RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   The New F86D Dog Sabre (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10447441-new-f86d-dog-sabre.html)

Modellbau USA 04-06-2011 02:41 PM

The New F86D Dog Sabre

1 Attachment(s)
Modellbau USA and Troy Built Models would like to introduce the New F86D Dog Saber. It is constructed of a Composite Fuselage, Fully Sheeted built up wings and tail surfaces. It has a 63" WIng Span and is built for a 12lb - 18lb thrust Turbine ( JetCat P60, King Tech K80 or Jet Central Bee II ). Its flying characteristics are excellent we have gotten speeds on our factory prototype of 180 MPH but it slows down to 20 MPH for landing. For those who have flown our Tornado the landing characteristics are the same. It flies like a rocket and lands like a trainer.

The ARF kit comes with Installed Spring Air retracts, Dual Composite Fuel Tanks, Dual walled stainless steel thrust pipe, composite control horns and hardware. All decals are factory installed and Spring Air struts wheels and brakes are available directly from Modellbau USA or Troy Built Models.

We would also like to announce the grand opening of Modellbau Brazil. Headquarters are in Sao Paulo Brazil and all of our Models, Turbines, and UAV products can be purchased directly there if you are in South America. Leonardo Oliveira is the General Manger of Modellbau BR and can be contacted at [email protected]

Price for the F86D is $760
Price for Struts Wheels and Brakes is $275.00

The pictures are of our factory Demo that we are currently building we will have more pictures and video of a flight as soon as we can
<br type="_moz" />

causeitflies 04-06-2011 03:20 PM

RE: The New F86D Dog Sabre

Henry,
What scale is the "Saber Dog" and will drop tanks be available? How about a cockpit?

Modellbau USA 04-06-2011 06:13 PM

The Dog is 1:6 scale approx give or take and it will come with wing tanks so not to worry. At this time we do not have a cockpit but we are working on it.

david robinson 04-06-2011 06:18 PM

Very nice I cant wait to see how it looks complete. I purchased your Tornado as my first turbine and I am doing very well with it. Do you think this will be a good second Jet? I feel very comfortable flying it and I really like the fact that you guys have been so helpfulthrough my baby steps.

Modellbau USA 04-06-2011 06:24 PM

well it was a pleasure helping in every way we can. As a matter of fact it would be a great second jet. The airplane has the same type of wing design so landing is a breeze. But on the other hand it can perform very well and it is a blast to fly. It lands very slow and is very well suited for any type of pilot new or very experienced.

747junky 04-06-2011 06:31 PM

Looks very nice and the price is great, will the king tech be a good match for this bird? Also is Derrick Martin making the tanks for this airplane as well?

Modellbau USA 04-06-2011 06:38 PM

Yes the King Tech would be Perfect for this airplane. We are currently building 2 planes one with a P60 and one with a K80. Barry from King Tech will also be selling all of our kits via the King Tech Web Site as well. As soon as the plane is on the market we will be offering specials for turbine and airplane packages.

Just incase anybody was wondering the airplane will come completely painted and all the decals will be like the picture. The only reason that we have them in Gel Coat was to check the quality prior to painting of the production models

causeitflies 04-06-2011 06:47 PM

I'll be interested in the performance with the P60 as I have one that hasn't seen action in a few years. Hope to see some video soon.

marquisvns 04-06-2011 07:35 PM

Congrats with the launch Henry, F-86D is certainly unique and beautiful, couldn't wait to fly one myself! (obviously with a K-80E burning diesel :D )

Barry

rcguy59 04-06-2011 07:50 PM

What's the projected dry weight with a P-70-sized turbine? Also, what's the fuel capacity?

skyhawknut 04-06-2011 10:55 PM

NICE!

About time a D showed up. Ever since Byron went out of business - there hasn't been anything available. I like the price too.

I'd do one as an EDF - How much does it weigh? and could I get one without the turbine gear?

Xairflyer 04-07-2011 03:26 AM

I see some nice panel detail, I thought going by some other well know names that you had to spend $3000 to get that :D

Modellbau USA 04-07-2011 03:59 AM

The flying weight of the plane dry is approx 15.5 lb with the K80, P70 size turbine. When we started the project it was designed for a P60 but after putting a K80 in one of our Tornado's I was very impressed with the reliability and power of the engine so we decided to put it in the DOG and Im glad we did because it flies incredible. We are currently making the fuel tanks and they should be approx 90 oz total capacity. The prototype had 111 oz tanks and I though it was not necessary since I flew almost 14 minutes on that with my P60. Delivery time for the airplane along with the new Tornados looks like the end of June we were trying to get them by early June but we had to delay it a little so I could make an extra 100 airplanes for Modellbau Brazil.

erbroens 04-07-2011 06:15 AM

Great to hear this,

best of luck guys and hope to see plenty of your stuff this place. Kingtech seems to be a fine engine!

Enrique

Vincent 04-07-2011 08:05 AM

Henry,
Recently a club member started flying a Tornado with a P-70. It flys fast and lands very slowly with full flaps, great combo. The Sabre looks like it will do the same but look like scale jet as well. Does the Sabre use the same gear and struts as the Tornado??
Thanks,
Vin...

rcjets12 04-07-2011 08:51 AM

Henry if you are starting a list please put me down for one.

Jose

ira d 04-07-2011 09:50 AM

How about wing removal are there screws on the wings or do you have to access them from inside the fuselage?

Modellbau USA 04-07-2011 10:44 AM

Actually the F86D uses a very similar airfoil it was designed to land very slow for short field ops. The wings are held in place by 2 screws one in each wing that is accessed from inside the fuselage. There is tons of space so it is very easy to disassemble. The F86D has a customs set of Struts that are made by spring air so the Tornado Struts will fit the retracts but the length will be off.

I will be starting a pre-order list in about 2-3 weeks so please keep tuned to this thread for info.<br type="_moz" />

lookilook 04-07-2011 11:04 AM

Henry will you have a dealer in this year's jetpower meeting in Gemany so we can see and buy there?
meeting is on september 16-19.

rcguy59 04-07-2011 02:27 PM

Thanks, Henry. This is looking better and better...

Modellbau USA 04-07-2011 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well at this time we do not have any dealers in the UK and Europe. I am looking for possible dealers but not very aggressively because I am planning to purchase a warehouse in Northern Italy to stock all of our kits, turbines and accessories for distribution.

Here are some more pics of the inside of the model. The engine is mounted just rear of the wing and is accessed through a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage. The retract servo and nose wheel servo are the only ones in the fuselage main compartment. The rudder,L stabilizer and R stabilizer servo's are on its respective surface. Each wing has 1 standard size servo for AIL and 1 standard size servo for Flaps. The fuel tanks sit right on the CG so fuel burn during flight has no effect on flying characteristics.<br type="_moz" />

skyhawknut 04-07-2011 06:18 PM

You know.....I can't help but notice that your flying surfaces (wings, stabs, vertical) are erily similar to this:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/ne***saracoa.html

Same shape, construction and even servo mounting.

A copy? Maybe inspired by the video?

In any case - I like the new fuse you made.

karl hibbs 04-07-2011 06:40 PM

Ya I noticed that to. imagine that swept back wings with servo pockets and landing gear mounts on a Sabre.

Modellbau USA 04-07-2011 06:55 PM

what are you talking about the pictures on that link have all the pushrods coming from inside the fuselage. There are not to many ways to make Saber flying surfaces to keep it as scale as possible. Our airplane has all the servo's mounted in the stab and rudder its self, and the servo's are mounted in the wing like that to make it easy to install. Just keeping it simple. Not sure what your trying to say or compare, because there really is nothing to compare sorry to say.<br type="_moz" />

747junky 04-07-2011 07:02 PM

I agree not sure what apples your comparing to oranges. The rudder and elevator are the same shape but so are FEJ,Skymaster and BVM thats why its a model of the F86D