RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   How its made, Model turbine engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10707180-how-its-made-model-turbine-engine.html)

basimpsn 09-08-2011 07:46 AM

How its made, Model turbine engine

Big difference in how JETCAT assemble there engines cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jE-PXV-68

megafly 09-08-2011 07:58 AM

RE: How its made, Model turbine engine

Very cool!
Thanks.

Xairflyer 09-08-2011 09:07 AM

Excellent find, terminology is interesting, personal favourite is, threaded slot :D

Details of the balancing will confirm to some why there are grinding marks on the compressor wheel, that was discussed in another thread.

AndyAndrews 09-08-2011 09:11 AM

What is the big difference you mention though? Don't most do it basically the same way?

Xairflyer 09-08-2011 09:17 AM

There is also a video there on the manufacture of a BVM Ultra Bandit.
There is something wrong with the sound, but it can be heard faintly if you turn everything up full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVfUiR2WZWw&NR=1

basimpsn 09-08-2011 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

What is the big difference you mention though? Don't most do it basically the same way?
I remember watching Rei or albert back in RAM days, The outer casing, the tail cone and the starter cover was the last to be installed. But then again Jetcat uses a different type of fuel injector.

Excellent find, terminology is interesting,
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpVsGYSi9E

Couch Potato 09-08-2011 10:39 AM

Oh no, the secret's out of the bag !

Every man and his dog will me making miniature turbines now :D

Xairflyer 09-08-2011 10:57 AM

You will find in most turbines the case is what holds the NGV (stator plate in video) in the correct place so normally needs to be fitted before turbine itself.
This as well also allows bearing change with minimal stripping

wojtek 09-08-2011 12:43 PM

anyone notice the dude is bleeding all over the engine ?? lol ... is that the JetCat secret ??? should be red, not purple :D:D:D

~V~

basimpsn 09-08-2011 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: wojtek

anyone notice the dude is bleeding all over the engine ?? lol ... is that the JetCat secret ??? should be red, not purple :D:D:D

~V~
He also put a band aid at the end :D

KXH121 09-08-2011 04:21 PM

This short clip was pretty amazing. Too bad the turbine manufacturers don't make an informative DVD like this and package it with every turbine they sell. It would give you an Idea of what makes your engine do what it does. A short clip on setting fail safe, ecu operation and which way to orient fuel lines (follow the arrows) etc for those visual learners would complete the DVD. Just a stray rambling...............

FenderBean 09-08-2011 04:32 PM

wow super clip, one wonders why they cost so much with such a simple design [:-]

Xairflyer 09-08-2011 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: KXH121

This short clip was pretty amazing. Too bad the turbine manufacturers don't make an informative DVD like this and package it with every turbine they sell. It would give you an Idea of what makes your engine do what it does. A short clip on setting fail safe, ecu operation and which way to orient fuel lines (follow the arrows) etc for those visual learners would complete the DVD. Just a stray rambling...............
I believe this is what Hobbyking are planning to do with their new turbine.

GerKonig 09-08-2011 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: KXH121

I believe this is what Hobbyking are planning to do with their new turbine.

6 hours to manufacture @ $1.00 per hour (China's industrialized city average rate) brings the labor to $6.00... They already manufacture turbine components in China for the Germans. Yep, estimate a street price of less than $1500:-)

Gerry
(wishing out loud)

GSR 09-08-2011 05:42 PM

Once again guys. If your only going to sell 500 of them you cant get by making 20% profit on one. They also left out the pesky part about turning, grinding and treating the shaft, casting and working the NGV and wheel and CNCing the compressor. THere is also the part that is always left out called R&DOh yeah I forgot the chinese dont bother doing that part themselves. Scotty

John Redman 09-08-2011 06:09 PM

Hey Scotty,

Can you "like" a post on RCU? ;)

Good to see one person has a clue.

Tired Old Man 09-08-2011 06:59 PM

Anyone bought a multi axis CNC machine lately? Anyone undergone the training and experience required to accurately and efficiently operate one? It's a real serious investment. Then we have product liability insurance, which is something a reputable turbine shop will have to play CYA after a consumer does something stupid. Of course Hobby King, being remote in China, will likely circumvent that part of the consumer responsibility process.

Xairflyer 09-09-2011 02:10 AM

Hobbyking turbine thread here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10688032/tm.htm

Airplanes400 09-09-2011 09:40 AM

From what I can imagine the materials and labor should be @ $150

Sell a $2000 engine, deduct labor and materials of $150
Enjoy a profit of $1850 and take the rest of the week off.

Whan a $3600 engine is sold, then it's a party added to the week off.

But those CNC and router machines cost a bunch.

GSR 09-09-2011 10:44 AM

I give up. Scotty

RCJetBazz 09-09-2011 10:52 AM

How come every time Airplanes400 gets involve the thread dies :eek:

basimpsn 09-09-2011 10:53 AM

:)

RCJetBazz 09-09-2011 10:58 AM

but, but, he is SO official though, look at that emblem from the State Department [X(]

RCJetBazz 09-09-2011 11:02 AM

I bet O'bummer hired him :D

willig10 09-09-2011 12:58 PM

Just wanted to chime in here. The metals are the most expensive part of the turbine. I would think that the turbine side is using either inconnel or monel for the hot section and either aluminum or stainless for the compressor section.

The machining of these parts is tricky as well and more than likely done on a CNC machine with multi axis. Once programmed correctly the parts can be milled in a few hours.

A jet engine as simple as it seems is a very complex mechanism and with the RPM's they turn must be robust enough to handle the stress not only from heat but from vibration and centrifugal force. If inferior metals are used in it's construction the compressor side and turbine side are susceptible to creep. Basically what this does, is the blades tend to grow and will eventually contact the turbine or compressor case internally and will FOD the engine.

I don't know what China is using in their engines nor do I know what jetcat and others use. However the guys that have been around for awhile have a pretty decent track record. The jury is still out on the China product.

Profit aside for what the modeler is getting for around 2k to 5k is a bargain when it comes to model turbines.

On a business jet or airliner the minimum cost of 1 engine brand new is around $750,000 (Small turbine) and the last time I had to purchase an engine,a (CF-34 engine same one on the A-10 tank killer) that goes on a business jet (Challenger 601-605 models) cost around 2.5 million per side and cost anywhere from 250,000 to 1.2 million to overhaul.

Regards
Glenn Williams