RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   BVM F-4 Nose Gear Air Strut (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10408231-bvm-f-4-nose-gear-air-strut.html)

WHMC 03-18-2011 12:56 PM

BVM F-4 Nose Gear Air Strut

Anyone know how to install the drag link/cyl assy.? Does the mounting bar need to rotate or be stationary? The link assy seems to interfear with the nose door cyl/mount? Clueless in STL. Any info appreciated. Thanks whmc

DavidR 03-18-2011 01:20 PM

RE: BVM F-4 Nose Gear Air Strut

Wayno

Nothing rotates on the F-4 nose gear. There should be a little piece of flat aluminum stock that mounts to the side of the retract unit. There is a collar on the nose gear leg that the fake cylinder bolts to then you bolt the other end to the flat stock.....or just leave the da mn thing off! It does look cool but the nose gear is a very tight fit in the gear well. If you have the inflating strut you have to make sure the strut is extended and stays extended or you will have problems. You'll love the plane, it flies great and is still the premium F-FO out there, thinking I might knock the dust off mine, jam an engine back in it and fly it this summer.

DR

WhoDaMan 03-18-2011 02:18 PM

Hi Dave good to see you back on here, can you explain how to set it up to raise the nose on the radio, any secrets

Dave
Quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Wayno

Nothing rotates on the F-4 nose gear. There should be a little piece of flat aluminum stock that mounts to the side of the retract unit. There is a collar on the nose gear leg that the fake cylinder bolts to then you bolt the other end to the flat stock.....or just leave the da mn thing off! It does look cool but the nose gear is a very tight fit in the gear well. If you have the inflating strut you have to make sure the strut is extended and stays extended or you will have problems. You'll love the plane, it flies great and is still the premium F-FO out there, thinking I might knock the dust off mine, jam an engine back in it and fly it this summer.

DR

f106jax 03-18-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Hi Dave good to see you back on here, can you explain how to set it up to raise the nose on the radio, any secrets

Dave
Quote:

Wayno

DR

Dave,

I previously had an extendable nose strut on my BVM F-4 and currently have one on my Skymaster F-4. For both applications, I mix the strut air valve with the throttle. The nose strut extends when the throttle is at 60%. This permits taxiing with the strut collapsed. Looks cool when you're at the end of the runway, take off flaps down, brakes locked, and begin throttle up for takeoff, the strut extends, release the brakes and off you go. :D

WhoDaMan 03-18-2011 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike:
Sweet setup Thank you for that
I have the matrix for my Jet Legend F-4 that I just got done, I will setup like yours

Dave
Quote:

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Dave
Quote:

Wayno

DR

Dave,

I previously had an extendable nose strut on my BVM F-4 and currently have one on my Skymaster F-4. For both applications, I mix the strut air valve with the throttle. The nose strut extends when the throttle is at 60%. This permits taxiing with the strut collapsed. Looks cool when you're at the end of the runway, take off flaps down, brakes locked, and begin throttle up for takeoff, the strut extends, release the brakes and off you go. :D

Kelly Rohrbach 03-18-2011 03:36 PM

Whmc
Send me a PM with your E-mail and I can send you a picture of how it goes, I have three of them going into the BVM F4

christrump 03-18-2011 06:01 PM

Are these struts still available somewhere for the BVM F-4? I would love to fit one to mine.

Chris

f106jax 03-18-2011 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

ORIGINAL: christrump

Are these struts still available somewhere for the BVM F-4? I would love to fit one to mine.

Chris

Chris,

Yes, John at Matrix Machine still makes them. Super quality! Here's the link to the F-4 struts. http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id14.html

This is a pic of my F-4 strut compressed. Will look for one that shows it extended. Picture credit - Mitchell Photography.

christrump 03-18-2011 06:40 PM

Thanks Mike!

Kelly Rohrbach 03-18-2011 07:09 PM

The strut make the F4 look sooooooo cool setting on the ground with out the take off AOA.

Kelly Rohrbach 03-18-2011 07:18 PM

What I plan to do is put in a cross brace that may have a small flat surface at a shallow angle(like a ramp) so when the nose gear retracts the wheels have to be on the aft side of the cross brace to go into the well. That will make sure the strut is fully extended and will keep it extended during flight. Also if the strut is not extended after takeoff the wheels will hit the cross brace and not allow the strut scissors to damage the fuse or get stuck in the fuse when trying to drop the gear for landing. This will also be handy when working in the pit and you retract the gear but forget to extend the strut first.
Kelly

DavidR 03-18-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

What I plan to do is put in a cross brace that may have a small flat surface at a shallow angle(like a ramp) so when the nose gear retracts the wheels have to be on the aft side of the cross brace to go into the well. That will make sure the strut is fully extended and will keep it extended during flight. Also if the strut is not extended after takeoff the wheels will hit the cross brace and not allow the strut scissors to damage the fuse or get stuck in the fuse when trying to drop the gear for landing. This will also be handy when working in the pit and you retract the gear but forget to extend the strut first.
Kelly
Kelly I have hundreds of flights on mine and never had a problem with it retracting in flight. I did a similar mix to what mike did so that taxiing the nose stayed down but when you throttled up the nose raised up. It is very important that you don't try to take off with it down, at least on the BVM F4 the low AOA will make for an interesting high speed taxi run that will never rotate......you can guess how I know this.....now y'all definitely have me wanting to knock the dust off mine.

Mike you remember hot laps at Superman with the F4's, it think that was the year mine flamed out on my gear pass! That's one airplane you always need an exit strategy with for sure. It definitely made me a better pilot.

DR

f106jax 03-19-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

Kelly
Kelly I have hundreds of flights on mine and never had a problem with it retracting in flight. I did a similar mix to what mike did so that taxiing the nose stayed down but when you throttled up the nose raised up. It is very important that you don't try to take off with it down, at least on the BVM F4 the low AOA will make for an interesting high speed taxi run that will never rotate......you can guess how I know this.....now y'all definitely have me wanting to knock the dust off mine.

Mike you remember hot laps at Superman with the F4's, it think that was the year mine flamed out on my gear pass! That's one airplane you always need an exit strategy with for sure. It definitely made me a better pilot.

DR
Hey David,

I think that we had 4 or 5 of the Rhinos up together! Made for a great show. Flying the BVM Phantom always saved me money.....never had to go to the cardiologist. The first 10 flights were a stress test.

christrump 05-28-2011 04:58 PM

Guys, I've mixed the strut with throttle for take off. Do you leave the strut extended for landing or do you let the air out when the gear is down? I could mix it to sink back down when I pull the chute. What do you think?

Thanks,
Chris

David Gladwin 05-28-2011 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My experience, for what its worth !

I use a separate channel to control the strut which has its own air supply. I set the pressure to be just slightly more than required to inflate the strut when the model is full of fuel. I extend it as soon as I start taxiiing. That way, there is some shock absorbing by the strut which, if collapsed has NO flexibility as the gear is bolted rigidly to the two wood and C/F bearers. I land with the strut extended then collapse it at the end of the taxi, again, shock absorbing during taxi. .An O ring placed around the strut will give a very little, but better than no, shock absorbing when the leg is collapsed. Must get mine airborne again soon after its refurb. Know the feeling about the cardioligist !

Endorse the quality comments and my thanks to John at Matrix for the new O rings sealing the leg.

Mine is modelled on the J F4 and has a slotted scale stab. Looks great but makes NO difference to the handling.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Heres the strut in action, gear just starting to travel.

christrump 05-28-2011 05:57 PM

David, I was going to tap into the brakes for air but, had considered a dedicated air supply and for the reasons you mentioned I may do just that. As for when to extend..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmLx...eature=related

Mine's a C, no slotted stab.....Killing lots of time on the cockpit though which dosn't make it fly better either!

Thanks,
Chris

THEREALMATRIX 05-28-2011 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: WHMC

Anyone know how to install the drag link/cyl assy.? Does the mounting bar need to rotate or be stationary? The link assy seems to interfear with the nose door cyl/mount? Clueless in STL. Any info appreciated. Thanks whmc
It should assemble as shown in this photo.

WhoDaMan 05-31-2011 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guy's
Matrix finished my gear,
I want to thank you all for helping me learn how to set them up

Dave