RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Custom painting (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10695504-custom-painting.html)

oversprayer 08-31-2011 01:26 PM

Custom painting

Hey everyone I just wanted to show some of my paint work. Ipaint RC boats and aircraft These are my first two jets.

oversprayer 08-31-2011 01:30 PM

RE: Custom painting

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are.

gunradd 08-31-2011 01:32 PM

That is fantastic work!

WhoDaMan 08-31-2011 01:50 PM

Stunning work,,,, fromthe side it looks like a killer whale would fit the profile, kinda has a nose like one

ORIGINAL: oversprayer

Here they are.

ianober 08-31-2011 02:07 PM

Very nice, good looking schemes.

Ali 08-31-2011 02:39 PM

Superb work. Out of interest.. How much would a scheme such as that set someone back?
Regards Al

rbean2 08-31-2011 03:51 PM

Real nice work. Do you do any artwork with airbrush? If so, got any pictures of that?

Richard

luckyy 08-31-2011 04:23 PM

Doug thanks for the killer paint job

vetagator 08-31-2011 05:00 PM

Absolutely awesome. I wish you would of done 2 different paint schemes. Keep it up.

oversprayer 08-31-2011 05:41 PM

Yes Ihave done alot of airbrush art work, but mainly on motorcycles and cars. as far as the type of art work its very little in the forms of murals and things like that. If we could talk about what you have in mind Imay be able to do it. Its not that the ability isnt there its just I have always done this as a side hobby. And Graphics and flames and real fire and all of the automotive hotrodtypes of painting was where I was at, Then custom offshore boats caught myeye, Those are awesome Iwould love to paint aCigarette orSkater.So those types of paintjobs are where I have learned in over time.but now that Ino longer work at the space center It has now become my new place of employment lets say, because its not a job to me I love this stuff and its been something that I have wanted to do for a long time. Here is my website for you all to look at it has a variety of things that Ihave painted. I will be updating it soon with new boats and planes. Thanks Again everyone for the nice comments....Doug

oversprayer 08-31-2011 05:46 PM

It is oversprayer.com

InboundLZ 08-31-2011 09:16 PM

Very nice work...

What kills me is I have ALWAYS wanted to be able to do work like that....how did you learn this skill? I have tried and tried but I just dont seem to have what it takes and getting instruction is nearly impossible...

luckyy 09-01-2011 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Very nice work...

What kills me is I have ALWAYS wanted to be able to do work like that....how did you learn this skill? I have tried and tried but I just dont seem to have what it takes and getting instruction is nearly impossible...
Im with you, same for me

roger.alli 09-01-2011 03:57 PM

Nice work Overspray.

In Sydney there is company that offers instruction on Air Brushing. I would imagine there is similar in the US. I did a 2 day, then a 5 day night course. It taught me a few of the basics, but what it really taught me was how much there is to learn, and how much practice is required.

Roger

oversprayer 09-01-2011 05:05 PM

There really is alotthat can belearned and they do have airbrush classes but they are very exspensive and they onlyshowyou a few basic graphic methods in just a couple daysie skulls or flamesor true fire.I have never gone to one butknow someone who has.Butto meit starts with having an eye for the way that the colors are going toflow across the surface of what you are painting.I wouldnt know where to start but if you have a project that you are having problems with feel free to send me an email I will try to help you out.

SPLIT S 09-01-2011 06:11 PM

From one painter to another - Nice!

Dan

oversprayer 09-05-2011 05:15 AM

Thanks, They were fun to do. cant wait to see some knife edge passes.

oversprayer 03-15-2012 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest Paintjob on a futura. I have a Large Viper jet coming up next. I am prepping these two jets for the Joe Nall Event. You can PMme for a quote!!! Thanks!

oversprayer 03-15-2012 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more, I will get some clearcoated pictures up soon. I still have some details to go over here and there before then. The paints are all BASF and House of Kolor. Very durable and definetly every type of fuel resistant.

furloughed ual 03-15-2012 06:35 PM

Outstanding! How many hours would u estimate u spend doing that paint job not including the surface prep, just the actual paint work. I do quite a bit of painting...all warbirds in flats, never gloss on sport jets, though.

oversprayer 03-15-2012 06:41 PM

I have about 18 hours in the painting process. I epoxy primered it, then sealed it with white then the yellow went down then started the graphics. the blue color is a true candy paint. It is called Burple because it is a cross between blue and purple. Thanks for your comments!!!

furloughed ual 03-15-2012 07:01 PM

18 hrs including the masking? You work quick!

sideshow 03-15-2012 08:25 PM

That whole airbrushing/painting thing is, to me, one of those you have talent in....or not. Me? not. If you see the kind of work evident in this thread or Jeremy's work, or the guys who paint the bikes in American Choppers its obvious. I can barely paint a model in military colors where its supposed to look like *****.

Extraordinary work that I appreciate even more because there's no way I can do it.

ColinJ 03-15-2012 11:11 PM

Oh but for a skill like that

oversprayer 03-16-2012 05:02 AM

Thanks!! i will be clearcoating the futura this morning and I will get some pics in the sun hopefully in the next day or so.

Duncan 03-16-2012 05:46 AM

wow !! This new Futura looks awesome

oversprayer 03-16-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks!! I just got it finished with the clearcoating. It turned out great. Iwill be getting some pics of it outside in the sun soon... NEXTwill be the large scale VIPERJET!!!

oversprayer 03-16-2012 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I got it cleared this morning and it has sat for a few hours so I can handle it now Not enough to put the wings on but you can get an idea of how it will look. I had this jet for about a week and a half and now I will start the buffing process. which I should have done in a couple of days. Hope you like!!!

killerG 03-16-2012 07:39 PM

Ok, I have a question for you home painters. Do you just paint it in your garage, or do you have some kind of paint booth? Reason I ask is that I am going to try and attempt to do my first paint job on a BVM Bobcat XL in the next month.
Thanks

oversprayer 03-18-2012 11:31 AM

I do my painting from home. and i have alot of ventilation and I have created my 25x25 steel building into a positive pressure filtered air booth. there is only an Intake fan with large filters and then my exhaust (which doesnt have a fan has filtration as well as the outgoing air gets directed into a trough of water to collect any un filtered paint still in the exhaust air. This makes my painting more neighbor friendly. LOL.

furloughed ual 03-18-2012 01:14 PM

From a guy who paints flats and military colors, explain the buffing process. Dont need a novel, just a quick down and dirty on it. I've always wondered what it involved.

oversprayer 03-18-2012 06:25 PM

No matter what you will always have a certain amount orange peel in your clear coat or even the highend single stages that are buffable. so what the basic idea is to flatten the surface then buff it to a shine. The wayI do it is by using 800 first to flatten tape lines and then 1500-2000-3000 and then use a compund and high speed buffer.

oversprayer 03-18-2012 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some other types of artwork and designs that could easily transfer to any of the aircraft.

AndyAndrews 03-18-2012 07:12 PM

Dude you are seriously talented. Nice stuff!

ColinJ 03-18-2012 10:58 PM

And there I was pleased that I had stuck a couple of bits of Vinyl on some servo covers</p>

3dean 03-18-2012 11:09 PM

awesome !

oversprayer 03-19-2012 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much for the comments!!! Thats pretty funny about the vinyl on your servos!! here is some more examples of my work sorry there not jets. But RC boats has been veryy good to me. But I absoluetly love painting these large jets. I have a couple of other jets coming soon.

oversprayer 03-23-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, Here are some pics of the whole scheme together and buffed out. Been working on other projects so it has been a little bit to get the time to post. Thanks again for all the nice comments!!!

oversprayer 03-23-2012 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a couple more

[email protected] 03-24-2012 07:05 AM

WOW IT CHANGED THE HOLE LOOK OF THE FUTURA MAKES ME WANT ONE NOW