RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skygate/CARF Viperjet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10759716-skygate-carf-viperjet.html)

siclick33 10-11-2011 07:43 AM

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

I see that the pre-order 'offer' for the CARF/Skygate Viper is shortly to be discontinued and wondered if anyone had any more info than what is on the website?

My number one question at this stage is 'are they going to produce winglets for it?'.

Assuming it is similar in weight/performance to the Skygate predecessor, will it go well on a Jetcat 140 or will it need a 160?

The news page says that the first model has been pulled from the new moulds. Does anyone have any sneaky pics?

Any other info that anyone has up their sleeve would be great.

Geoff White 10-11-2011 10:39 AM

RE: Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Darren,

At JP, I had a quick chat with Wolfgang Klur as he was prepping the green VJ for a demo and asked him if the winglets are going to be produced to which he replied no. Personally I think its a shame as I think it really finishes off the model.

Geoff.

siclick33 10-11-2011 11:12 AM

Geoff,

One of the reps is trying to find the definitive answer about the winglets for me. By the sound of it, they won't be on the first kits but may be an option in the future. If this is true then I am trying to find out if they ill be able to be fitted retrospectively. It will be a shame if C-ARF omit these details as Skygate offered tip tanks and winglets as options. I assume that means that C-ARF have the moulds for these parts so surely it can't be too difficult for them to produce. I can't have a Viper without winglets so I'm hoping they won't want to miss out on a 2500 Euro sale (+ gear) for the sake of a 70 Euro part;)

As an aside, is the P160SX now the P180RX? I can't find the P160SX on Jetcat Germany's website any more.

Geoff White 10-11-2011 11:24 AM

I am sure Ali or Dave will confirm but the P160sx is being replaced by the P180rx(in much the same way the P140rx replaced the P120sx). I am told it will be Jan 2012 before we will see them in the UK.

Ali 10-11-2011 11:38 AM

If C-arf don't make them, then I will. There is noway I am having a Viper without winglets. I have just been in a similar position with Paritech with their new 3.5M span Viper XL. I loved it at Jet Power, but I told them I wouldn't order one unless they promised me that winglets would be an option.... I have the man in place to make me up the moulds as soon as we can get our hands on a pair of Carf viper wings. The idea will be to make them so they slip on over the standard wingtips ( Much the same as the Tomahawk Futura Winglets)
Yes, the 180 RX is set to replace the 160 SX, and yes I have also been told January before they are on general release.
Regards Al

Geoff White 10-11-2011 11:42 AM

Ali, have you got any idea why they wouldn't make them? Seems a strange decision to me[:o]

Ali 10-11-2011 12:18 PM

I know that some years ago when I spoke with Stefan Volker, he thought the winglets caused some coupling between the rudder and roll in knife edge. A trade off that I am happy to make ( mix out ) for the aesthetic benefit.
Regards Al

rplabonte 10-11-2011 12:48 PM

Hello Guys: I've got an e-mail off to Andreas regarding the question of the winglets. I should have a definitive answer from him in the next day or two. I'll post his response as soon as I hear back from him............Ray

siclick33 10-12-2011 06:23 AM

I've had a response that seems to suggest that they weren't going to produce the winglets but, as quite a few people have asked for them, then they might (but they still might not[:o]).

If anyone is thinking of buying a Viperjet and wants winglets please ask your reps to tell Andreas;) Hopefully if there is enough interest then we can persuade him:D

schroedm 10-12-2011 10:20 PM

Guys,

Good news!!! The winglets and tip tanks will be available! Seems the concern is over the pain of storing/handling a wing with a large wingtip but I'm sure those that want it will overcome that!.......

"We will have both the winglets and the tiptanks as separate parts. The standard wing will be the extended span tip, which can be cut off and the winglet tip installed.

Wingtips will be available, but the straight tips will have to be cut off. It can be done in the factory if it is requested in time. I strongly recommend to remind every customer of the problems which come with extra bulk and size and handling problems with the wing tips... 90% will wish after some time, they kept the straight wings."

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more info.

Rgds
Mark
Comp-ARF UK Rep

siclick33 10-12-2011 11:12 PM

Wingtips will be available, but the straight tips will have to be cut off.
[X(][X(][X(]

I'll wait and see about this but I'm not too impressed with paying 2500 Euros for a kit and then cutting the wing tips off. The winglets on the Skymaster 2m Viper are separate parts and, on mine, I made them removable with 2 bolts. They weren't permanently attached and there was no cutting of wing tips.

It seems like a step in the right direction for C-ARF to offer them, but it sounds like a bit of a Heath Robinson approach and not the nicely engineered solution that we now come to expect from them.

schroedm 10-13-2011 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Wingtips will be available, but the straight tips will have to be cut off.
[X(][X(][X(]
Darren,

The cutting will be done in the factory if requested in time. So, if you order the winglets it will be a simple option to fit them. If you want to retro fit them then you're back to the sawing and fitting yourself.

Rgds
Mark

siclick33 10-13-2011 12:05 AM

Mark, do you know how much of the tip will have to be removed? What will happen to the paint schemes? Won't they look a bit odd if the tip has been cut off?

schroedm 10-13-2011 01:15 AM

Darren,

I believe the cut will be pretty much where the line is on the sport scheme pictures on the website.

Looking at the schemes it would seem that the black "swoop" would be unaffected and the colour on the leading edge would simply continue onto the winglet.

The whole tip style issue has only just started being discussed but I think it is probably safe to say that, ultimately, you will be able to have the winglets, they'll match the schemes, fit properly and be of normal C-ARF quality. The factory is not going to let some dirty hacked tip sellotaped on :D

Rgds,
Mark

siclick33 12-30-2011 09:22 AM

The dream scheme is now showing in stock and the green sport scheme 'in transit' but still very little in the way of detail and no photos[:@]

Very odd marketing strategy:eek:

flesche 01-16-2012 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this is the first photo of the Viper from Carf

Bob Toilet 01-16-2012 10:37 AM

Hi Geir
You got one all ready? Think i rekognise your workshop:-) Will it be finish to Fagernes?

Christian

flesche 01-16-2012 11:18 AM

Maybe if I get all parts soon, it will be ready but I have some other things on my table so we have to see.

NICLAS 01-18-2012 03:37 AM

Hope to see the Viper at Laxå later.. ;-)
Geir where do you find the time..My day´s are only 24h :-)
/Niclas

flesche 01-18-2012 07:07 AM

Hi Niclaes,I think it will be Karlskoga first time in Sweden because I will travel to Prowing in Germany beginning of may,its only in Sweden a day is 24h.

siclick33 01-25-2012 09:18 AM

Photos are starting to appear on the CARF website.

I must say that, from the pictures available so far, it does look really nice.

Neil Collins 02-18-2012 11:32 AM

Any more news?
Would love to see more photos or a video.
Hopefully someone will do a build thread.

snobird 02-18-2012 12:06 PM

Nell, look on page 3 of this threat. carf viper

zeev barnes 02-24-2012 09:23 AM

HI
IS THIS MODEL CAN FLY WELL WITH KINGTECH 140
PLEASE ADVICE

Dave Wilshere 02-24-2012 11:03 AM

Yes, it will fly fine with 140 size turbines

Regards