RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Yellow F22 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10824590-yellow-f22-build.html)

bigbri 11-23-2011 08:16 PM

RE: Yellow F22 Build

Ok John your killing me with that neat tidy install ! I am NEVER gonna take the canopy off mine when you are around! I really Love flying my yellow f-22. you are gonna have a great plane when you are done!

Later
Brian : )

Ian R 11-24-2011 01:14 AM

gunnradd

Further to my last email re thrust vectoring install

Not sure what the latest instructions say about the servos for the thrust vectoring, but if you can install them on the lower side of formers near the floor of the model and then linked to the bottom of the vector units. mine are on the topeach side of the thrust tube and hence why it is a pain to install, can be done but better and easier on the bottom

hope this helps

Ian

Pat Barnes 11-24-2011 01:56 AM

I have the Christian Diffusion F22 - great flying model! You'll love it! The speed envelope is fantastic - with 15kts or so, my jet will hover with about 20 alpha, and with the tap open it gets moving very nicely! One thing that I noticed about most model Raptors is that the pilots are too large! The Raptor is a huge aircraft - worth putting a smaller scale bust in the cockpit to get the look right! Enjoy the build and the flying.

Cheers - Pat

gunradd 11-24-2011 04:23 AM

Jon thanks for the pics! I know the plane is stealth but install pics have been stealth also lol.

Ian my thrust vectoring I got has the servo connections on the top. I didnt know that you could get them on the bottom. Yellow Aircraft is not making the thrust vectoring at this time and I was lucky to get what I got. Charles told me the guy that made them is not doing it anymore. So those of us that have it we are lucky!!!

I got the gear all painted white. And I am trying to run the engine today on the test bench.

Ian R 11-24-2011 10:20 AM

Ok re vector servos at the top , It is just getting in there even with average size hands.

Once installed I have had no issues.

I did build a little lite ply shield painted with a couple of coats of heat shield between the servos and the pipe just to reduce chance of  radiated heat.

As I said no problems in operation.

Pat B I do agree re pilot size I have "adjusted" mine since the photos I posted earlier

Ian

Shaun Evans 11-24-2011 01:47 PM

Ian,

Thanks very much for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to serve you.

FMRR 11-24-2011 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Jon thanks for the pics! I know the plane is stealth but install pics have been stealth also lol.

Ian my thrust vectoring I got has the servo connections on the top. I didnt know that you could get them on the bottom. Yellow Aircraft is not making the thrust vectoring at this time and I was lucky to get what I got. Charles told me the guy that made them is not doing it anymore. So those of us that have it we are lucky!!!

I got the gear all painted white. And I am trying to run the engine today on the test bench.
Hmmm that would be a problem for a new builder.gunradd can you post some three view pics of what you have so we can try and reproduce it if need be.For those that cant can send the pic's to tam or trusted builder to fabricate.This way the entire thrust vector system would not have to be re engineered. I might even want to scale it down for my Fei bao kit.:D....unless Shawn can give me a great deal on a new yellow kit.;) tomorrow is Black Friday !

Square Nozzle 11-24-2011 07:28 PM

Gunradd, there is an very good and extensive thread on the F-22 that I used while building my plane. Look for "Yellow F-22 CG hinges pics". Good reference for paint color codes, gear door reinforcing, equipment installation etc. I'd put the link on this note but I'm not sure how to do that. Just copy "Yellow F-22 CG hinges pics" and paste it into the search engine block.

jkirkon 11-25-2011 04:16 AM

Here you go.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7087598

Square Nozzle 11-25-2011 05:50 AM

Thanks jkirkon. That's the one. I also learned how to get that link based on your posting.

FMRR 11-26-2011 01:55 PM

jkirkon,Thanks for the link.clguru really put up a really nice build thread(nice work).There were some photos of the vector exhaust I found interesting.looks like a well design and assembled unit.What the story on that? was it after market piece that is no longer available....or can you get it from Shawn or Charles.I beleive gunnradd said he got the last one.And if you have one does it just bolt in..just curious.

gunradd 11-26-2011 02:57 PM

It might be a temp problem at yellow. But charles said the guy that made the thrust vector kit is no longer with them. So at some point in time they will probably get them back. And yes its a very well made unit. Not sure how it attaches yet....... need the plane lol.

Update on the engine runs................... I have a bad ECU and a broken brush on the starter motor. So engine runs are set back a for a while.

smchale 11-26-2011 03:32 PM

Bummer Kris, hopefully that's not the reason you got a good deal on the turbine and the seller helps you get it running as expected.

I-NAV 11-26-2011 09:03 PM

The closest I've come to duplicating the F-22 paint is to mix the standard FS (dark and light grey) with silver. Use 5 parts silver to one part grey. It will look too bright until you shoot the semi-flat clear which really tones it down.

Ian R 11-27-2011 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Vector unit worksvery well and is first class, engineered and build.

The thrust vector unit attaches by four self tapping socket screws to the rear bulk head. screws are fed in between the outer scale petals and the inner thrust tubes.

The two units are actuated by heavy duty ball links from servos by metal push rods. To retrofit you do need the specific thrust tube thatfeeds the vector pipes which sit outside the main thrust tube.

Ian

tp777fo 11-27-2011 06:46 AM

Ian, Just a small point. The real Raptor only has thrust vectoring in the pitch axis. I origanally had mine set up like yours and when I found out I inhibited the roll...but.....if it feels good just do it! What a great jet!

ddennison 11-27-2011 09:12 AM

I am glad to see interest in this F22 again!

I am still flying my 2008 version which has no thrust vectoring. The only thing I have had to do to the plane is change the tires and replace/repair the main door hinge.

I would suggest to those building it to make the main gear door wood hinge mechanism removeable rather than glued in. I screwed mine in with a few reinforcements. it is simple and maintenance is easy this way.

Watch the nose gear mount, with the main gear so far back the nose doesnt touch lightly (no tlike an F15...)

I am not sure if I am envious of the thrust vectoring or glad I dont have the extra weight? I wont be changing mine.

Good luck to those who are getting into this plane, it is stable, fun, has a wide speed envelope and requires little maintenance and had great landing gear!

Dave

Ian R 11-27-2011 10:30 AM

Hi Tom

The photo was just for effect. I don't use anything like that movement.

yes I have programmed it for both elevator and roll, but todate  have only used it in elevator. Was not aware the real 22 only used it it in pitch.

Dave thanks for the feedback, mine has had zero issues so far.

My main doors are removable.

any help I can provide to the others with their 22's let me know

Ian

Ian R 11-27-2011 10:43 AM

shaun

Did you get my RCU pm earlier in the week?

Ian</p>

tp777fo 11-27-2011 01:58 PM

My main doors are removable also. I keep a set of spare hinges.....and need them evey now and than. I boofed the landing gear on mine the last time out and needs repair. I will move the CG back about 1" when I do the repairs. I really think we have it way too far forward at 6.5" I dont get the response from the VT as I would expect.

gunradd 12-06-2011 10:42 AM

Small update.

I got the new ECU from jet central and a new starter and the engine fired up right away. Made plenty of power and is ready to go!!

I hope to have the airframe in the next few weeks to get cranking on the build.

EDIT

Just called yellow and they wont have the airframes until the first of January. Not very excited to say the least. 3 month wait for a kit is a bit much. But still glad I didnt get the jetlegend F22. Yellow looks much more scale. So I guess I wait.

smchale 12-06-2011 12:46 PM

Great news Kris! [8D]
Don't you just love waiting. [:@]

tp777fo 12-06-2011 03:29 PM

Trust me...it is well worth the wait!

k_sonn 12-06-2011 03:34 PM

Awesome Kris. I bet you've built and flown the F-22 at least 100 times in your dreams.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif The wait will be well worth it.

Kirk

gunradd 12-06-2011 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Trust me...it is well worth the wait!

Tom do you think one could build and fly the F22 in primer in a month and a half?? With the wings being glassed already what is the most time consuming part?

I am going to order some carbon fibre plates and make the trays for the engine componets and get all that done now that the engine is dialed in. Tom is the trays Shaun made for the F22 ARF the way to go for easy access? I think I will copy his but in carbon instead.