takes the flying bit out of the equation.
Bobcat can be too fast for a first jet.

I agree. The Elan was my recommendation from the start but it is better than an XL as a first jet...I did both.

George

bigplumbs 11-22-2010 05:00 PM

How many times has this question been asked on these forum's

Dennis

STKNRUD 11-22-2010 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Dennis
Who cares? He is a newcomer.

George

zacharyR 11-22-2010 06:58 PM

Trainer Jet just sounds like two oppsets to me ?

rcand 11-22-2010 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Jetfan20

Hi to all.

What would you guys recommend as a first turbine trainer? Bobcat, Shokjet or Boomerang XL or if there is something else out there please do tell.

Thanks Ty
Eurofighter

doug l 11-22-2010 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Dennis
OK..how many ???????????????

and how many times have you asked your question on these forums ??????

igorcar 11-22-2010 08:18 PM

Go with the best,

Shui`s ARF Turbinator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRFUJBUjEA)

Regards

Igor Carballal

FILE IFR 11-22-2010 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

Trainer Jet just sounds like two oppsets to me ?

I can't tell if your post is a statement or a question. If it's a question, how does the term 'Entry Level Jet' sound to you?

hooker53 11-22-2010 08:24 PM

The closest I can get ya on a trainer with the landing characteristics of a Shok Jet and the flight Inv of a jet is a CT-114. It will land slow (if set up right) and fly fast. Like Zach said above, "Trainer" is a loaded subject. What might be a trainer in one flyers mind might not be in another. My first turbine model was a Shok Jet. My next after that will be and is a CT-114.

Mitchell-RCU 11-22-2010 09:14 PM

You can't go wrong with BVM. Get the bobcat. And as for the reply that bigger is better then get the Kingcat.

Mitchell

Mike06659 11-22-2010 09:33 PM

If I had to start over I would go with the new Tornado. Priced great and looks good for a twin boom

http://www.modellbauusa.com/Tornado.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=692480

chris1971 11-22-2010 10:03 PM

I vote for a boomerang! i have 89 flights on my Sprint and love the way it flies. There is a learning curve between gas/glow and turbine aircraft. My boomer has helped me get through that curve. It is tough and made of wood so it's easy to repair just like all the airplanes you are used to flying. Check out the Sprint build thread on here. There are lots of pages to go through but no one really has any bad things to say about it.

Chris

chris1971 11-22-2010 10:18 PM

I forgot, Troy Built sells the DV8R and I've flown the kit version and it is a great first jet also.

Chris

RAPPTOR 11-23-2010 04:46 AM

:D i asked about a short feild,easy entry level jet .. got lots of suggestions. if you dont mind building,maybe turbinator. or get the arf from shui.. i think it is a good choice . low cost,no special gear. you can repair it yourself. im useing it to get my waiver.

Pepperpete 11-23-2010 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike06659

If I had to start over I would go with the new Tornado. Priced great and looks good for a twin boom

http://www.modellbauusa.com/Tornado.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=692480
I couldn't agree more. I've been flying a Falcon 120 (same thing really as the Tornado) and it's by far the easiest and sturdiest jet I've ever flown for the price. Landings are beyond easy (to the point that they are almost too simple) and the plane moves along great. Can't beat the price.

Robrow 11-23-2010 07:31 AM

Excluding some scale jets I think flying most jets can be relatively easy, it's the landing and sometimes the take off that can provide the challenge and when most of the damage is done. Optimal approach height/speed judgement is the key and that usually only comes with experience. There are a number of jets that have to be slowed below a critical speed before the wheels touch terra firma to avoid the dreaded bounce unless you have a super smooth greaser of a landing.

A jet that is easy to land may not be the ideal model that prepares you for the next step up more critical to land jet.

Just some food for thought.

Rob.

pbusa1400 11-23-2010 07:53 AM

Turbine version Electra would be my choice. Besides if you live in Apopka its a no brainer to go with a manufacture thats in your backyard

Pablo

Mike06659 11-23-2010 08:38 PM

Still for the money you can't beat the Tornado and JetCat P-60 for $2450. That's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just can't be beat. It's what I would call a "Game Changer" in the Jet Market.

Jetfan20 11-23-2010 11:31 PM

Thanks to all the responses, so many choices...I do believe the boomerang Elan would be the most suitable without breaking the bank. I haven't found a price or any information on the Turbinator. They seem like a nice plane to learn on....

aeh 11-24-2010 03:41 AM

Check out the Discovery Jet (by D Sarpolus) plans available from airagestore. Simple construction. See thread on rcgroups

Cheers

A