RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Custom painting (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10695504-custom-painting.html)

Duncan 03-16-2012 05:46 AM

RE: Custom painting

wow !! This new Futura looks awesome

oversprayer 03-16-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks!! I just got it finished with the clearcoating. It turned out great. Iwill be getting some pics of it outside in the sun soon... NEXTwill be the large scale VIPERJET!!!

oversprayer 03-16-2012 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I got it cleared this morning and it has sat for a few hours so I can handle it now Not enough to put the wings on but you can get an idea of how it will look. I had this jet for about a week and a half and now I will start the buffing process. which I should have done in a couple of days. Hope you like!!!

killerG 03-16-2012 07:39 PM

Ok, I have a question for you home painters. Do you just paint it in your garage, or do you have some kind of paint booth? Reason I ask is that I am going to try and attempt to do my first paint job on a BVM Bobcat XL in the next month.
Thanks

oversprayer 03-18-2012 11:31 AM

I do my painting from home. and i have alot of ventilation and I have created my 25x25 steel building into a positive pressure filtered air booth. there is only an Intake fan with large filters and then my exhaust (which doesnt have a fan has filtration as well as the outgoing air gets directed into a trough of water to collect any un filtered paint still in the exhaust air. This makes my painting more neighbor friendly. LOL.

furloughed ual 03-18-2012 01:14 PM

From a guy who paints flats and military colors, explain the buffing process. Dont need a novel, just a quick down and dirty on it. I've always wondered what it involved.

oversprayer 03-18-2012 06:25 PM

No matter what you will always have a certain amount orange peel in your clear coat or even the highend single stages that are buffable. so what the basic idea is to flatten the surface then buff it to a shine. The wayI do it is by using 800 first to flatten tape lines and then 1500-2000-3000 and then use a compund and high speed buffer.

oversprayer 03-18-2012 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some other types of artwork and designs that could easily transfer to any of the aircraft.

AndyAndrews 03-18-2012 07:12 PM

Dude you are seriously talented. Nice stuff!

ColinJ 03-18-2012 10:58 PM

And there I was pleased that I had stuck a couple of bits of Vinyl on some servo covers</p>

3dean 03-18-2012 11:09 PM

awesome !

oversprayer 03-19-2012 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much for the comments!!! Thats pretty funny about the vinyl on your servos!! here is some more examples of my work sorry there not jets. But RC boats has been veryy good to me. But I absoluetly love painting these large jets. I have a couple of other jets coming soon.

oversprayer 03-23-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, Here are some pics of the whole scheme together and buffed out. Been working on other projects so it has been a little bit to get the time to post. Thanks again for all the nice comments!!!

oversprayer 03-23-2012 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a couple more

[email protected] 03-24-2012 07:05 AM

WOW IT CHANGED THE HOLE LOOK OF THE FUTURA MAKES ME WANT ONE NOW

oversprayer 03-26-2012 05:25 PM

Thanks, The customer wanted something very bright and loud.</p>

Duncan 03-26-2012 09:44 PM

That's the first time a shallow canopy has looked good on a futura!! Congrats

marc s 03-26-2012 11:36 PM

Don't suppose you fancy re-locating to the UK ;)

marcs

oversprayer 03-27-2012 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!!for the nice comments!. And only if I can get season tickets for the rest of my life for Manchester United. LOL The customer picked up his Futura today and wasa very satisfied customer. It will be ready forthe Joe Nall show. So as promised here is my nextCanvas to paint on.A large scale viperjet from Tomahawk. I have some greatideas for this one!!I have alot of filling andmolding to do on this oneto make everything seamless. But heres what Iam starting with.

luckyy 04-23-2012 08:05 PM

Hope your charging that butt Nugget big money

RobinLeblond 04-24-2012 06:22 AM

Oversprayer,

First : WOW what a nice job !!!

May I ask a few questions (Because I did my first airbrush attempt last week, and it wasn’t as good as I wished… lol…
What kind of paint do you use (water, oil, acry)?
What kind of clear coat ?

And again, wow, you really have an impressive talent!

oversprayer 04-26-2012 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so it has been awhile since I posted about the start of the large tomahawk Viper jet but here it is in the process as well as some other paintjobs that I was working on in the process.

oversprayer 04-26-2012 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

To many boats before the jet. lol here it is after doing all the seam work and molding in the intakes and cutting and trimming all of the flight control areas to fit.</p>

oversprayer 04-26-2012 03:16 PM

I will get some of it all asembled soon. these pics are before buffing.

schroedm 04-26-2012 03:22 PM

dddddddaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn! You work fast and well!!!!

Let's see some pics of it all together :D

Out of interest, what would a job like that cost? Ball park or PM me the figure if you'd rather not say on the open forum.

Regards,
Mark